Genessee siren test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup.. a citizen can call and let them know it is working and rotating (if it rotates)... Mainly Amateur Radio OP's will call in as where I came from NOAA would control the local repeater during the test to communicate with the hams about them...
And where I am at now, Wayne county, they went off today too..

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about the rest of Wayne County, or the rest of the state for that matter, but in Livonia the sirens are tested on the first Saturday of the month at 1 PM, it has been that way for over 30 years now.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Our SKYWARN group in Calhoun County checks the sirens every month. Our Net Control then emails the report to the EM's for the city and county. We only check the ones in the western half of the county, because the density of sirens in the metro area usually uses up our available manpower.

nvanw27

River Central, TVC
a lot of the sirens throughout the state go at 1 PM on the first saturday.... as for Calhoun Co, i've heard them checking the 15 sirens in BC proper before, the one at the rest area didn't work for a long time.

there's a frequency somewhere in genesee county where the sirens are activated... does anyone know what frequency that is? It's a whole bunch of data being transmitted

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
a lot of the sirens throughout the state go at 1 PM on the first saturday.... as for Calhoun Co, i've heard them checking the 15 sirens in BC proper before, the one at the rest area didn't work for a long time.

there's a frequency somewhere in genesee county where the sirens are activated... does anyone know what frequency that is? It's a whole bunch of data being transmitted
It could be data, or it could be 2-tone sequential, like the fire pagers; that's what Calhoun uses.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin

I believe its multiple frequencies. I know there's multiple control systems interlinked. So not necessarily repeatered, but relayed.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Anyone remember when S.E. Michigan had huge siren towers with what looked like car engines on them powering mechical rotary/rotating sirens with big square horns painted yellow? I've been unable to find a picture. The new ones around Macomb, MI are quite compact and don't even rotate. I think their all electronic now, no moving parts.

Old school sirens...similar to what we had:

They look something like this:

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
Anyone remember when S.E. Michigan had huge siren towers with what looked like car engines on them powering mechical rotary/rotating sirens with big square horns painted yellow? I've been unable to find a picture. The new ones around Macomb, MI are quite compact and don't even rotate. I think their all electronic now, no moving parts.

Old school sirens...similar to what we had:
View attachment 75973

They look something like this:

View attachment 75972
The model in your bottom picture can also be used for voice. The Battle Creek Air Guard Base and the V.A. Hospital each have a couple.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
They test our system once a week, Saturday at noon, weather permitting. I know it must be irritating for those residents who live close to one of the 10 quadrillion (+/-) watt speakers. They can be tested silently and the city did that when they were first installed but apparently, the populace felt a sense of security knowing they worked and wanted the Saturday ritual to continue. And, so it does.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The model in your bottom picture can also be used for voice. The Battle Creek Air Guard Base and the V.A. Hospital each have a couple.

Most, if not all, USAF bases have that. It is called Giant Voice, and used for passing combat information to base occupants. (Attack warnings, the "all clear", etc...)

nvanw27

River Central, TVC
Last thing here, but DrDispatch, would you happen to know why the Pennfield Twp. Offices siren was disconnected? Last time it ran (February Test) it got stuck doing the full cycle and the radio could not recieve the cancel tones, eluding to a radio failure. Is this why it was disconnected?

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
Last thing here, but DrDispatch, would you happen to know why the Pennfield Twp. Offices siren was disconnected? Last time it ran (February Test) it got stuck doing the full cycle and the radio could not recieve the cancel tones, eluding to a radio failure. Is this why it was disconnected?
I hadn't heard about that, but that's probably why it was disabled. I would think that they would have had it working by now; maybe they had to order parts. I'll ask about that on the next SKYWARN net, since that's when we'll be signing up to monitor sirens for the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.