Georgia National Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Good grief.

Why not just come out and say you want them to encrypt?

LTE is not the "Save all" for public safety radio systems. If so, they would all be on Sou Linc.

N8IAA

Good grief.

Why not just come out and say you want them to encrypt?

LTE is not the "Save all" for public safety radio systems. If so, they would all be on Sou Linc.

Nope. Didn't say to encrypt. Just have the access to avoid giving out critical info to the nosy news media and looters/pillagers.

Didn't say that LTE was a "Save all".

Read the writing on the wall RRR, it will happen sooner than you think.;) What good will the SDS scanners be then :unsure:

Main reason I've not spent big bucks on any new scanner. I'm happy with what is in my shack. It works for what I monitor.

• Haha
Reactions: RRR

DanRollman

Database Admin
Read the writing on the wall RRR, it will happen sooner than you think.;) What good will the SDS scanners be then :unsure:

Main reason I've not spent big bucks on any new scanner. I'm happy with what is in my shack. It works for what I monitor.

Which makes sense, since your county's local public safety agencies are 100% encrypted, and your neighboring counties have encrypted either law enforcement (Hall) or fire (Forsyth). If Gwinnett's trunked system used little or no encryption and you had an interest in listening to them, I think you'd really benefit from an SDS (as I have, monitoring DeKalb, Atlanta, Fulton, and NFRRSA primarily, from locations where simulcast distortion was a real problem on earlier generations of cheap-o consumer scanner toys.) If I lived in Gwinnett I probably wouldn't bother with an SDS either (I'd focus more on house hunting).

Flyham

Just going to leave this here.

N8IAA

Which makes sense, since your county's local public safety agencies are 100% encrypted, and your neighboring counties have encrypted either law enforcement (Hall) or fire (Forsyth). If Gwinnett's trunked system used little or no encryption and you had an interest in listening to them, I think you'd really benefit from an SDS (as I have, monitoring DeKalb, Atlanta, Fulton, and NFRRSA primarily, from locations where simulcast distortion was a real problem on earlier generations of cheap-o consumer scanner toys.) If I lived in Gwinnett I probably wouldn't bother with an SDS either (I'd focus more on house hunting).

Was going to get a SDS 100 to monitor Forsyth. A little bird told me they were going 'E'. They did, and no need for a $700 brick, or a G4, better choice over the SDS.

Gwinnett went dark in Oct, 2008. Was talking to a SD on the day it happened. Couldn't believe they encrypted FD dispatch. Really miss FD, but, that's life. Was a GCCPA participant. Also, an alum. Got great benefits, helicopter rides, doing the PD high speed training course, but eventually life got in the way.

Hall followed not to long after. I was monitoring via Pro96 to get the goods on their system, when the tech came on a stated, "Won't the scannerheads be disappointed that they were encrypting". FD is in the open, as well as, EVENTS, which are shared by DNR, GSP, FCSO.

Never could get a good enough signal to hear to the south of me. Now, north of me, tons of stuff to monitor on other digital formats. I learned a long time ago, and I've been scanning/monitoring for 50 years how to adapt.

Love where I live. Shopping, hospitals, and decent restaurants under ten miles. Great neighborhood to boot.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I monitored Forsyth the other day, loud and clear, unencrypted. GSP Forsyth, the same.

Now, if you are talking about Forsyth County .....Then that's completely different.

(A county is a county, should we have to say "Franklin city" or "City of Franklin" if we mean Franklin, and not Franklin County, 2 completely different places?)

Status
Not open for further replies.