Georgia DOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I am seeing a few Georgia Department Of Transportation vehicles in my area Peach County/Byron. What frequencies do they operate on?

Last edited:

KA4MLK

Premium Subscriber
GDOT

I am seeing a few Georgia Department Of Transportation vehicles in my area Peach County/Byron. What frequencies do they operate on?

Back in the day, DOT maintenance used to operate on 47.xx MHz, and their laboratories were VHF 151.xxx. However, those were abandoned years ago when the agency went iDEN via SouthernLinc. I think the VHF ones were reassigned to the GSP.

I was a state radio technician in the 70's and 80's, and that has been a while back...but this is what I remember.

KA4MLK

Premium Subscriber
Legacy systems

Yup...the only other iDEN carrier (in the USA, AFAIK) was Nextel, absorbed/bought by Sprint. They decommissioned that iDEN system awhile back.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
There still exists AirPeak Communications.
They are a small iDEN provider in Riverside county, CA with coverage into the Mexico border.

Sprint murdered iDEN in June 2013. The coveted 860MHz spectrum is now known as band 26 "extended CLR" and Sprint has EVDO and LTE there.

Southern Linc is alot like a high ranking White house guy that speaks in duality. One press release says they plan to implement LTE as a data solution alongside iDEN, the other suggests that LTE will replace iDEN. Their selection of WAVE suggests the latter being the case.

Being that MSI no longer is developing any new iDEN handsets, and most FNE is in extended support phase, it's safe to say LTE will replace SoCo's iDEN and be another LTE player on band 26 along side Sprint.

The state loves Southern LINC. The real question is: with First Net coming, how will SoCo and the state respond? SoCo has a robust network and backhaul for their iDEN, if they do the same thing for LTE, it will be hard to beat and whatever cartel (AT&T) gets the First Net buildout will have tough competition that is well entrenched with many government users.

KA4MLK

Premium Subscriber
I agree. Even though the Rivada Mercury lawsuit has not officially been decided, rumor has it that the AT&T bid will be accepted. My uninformed guess is that the state will opt out of First Net, and just go with SoCo, mainly due to the fact that SoCo will have their system up and running WAY before the First Net build-out.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I wish they would bring back direct connect one of the features to have for a phone. But anyways thank you everyone for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.