General NXDN / Danville NXDN question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneadam12-va

Since getting the upgrades for my 436 and listening to all of the services for the City of Danville, why do some of the services come across distorted at times, sounding like the adults in the old "Peanuts" cartoons, i.e police and fire dispatch and sometimes the individual units responding...to yesterday listening to the utility department both the dispatch and field units sounded like they were right in my living room talking...just a query?

Last edited:

mymman

Premium Subscriber
I am not having that NXDN problem with SDS100. There are times the PD will use the old analog frequency to dispatch the rescue squad and those have considerable static and distortion at times.

oneadam12-va

I was looking at the SDS100...I still may get one...to pick up the mess that the Pittsylvania County radio system became. Have you had any success with that system?
The dispatch center is going to keep the analog "dispatch" frequencies for both DLC and FD...and yes they do come through very distorted at times which is unfortunate...

mymman

Premium Subscriber
The Pittsylvania County systems are challenge for me. I have had no success with them. I am still working on it.

About buying a SDS100: If you want the portability of a handheld, that's your unit for you. It is solid and gives good reception in Danville. Just keep it so air flows around it so the SDSdoes not get so hot, solder joints melt. I am on my third 100 - the other two failed (under warranty).

For a few dollars more, the SDS200 is a very solid, reliable receiver. It does a much better job with analog compared to the 100. To me, it was worth the extra money. One shortcoming is the backlight cannot be made to stay on longer. A patent/copyright issue keeps Uniden from having the light stay on during a received signal. But, unlike the 100, you also cannot keep the light on all the time.

oneadam12-va

I actually like the 436...it gives me the coverage I want...although still might pick up the 100...
Handheld works better for me anyway...

danceredt

Gentlemen,
I could really use your help. I have 1 each sds 100 and SDs200 both upgraded with NXDN. Not heard any thing on any system. All other services on p25 and older freq. Work good. The reason for getting them was to listen to local incident. I program both with lastest version of ARC Software. I have tried uiden with no luck. I need local help with my install or setup. Looking forward to any suggestions.

mymman

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

We have a lot in common - I also live in Danville and have both the 100 and 200. They were programmed with Sentinel and ProScan, mostly with Sentinel. So far, I have had very few problems getting the local PD and Fire/EMS dispatches. I did save the analog frequencies for rescue squad calls.

These may not help in your setup, but try them. First update you scanners' firmware and database. Then set the Range to 0.5 miles. This will prevent hearing so many things you don't want. In Sentinel click on Edit>Edit Profile>Location Settings. Change the default Range setting.

Danville has five Sites. You may avoid all but the one closest to you. This is like choosing South Simulcast for the county and White Oak Mountain for state police.

Do you now pick up the county and the state troopers? Also, how did you get the NXDN upgrade?

If you would like to chat, send me a personal message with your phone number and the best time to call.

mymman

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

We have a lot in common - I live in Danville and have both the 100 and 200. They were programmed with Sentinel and ProScan. So far, I have had very few problems getting the local PD and Fire/EMS dispatches. I did save the analog frequencies for rescue squad calls.

These may not help in your setup, but try them. First update you scanners' firmware and database. Then set the Range to 0.5 miles. This will prevent hearing so many things you don't want. In Sentinel click on Edit>Edit Profile>Locatiin

Status
Not open for further replies.