Georgia National Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Governor Kemp is deploying 1,500 National Guardsman and 100 national guard humvees to attempt to maintain order in Atlanta tonight. I confess I've never really considered mobile communications for the Georgia National Guard when operating domestically. Does anyone know where their mobile communications operate for such activities?

rufus-7

They most likely are operating on the state’s trucked system. You may want to try checking if there are any comms Taking place.

• Haha
Reactions: RRR

N8IAA

They most likely are operating on the state’s trucked system. You may want to try checking if there are any comms Taking place.

Only trucks in the ATL are SWAT and the ANG. :rolleyes:

No statewide system in GA.

Oh, Dan, don't you have a search function you can use?

Casey

APD Mutual aid 1 (MA1) has been primary comms for the weekend unrest once the city got their sh*t together on saturday...APD, Phoenix airships, FulCo Sheriff, GSP, National Guard reps are tuned to this from listening over the wekeend...APD Mutual Aid 2 is also in use as needed for side-comms but Mutual Aid 1 is where the 'ear candy' has been. GSP Troop C 800 and APD Zone 5 also but the strike teams are all tuned on MA1.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I confess I've never really considered mobile communications for the Georgia National Guard when operating domestically. Does anyone know where their mobile communications operate for such activities?

In Michigan the National Guard has their own talk-groups on the state's P25 public safety system. Maybe do a TG Search on Georgia's public safety system? They've been pretty active dealing with managing and administrating COVID test kits. I haven't hear any riot related communications.

DanRollman

Database Admin
APD Mutual aid 1 (MA1) has been primary comms for the weekend unrest once the city got their sh*t together on saturday...APD, Phoenix airships, FulCo Sheriff, GSP, National Guard reps are tuned to this from listening over the wekeend...APD Mutual Aid 2 is also in use as needed for side-comms but Mutual Aid 1 is where the 'ear candy' has been. GSP Troop C 800 and APD Zone 5 also but the strike teams are all tuned on MA1.

Well aware of all that. Asking specifically if anyone knows what the ANG is using. Two friends are guardsman and said they are not on, and don't have access to MA1 ("the channel all the cops are using") but that a few of their superiors were given an APD cache radio on MA1. Other guardsman, apparently, have comms on some other frequency or system that only guardsmen are using.

Casey

Well aware of all that. Asking specifically if anyone knows what the ANG is using. Two friends are guardsman and said they are not on, and don't have access to MA1 ("the channel all the cops are using") but that a few of their superiors were given an APD cache radio on MA1. Other guardsman, apparently, have comms on some other frequency or system that only guardsmen are using.
Dan just FYI i was monitoring the downtown traffic cameras (most do NOT work) but the lion-share of activity during this event has been city/county cops (some from out of county) all conflated on MA1...the state had a lot of troopers in cars and there were national guard assets/humvees deployed and moving around but the National Guard looked to be in the minority so far or they were teamed with APD traveling with them (national guard was occasionally being hailed on the channel) so you may not be hearing a lot of National Guard specific comms, not telling you anything you probably don't know.

N8IAA

In Michigan the National Guard has their own talk-groups on the state's P25 public safety system. Maybe do a TG Search on Georgia's public safety system? They've been pretty active dealing with managing and administrating COVID test kits. I haven't hear any riot related communications.

Refer to Post #6. No GA statewide system.

DanRollman

Database Admin
...the lion-share of activity during this event has been city/county cops (some from out of county) all conflated on MA1...the state had a lot of troopers in cars and there were national guard assets/humvees deployed and moving around but the National Guard looked to be in the minority so far or they were teamed with APD traveling with them (national guard was occasionally being hailed on the channel) so you may not be hearing a lot of National Guard specific comms, not telling you anything you probably don't know.

Thanks Casey. I'm hearing a lot more directions to the National Guard on MA1 this afternoon than I did last night or Friday night (they actually were out very late on Friday night too). On Friday, MA1 was downtown and MA2 was used once the riots started in Buckhead (with DeKalb SWAT using their SOD channel too in Buckhead). Last night it sounded like MA1 was downtown and MA2 was Edgewood/Old Fourth type areas, and the Buckhead area was just being watched by Zone 2 FIT on their FIT channel. Today, it sounds like MA1 is downtown/COP area, GSP Main is in use at the capital complex (which is being watched by GSP troopers supported by DJJ).

Anyway, if anyone learns of any radio systems that the Georgia national guard uses (of their own) in Georgia, I'd be interested. For example, in Arizona, the Arizona Department of Emergency and Military Affairs built the conventional repeatered radio system shown at Arizona - Arizona Division of Emergency Management Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference for use by the National Guard when on assignments around the state. It is a series of analog conventional 139 MHz mountaintop repeaters throughout the state. Was just curious if Georgia had anything of the sort for their national guard.

Thanks all.

rayvelcoro

During the Atlanta 1996 olympics I was in town visiting from grad school. National guard patrol downtown was very busy on 138-144 Mhz. A lot of it was in the clear and they would announce prior to switching to encryption intermittently. I know this is dated info, but it was fun back then.

DanRollman

Database Admin
During the Atlanta 1996 olympics I was in town visiting from grad school. National guard patrol downtown was very busy on 138-144 Mhz. A lot of it was in the clear and they would announce prior to switching to encryption intermittently. I know this is dated info, but it was fun back then.

Thanks for the response. That is really interesting, and is consistent with the frequency range that I mentioned the Arizona National Guard uses for operations of this sort in that state. Some other state national guards apparently have caches of low band radios (30-50 MHz) that they may still use, including for convoy-type communications. I would think Georgia's national guard units have access to a cache of radios that operate on one of these bands, but that's just conjecture on my part.

rayvelcoro

From what I can discern on the ground with regard to containing the demonstrators, the Guard units are not playing a dynamic role requiring heavy 2-way communication. They are simply moved in groups from post to post as directed by APD unit leaders over APD comms to fortify positions.

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
Lots of coordination on Georgia State Government frequencies over last weekend. Also heard multiple counties including aviation units on various APD talk groups.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Tonight I've been hearing what sounds like perhaps National Guard internal communications downtown on TG 19310 on the Atlanta system, given various references to humvees. The guard is still coordinating with APD on MA1, but perhaps also communicating among themselves on 19310. OTOH, I have also heard instructions to drivers of ATVs, including shortly after APD mentioned asking the Georgia DNR ATVs to handle a particular assignment, so perhaps this is DNR officers. It makes sense that DNR might borrow Atlanta radios given (I presume) they lack repeater coverage of their own downtown.

I have heard 19310 and 19311 used the last month or so for coordination of Covid testing sites and other such one-off activities, so I wonder if these talkgroups are programmed into radios that are in a cache that is handed out for temporary use at special events and the like.

Last edited:

N8IAA

The demonstrations/demonstrators........I mean the sacking and looting that happened in Atlanta............are the best reason for LE going to LTE technology.

Leaving news media out of the loop, as well as, the terrorists that descended on Atlanta.
I know eventually that it will make listening to TAC channels obsolete, but keep the general public safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.