• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

general programming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
while at work today i had my radio which has the frequency used by the company i work for(dept store). When i was talking to one of the managers and thought someone wanted to talk to her on the radio. she resopnded(LOL) then heard 2 people go back and forth with a conversation. now i know our radios dont use any pl tones at all. which made me think that the other people using same business frequency were using one because they didnt say anything that made me think otherwise.

Why would a Business that both programs and sells radios not program a pl into the radios?

Edit: found company that is possibly using same frequency. company is located right next to us lol

Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Because someone was DUMB! There is no reason with as many tones (both analog and digital) why the shop didn't program them in.

vinzep491

Are you guys using a personal biz freq, or some type of public band.

I know most dept stores will use your typical generic bubble pack radios, MURS GRMS ect

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
we are using vertex standard radios with a freq of 467.925. my radio is an icom. from my workings with the radio company yeah they are stupid. strange as it may sound there is what sounds like a restauraunt using the same freq yet with some more adjustments with the squelch and being they are far enough away it dont seem to be an issue until today when i could hear some other company talking as if i were right next to them

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
While i was at work today i worked about 2 hours before i realized that when the managers used the radios they had essentially put what i call a band-aid on their radios. they didnt call up the company who sold them the radios/programmed them years ago. instead they changed to a different frequency that they are licensed to use.

now this frequency that they chose still has some interference from other business yet when i look it up the other company legally has the right to use said frequency. Problem is the managers know nothing about radios or that a simple reprogram of the radio adding pl's would fix the issue.

i will never understand why the company they got the radios from years ago would not program a pl :/

alphacommnj

i will never understand why the company they got the radios from years ago would not program a pl :/

Here is some inspiration...
A large department store I used to work for had over 20 radios in use for managers and security utilizing 4-5 channels. The radios in use were Kenwood TK3300s programmed to FRS/GMRS with no PL/DPL tone! We would constantly get static when the radio sat near a computer monitor and would hear the bubble pack radio beeps from kids in the nearby stores in the mall. I could never figure out why in the world we would not have a PL tone, but also why we didn't have a licensed business frequency?!

Answer: after doing a little detective work, I found out the original radios used by that company were Kenwood TK-3101 2 watt radios. Back when, these radios came pre-programmed with FRS/GMRS channels on CSQ, no PL. as the company bought new radios over the years, the dealer would just program the new radios to match the existing ones... No one ever bothered to question it.

So, a likely explanation to your store.

Status
Not open for further replies.