Georgia Law Enforcement Mobile Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

nunyax

I came across a ULS application from the State of Georgia for their 700 MHz statewide license WPTZ768. It had an attached letter describing the Georgia Law Enforcement Mobile Network and an attached chart for the state's 700 MHz channel utilization.

From the letter:

The GLEMN uses land mobile vehicle repeaters to serve the entire state, and provides coverage in each of the counties/cities in Georgia. The system consists of over 2200 vehicle repeaters that roam the state providing coverage to over 90% of its population and geographic territory. There are over 5600 mobile and portable units in operation on the system.

The GLEMN name is new to me. A Google search couldn't find anything with that name. My first though was it that it might be a part of the Georgia Interoperability Network but I don't think that is the case. The 700 MHz frequencies listed don't include either of the two previously found GSP 'Pac-RT' frequencies so I don't know if they're referring to that type of 'vehicle repeater.' They may be worth monitoring.

Attachments

• letter.pdf
    9.7 KB · Views: 438
  • 700chart.pdf
    7.3 KB · Views: 480

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Simply put, "GLEMN" is nothing more than another acronym thought up by some GTA project manager to describe the use of the FutureComm DVRS rollout in state public safety vehicles.

Futurecom Systems Group: Digital Vehicular Repeater System (DVRS)

Personally, this is a long time coming and nothing really new. GSP has been using "extenders" comprising of UHF analog portables interfaced with their VHF high band mobiles for decades. All the way back to the days when troopers carried UHF Motorola Expo portables that connected to a Micor/Mitrek or Syntor high power 100 VHF.

The new method involves using their rollout of P25 VHF high powered mobiles and 700/800 digital portables. Makes perfect sense and I think the state has finally figured out that the pipe dream of some high budget 700/800MHz statewide trunking system is lunacy and this is a perfect solution.

For once, they get it right.

Law enforcement can carry a 700/800 portable for use in urban areas or suburbs where existing 700/800 digital (and analog) radio systems exist for interoperability with those agencies, and they can access the state P25 (and analog) VHF systems via their DVRS. This means superb in-building coverage while talking out on their VHF systems (which are built for mobile coverage anyway), and yet still have coordination with local agencies in areas that have trunking systems.

I am glad to see this kind of thinking, the cool thing about the FutureComms is that they support true digital to digital operation when repeating, so no loss of audio, delay, and the repeaters themselves are "smart". Three troopers show up on a scene, the repeaters "talk" to each other and prevent them from interfering with each other.

nunyax

While the license WPTZ682 is active, the application is inactive showing '06/13/2014 Offlined for Engineering Review.' The license had a 1st required buildout date of 06/13/2014 and this application was the 1st required notification. The 2nd buildout deadline is 06/13/2019.

From the applications attached letter:

Ref: First Substantial Service Showing Benchmark for Call Sign WPTZ768

To Whom It May Concern,

The State of Georgia files the attached showing to demonstrate compliance with the first substantial
service benchmark of coverage of 1/3 of the state population by June 13, 2014.
Rule section 90.529 (b)(1) requires the state to “certify on or before the applicable benchmark that it is
providing or prepared to provide “substantial service” to one-third of their population or territory by
June 13, 2014.” Rule Section 90.529 (c) states “The Commission will deem a state “prepared to provide
substantial service” if the licensee certifies that a radio system has been approved and funded for
implementation by the deadline date. “Substantial service” refers to the construction of 700 MHz
facilities by public safety entities providing service which is sound, favorable, and substantially above a
level of mediocre service which just might minimally warrant renewal.
I haven't heard anything on them either. Since they're vehicle repeaters, I guess you have to be close to one to hear it.

kc4wai

I'm surprised you don't see this used more. Especially in more rural areas with smaller populations where 700/800 trunking would be overkill. I've often thought this would be more practical for Fire and EMS in such areas. Infrastructure ain't cheap.

I have monitored some GSP activity on the old VHF 2 freq simplex channels in and around Athens. But it's been a while since I've listened. Also check the "state band" frequencies. I have heard activity on those more recently. Most of the troopers I've seen recently carry Moto XTS2500s for interoperability and in vehicle repeater use.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
90% of GSP, DRN, GBI (pretty much all state law enforcement) is conducted in rural areas over long distances. The VHF P-25 is all they will need for two way radio communications for the foreseeable future. All the troopers, ranger, GBI already have the 700/800 portables for extender use and DTRS interop.

Very glad they have finally realized that statewide trunking is a complete waste of money and not needed unless 5 more Atlanta size metro areas all the sudden pop up in various parts of the state LOL.

blue5011

Very glad they have finally realized that statewide trunking is a complete waste of money and not needed unless 5 more Atlanta size metro areas all the sudden pop up in various parts of the state LOL.

Minnesota has a state-wide 800mhz P25 network (MN ARMER) for all LEO's, DOT, Fire, DNR, county sheriff, and EMS. It works well and is very robust, for once it was government money well spent. I don't know why it wouldn't work in GA. There is generally two tower sites per county and placed aprx 20 miles apart.

With the exception of the coastal low country, Georgia is much like northern MN, hilly and forested. There are two sites in my county, each w/ one control channel and three voice channels. The metro area (Mpls-St Paul) have additional "simulcast/ relay" sites.

N8IAA

Minnesota has a state-wide 800mhz P25 network (MN ARMER) for all LEO's, DOT, Fire, DNR, county sheriff, and EMS. It works well and is very robust, for once it was government money well spent. I don't know why it wouldn't work in GA. There is generally two tower sites per county and placed aprx 20 miles apart.

With the exception of the coastal low country, Georgia is much like northern MN, hilly and forested. There are two sites in my county, each w/ one control channel and three voice channels. The metro area (Mpls-St Paul) have additional "simulcast/ relay" sites.

Understand something about this state, it is bogged down in the 1800's. There is a state system that is in place, but the counties don't want to have anything to do with it. There are even counties that are building two systems that can't work together. They don't want to have anything to do with using common systems.
A lot of counties/cities have gone to DMR and NXDN. Georgia State Patrol is building out communication centers using P-25 conventional repeaters. They are even combining with the GA DNR.
The use of GLEMN, and other frequencies is becoming more wide spread for GSP, DNR, and GBI. But, you won't find much being said in the GA forum on RR. There are a couple of groups that are more in the know in GA.
Larry

Last edited:

blue5011

Understand something about this state, it is bogged down in the 1800's. There is a state system that is in place, but the counties don't want to have anything to do with it. There are even counties that are building two systems that can't work together. They don't want to have anything to do with using common systems.
A lot of counties/cities have gone to DMR and NXDN. Georgia State Patrol is building out communication centers using P-25 conventional repeaters. They are even combining with the GA DNR.
The use of GLEMN, and other frequencies is becoming more wide spread for GSP, DNR, and GBI. But, you won't find much being said in the GA forum on RR. There are a couple of groups that are more in the know in GA.
Larry
I was going to post something to that effect (bogged down in the 1800's), but I didn't want to seem as though I was a "Yankee" trying to interfere w/ the separate counties, who would rather do things "their way...". Where I lived in coastal GA (1990's), the local VHF system worked quite well.

I am thoroughly surprised MN ARMER system turned out as good as it did. I have worked for the government, and lord knows they can "front-door" things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.