• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

General Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

_DeS_

Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
96
Location
Cape Breton Regional Municipality
Greetings All,
First off, I must say that this is an amazing site & community filled with so much info and much appreciated.

I have some questions as I'am very new to scanning and looking for some general information to make an educated desicion before purchasing a scanner.

I have opted to post in the Eastern Canada section as that is the area I'am from and have questions regarding said area. If I have posted in the wrong area, my deepest apologies.

On with the questions.

I live in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, specifically the Glace Bay \ Sydney Area. I was wondering first off what model of a handheld (preferably) or base, would be best suited for my area, that would give me the best coverage of groups ie. Police, Fire , EMS etc. aswell as performance, features & functionality. It seems that im getting mixed information on what type of features and functionality I would need in a handheld.

I know it probably a question asked time and time again, but I would really like to get some opinions on models before I make a purchase.

I really appreciate anyones input.

Thanks again.
 

scnnr

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2001
Messages
1,040
Location
Manitoba, Canada
For a start take a look at this link for some information on your area. It may help you in deciding what kind of scanner you wish to purchase.

http://members.accesswave.ca/~scan/accessopening.htm

EDUT:[/U] I see that there is a lot of digital stuff that can be monitored in your area also. I have a Radio Shack pro 96 as well as the 2096 both work excellent with digital tg's. You may want to go with a analog scanner if you don't want to spend the money on expensive digital one. The choice is yours but hopefully some of the scanner buffs in the Maritimes will speak up and give you some input.
 
Last edited:

_DeS_

Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
96
Location
Cape Breton Regional Municipality
scnnr said:
For a start take a look at this link for some information on your area. It may help you in deciding what kind of scanner you wish to purchase.

http://members.accesswave.ca/~scan/accessopening.htm

EDUT:[/U] I see that there is a lot of digital stuff that can be monitored in your area also. I have a Radio Shack pro 96 as well as the 2096 both work excellent with digital tg's. You may want to go with a analog scanner if you don't want to spend the money on expensive digital one. The choice is yours but hopefully some of the scanner buffs in the Maritimes will speak up and give you some input.


Thanks for your input. I have been to that site you have mentioned recently and it seems to only make reference to the pro 96 in the section "what scanner should I buy" so i have definatley been giving this model some thought, as it seems quite popular. You say there is alot of digital in my area ? Like I said this is all new to me, I was under the assumption that only the RCMP were digital... ??? But what do I know...Thats why I have drawn upon the resources of member here...

Thanks again for your reply....
 

scnnr

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2001
Messages
1,040
Location
Manitoba, Canada
_DeS_ said:
Thanks for your input. I have been to that site you have mentioned recently and it seems to only make reference to the pro 96 in the section "what scanner should I buy" so i have definatley been giving this model some thought, as it seems quite popular. You say there is alot of digital in my area ? Like I said this is all new to me, I was under the assumption that only the RCMP were digital... ??? But what do I know...Thats why I have drawn upon the resources of member here...

Thanks again for your reply....
If you go to the Database in this site http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR and click on the various Maratime provinces you will see that the new Nova Scotia Provincial Trunked Mobile Radio (TMR) is a mixed bag of analog and digital tg's. A for analog and D for the Digital ones. As you will see Halifax police and RCMP are all digital. That is why I suggested the Pro 96 for a portable. I have had one for 3 yrs and it is a great digital scanner.

Randy
 

scnnr

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2001
Messages
1,040
Location
Manitoba, Canada
DeS

Looking over the last link that I sent you, you could get by with a analog scanner just fine as long as you don't mind missing out on the digital talk groups, that means Halifax Police and the RCMP. Otherwise you would be able to monitor plenty of other stuff in both Trunking and conventional frequencies.

