Genesee County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozie45

Premium Subscriber
My apologies if this has been addressed already, but I couldn't find the thread...

Does anyone know the start date for the Genesee county P-25 phase two system?

Thanks all,

Rozie45

odbrochound

Phase 2

The system is already up and working, the highway departments have been on it for a while. Most fire apparatus has the new radios installed but emergency services are still using the old system until they say otherwise. The handheld radios were being set up last I saw ( article in thebatavian.com ). The current 800 MHz analog system was supposed to be switched of by the end of the month, don't know if that is still the schedule.

Rozie45

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update. I didn't realize it was happening this soon. I thought for sure it may have been delayed for some reason...

Thanks,

Rozie45

odbrochound

Thunderbolt: I don't know the frequencies heard both 700 & 800 MHz mentioned. Saving to buy a 436. Rozie45: I heard it was the FCC that set the deadline of when we have to be off the current freqs.

Rozie45

Premium Subscriber
The deadline would make sense from the commission. This relates back to a freq swap some years ago with regard to the wireless companies.

odbrochound

No, the old system was Motorola Analog whereas the new system is Harris P25 Phase 2, I know there are going to be many more talk groups.

D

DaveNF2G

There is no reason for the FCC to set any sort of deadline for moving from an 800 MHz trunked system to a different type of trunked system.

If there is a "deadline," then it was probably set by whoever wrote the specs for the new system.

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
FCC had a part in it, not completely though...

They have to vacate the 851.0125 frequency due to rebanding.

tpg

Rozie45

Premium Subscriber
TPG,

I understood the same thing.....it all centered around vacating frequencies, thus the deadline.

The learning curve on new (large) systems can be overwhelming for the guys in the field as well as the dispatchers. They never as go as designed or what's written (in the manual, coverage contours, software, etc).

Rozie45

D

DaveNF2G

FCC had a part in it, not completely though...

They have to vacate the 851.0125 frequency due to rebanding.

tpg

That doesn't make much sense. That frequency is within the NPSPAC band and the system is a public safety system. Is there a coordination issue with Canada?

Rozie45

Premium Subscriber
I'm not so sure the whole thing centered on an 800 Mhz freq...

AND Canada is always an issue. Sorry for not remembering the entire story. It's been a couple of years since the whole thing began. My (local) contact at the commission has since retired too.

Rozie45

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
That doesn't make much sense. That frequency is within the NPSPAC band and the system is a public safety system. Is there a coordination issue with Canada?

That frequency is (new) NPSPAC, however it's also 8CALL90, so the county couldn't use it as a system channel any longer.

Due to proximity to Canada, the border areas did not have a straight rebanding. Not all of 851-854 is US primary, and the other parts of the 800 band are different than the rest of the US, so systems had to reshuffle more so than other parts of the country.

And the NPSAC emission mask is different than old general category channels. Equipment had to support that (NPSPAC mask in 851-854), or it required replacement.

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
Thunderknight is correct.

The 851.01250 being 8CALL90 was as a result of rebanding. DUE TO REBANDING, the channel is now an interop channel and cannot be used for a trunked system.

The reason Genesee is migrating so soon is because of the Sprint / Nextel rebanding deadline. Sprint / Nextel paid a chunk of money for the change of frequency. Genesee must comply with the dates, otherwise they pay a fine per day they are not in compliance with the rebanding agreement.

tpg

Rozie45

Premium Subscriber
Thanks men,

It's all coming back to me now. I do in fact remember the Sprint/Nextel circus.

Also thanks for the update on the frequency 8CALL90...didn't know about that one.

D

DaveNF2G

Aaargh. I didn't even recognize it as an interop. Sorry about that.

odbrochound

The changeover to the Harris system is 07:00hrs 2/26/2014 the fire pager frequency of 46.12 will not change until summer when it will go to a VHF freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.