General Motors Pickup Trucks With NMO Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8WJG

This is something that I've noticed over the years, but never took the time to really question. Some older GM trucks (S10, 1500-series, and others) have a NMO roof-mounted antenna (or at the very least, just the chrome bezel) mounted at the center rear of the cab roof. The majority of the ones that I've seen with antennas/and or NMO mounts appear to be regular, privately-owned vehicles. I know that trucks like these were often used as company fleet vehicles for public service, and utility or construction companies.

Did certain production runs of GM trucks just automatically have a NMO roof mount as standard equipment?

The most recent one I saw in person was here in my hometown in the Dollar General parking lot. It looked like a 1987 or '88 S-10, and sure enough, it had a stubby spike for either UHF or 800 on the cab roof. And the occupant of said truck didn't appear to be a radio user, though you never know for sure.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, not a factory option on any of those trucks.

Like you suggested, probably an old fleet vehicle, city vehicle, etc. The rear of the cab was an easy place to install the antenna, and simply leaving it in place is easier than removing and plugging the hole. I've got a neighbor down the street that has an old airport truck with an NMO VHF antenna still on it.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Plus most fleets will not reuse those mounts (take out and put in another vehicle).

They are cheap enough usually about 20ish for mount and cable to just install new ones on new vehicles.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It was not that long ago that cellular required a mobile phone installation. So contractor vehicles and farm vehicles might have had a phone installed and then removed.

jhooten

There is a channel that runs all the way across the back of the roof to the C-Pillars. After drilling the hole the cable is stiff enough to push through the channel yet flexible enough to make the bend down into the c-pillar while being heavy enough to gravity feed down the pillar all the way to the cab floor. Fold the seat forward the cable will be laying on the floor. All can be done without dropping the headliner or removing any fittings.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
I have an 87 Chevy square body with 13K on it in my garage right now, it's not only an awesome looking truck, it's a time machine that I ordered in 1986.

Status
Not open for further replies.