I just hope that maybe tomorrow someone in your area will pipe up and give a you a little local advise. I also have a Pro 97 analog scanner in my shack, that I am quite happy with also. It is on sale down in the States at Radio Shack for $150.00.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102425&cp=2032052.2032072&allCount=14&fbn=Channel+memory%2F1000+Channels&f=PAD%2FMemory+Channels%2F1000+Channels&fbc=1&parentPage=family


I mention the Radio Shack ( GRE ) Scanners only becuase I personally prefer the digital sound quality to them over the Uniden ones. " Personal choice". I have had quite a few and still do have quite a few Uniden Scanners over the years also. Whatever you decide to go with just be sure to at least get a analog Trunk Tracking Scanner.
 
Last edited:

_DeS_

Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
96
Location
Cape Breton Regional Municipality
scnnr said:
DeS

Looking over the last link that I sent you, you could get by with a analog scanner just fine as long as you don't mind missing out on the digital talk groups, that means Halifax Police and the RCMP. Otherwise you would be able to monitor plenty of other stuff in both Trunking and conventional frequencies.

I just hope that maybe tomorrow someone in your area will pipe up and give a you a little local advise. I also have a Pro 97 analog scanner in my shack, that I am quite happy with also. It is on sale down in the States at Radio Shack for $150.00.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102425&cp=2032052.2032072&allCount=14&fbn=Channel+memory%2F1000+Channels&f=PAD%2FMemory+Channels%2F1000+Channels&fbc=1&parentPage=family

I mention the Radio Shack ( GRE ) Scanners only becuase I personally prefer the digital sound quality to them over the Uniden ones. " Personal choice". I have had quite a few and still do have quite a few Uniden Scanners over the years also. Whatever you decide to go with just be sure to at least get a analog Trunk Tracking Scanner.
Hey Scnnr,
Yea im hoping some locals will add some input aswell, mind you your posts are of great help and I appreciate them. I think from what im reading that im better off going with something from Radio Shack, seem to have the better reviews on those models. You have mentioned the RMCMP & Halifax Police being digital, I was in the mind set that the means the local RCMP activity around this area is very minimal, dealing with mostly first nation affairs & federal issues, that it would not be worht the extra money to get a digital model, as far as the Halifax police, I would assume that I would be to far away in Glace Bay to be able to monitor that group anyway, its a good 5 hour drive to Halifax Regional, but like I said im only new nad could be wrong lol. See the problem lays with the fact that even though I will probably never use the digital feature of a model, I'm a bells and whistles kind of guy like to haev it all lol. But the cost seems to be a major contributing factor, as there is quite a diff between prices with Digital & Analog models.

Thank you for the link to the radio shack model you have provided, I think this model will serve just fine, the only concern with that is , Will Radio Shack US ship to Canada ? and if so I wonder if there will be any hassles at Customs. I'm thinking on probaly buying VIA Ebay..Im currently looking at a Uniden BC296D, although its uniden the price is very nice so far...See where it becomes and issue is the fact that everyone leans so heavily on the Radio Shack models.....The Uniden BC296D seems to have a lot of bells and whistles :)

Looking forward to hearing more from you. Thanks again...
 

imcleish

Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2004
Messages
264
Location
Durham Region and Parry Sound, Ontario
I would also suggest you review the Uniden 246T and 330T models (analog). Myself I am a Uniden fan, and own a 246T, I would replace it with the 330T being it has more options/user adjustables.

When pricing, I am sad to say, the US market, even after shipping and duty provides a better price than the Canadian market. As for warranty service, Uniden has a service depot in canada that does their warranty work so you will not face having to export/re-import if repairs are needed.

Hope this helps,

Ian
 

scnnr

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2001
Messages
1,040
Location
Manitoba, Canada
You could make a inquiry with this information if this number still is active as to whether or not they still ship up to Canada. That sale price on the pro97 may not apply here.

Try Hazel Pointer @ the Radio Shack International desk 1-800-223-8344

This is how some have had things shipped up from Radio Shack in Texas.

I personally deal with Glen at http://scannersunlimited.com/

Excellent customer service.

Oh and Ian, I have been considering getting a 246 T, I take it you are pleased with it.
 
