Georgia low and weather network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me what the frequency is of the Georgia weather network is? It was a communication network between the 911 centers/agencies on low and simplex.
thanks. I tried to lol it up in the database, but to no avail.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Georgia and I worked with emergency management for many years but I've never heard of it either.

The closest thing to it might be ham networks that activate during bad weather but those vary throughout the state and would use whatever frequency the hams usually use in their area.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
One other thing: Our 911 Center hasn't had any low band freqs since I first got involved and that was in the early 70s.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The last low band stuff in our EMA was taken out of service in the 2000s. I have a Vertex VX-5500 sitting in a box that was programmed in 2003. All the EMAs were required to have a low band radio, and until about 10 years ago, to operate a "rescue vehicle" a low band radio capable of operating on GEMA's 46MHz allocations used to be a requirement, ancient regulations that never got "enforced". GEMA scrapped that system around the same time, and most of the low band stuff was decommissioned. A couple of jurisdictions still use VHF low band for weather siren activation, but that's about it.

Firebuff880

The Freq was 45.56 and GEMA had a base in the Wooden Shack across from the DOT entrance and adjacent to the Sprint/Nexel shed at the base of the tower there. As well as one on Stone mtn. The local was on a dry pair DC Tone control while the Stn Mtn was an a Bellsouth 4-Wire. The Stn Mtn base went away due to budget and costs involved to maintain it as I recall, the unit on property may or may not be there still. But that building was nasty 10+ years ago, the last time I was in it. .

Yes, in the old days, anytime the NWS issued a watch or Warning an operator would go over to the printer, tear off the sheet and read the notice over the low band system as well as the "state" 4-Wire NAWS system. This was mostly replaced by the Comlabs EMNET system (think TTY on steroids) and the MOTOBRIDGE network. No idea what the current state of use is of either of these.

-------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.