Last edited:

_DeS_

Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
96
Location
Cape Breton Regional Municipality
Thanks again guys for all the help...

Well I think that I have decided on the Pro 97 as much as I would love a pro 96 but price is a factor.....

So whats everyones take on my area ( Cape Breton, Sydney\Glace Bay ) and the pro 97?

Looking forward to the comments....
 
Last edited:

rhutch

Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
568
Location
Ontario
imcleish said:
I would also suggest you review the Uniden 246T and 330T models (analog). Myself I am a Uniden fan, and own a 246T, I would replace it with the 330T being it has more options/user adjustables.

When pricing, I am sad to say, the US market, even after shipping and duty provides a better price than the Canadian market. As for warranty service, Uniden has a service depot in canada that does their warranty work so you will not face having to export/re-import if repairs are needed.

Hope this helps,

Ian
Warrant depot in Canada? Where's that? I had to send mine to Texas to get fixed, they paid so it wasn't a big deal.
 

rhutch

Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
568
Location
Ontario
My only question is which is faster sending it to the US for repair at the factory (where they most likely have the parts or will at least get them first) or waiting for a small repair depot to fix it. It's funny because for the silk screen recall you had to send it to Texas, I was one of the first because they didn't actually know how to ship it. Another question is do they actually do the repair or are they just a middle man and take the scanners in hold onto them and then send them to the States, I've had that happen before with other products.
 

scnnr

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2001
Messages
1,040
Location
Manitoba, Canada
_DeS_ said:
Sooo...Any local hobbiests ? Cape Breton ( Sydney \ Glace Bay )
If you do decide to order a pro 97 be sure to get the pc cable for it, Makes programming the scanner much easier. You have a couple of choices for cables the serial or if you use a laptop and prefer a USB Scanner Programming Cable try this link.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2177609&cp=2032052

Then you would download Win 97 and program the scanner via that software.

Here is a sample of what some conventional stuff would look like using web import.
 
Last edited:

_DeS_

Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
96
Location
Cape Breton Regional Municipality
Hey scnnr,
Yea i was looking at that win97 im gonna grab it when i get my pro 97. Aswell grab a cable with it. I was looking at that webimport feature looks like you have to be a contributing memeber ? i assume a donation...thats cool...

I noticed you had some sydney stuff in win97 are you local or were just demonstrating ? if you dont mind me asking...

Best regards...
 

scnnr

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2001
Messages
1,040
Location
Manitoba, Canada
_DeS_ said:
Hey scnnr,
Yea i was looking at that win97 im gonna grab it when i get my pro 97. Aswell grab a cable with it. I was looking at that webimport feature looks like you have to be a contributing memeber ? i assume a donation...thats cool...

I noticed you had some sydney stuff in win97 are you local or were just demonstrating ? if you dont mind me asking...

Best regards...
Sorry not local, I am in Winnipeg. I was just giving you a demo shot there of how the Win 97 program looks. That was made using the web import feauture in Win97. ;)
 

_DeS_

Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
96
Location
Cape Breton Regional Municipality
scnnr said:
Sorry not local, I am in Winnipeg. I was just giving you a demo shot there of how the Win 97 program looks. That was made using the web import feauture in Win97. ;)

I didnt figured id be lucky enough to find a local hobiest...but greatly appreciate the screeny. Looks a bit overwhelming...lots in there..ill have to wait to give it a look see...as its a demo and dont want it to expire before i get my unit... Am i correct in saying that one needs to donate inorder to utilize the web import feature ?

Thanks again...
 

rhutch

Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
568
Location
Ontario
_DeS_ said:
I didnt figured id be lucky enough to find a local hobiest...but greatly appreciate the screeny. Looks a bit overwhelming...lots in there..ill have to wait to give it a look see...as its a demo and dont want it to expire before i get my unit... Am i correct in saying that one needs to donate inorder to utilize the web import feature ?

Thanks again...
The best 5 bucks you'll spend.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top