Georgia State Patrol Helicopter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdawg030

According to the discussion I heard on this channel today, this channel is used by a police helicopter. I have never heard them until today and I heard them twice. The 2nd time, he was talking about landing but decided he only had 20 minutes of fuel left, so he went to fill up and come back. (They we’re trying to locate 2 people they had been chasing a few days.) I stopped listening before he came back from refueling.
6cdb36a39467a03082de607c5cc39458.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RRR

Premium Subscriber
State band "Car to car" frequency. Been a staple in Georgia law Enforcement for over 30 years!

cdawg030

I’ve never heard any traffic on it. It may be where I’m located, and since a helicopter was on it today, I was able to hear them.

mjbjr

I think they are housed in Forsyth at the training center

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
According to the discussion I heard on this channel today, this channel is used by a police helicopter. I have never heard them until today and I heard them twice. The 2nd time, he was talking about landing but decided he only had 20 minutes of fuel left, so he went to fill up and come back. (They we’re trying to locate 2 people they had been chasing a few days.) I stopped listening before he came back from refueling.
6cdb36a39467a03082de607c5cc39458.jpg

154.905 and 154.935 are state wide law enforcement mutual aid frequencies that are used by local and state law enforcement agencies here in Georgia. DPS “GSP” also uses those frequencies as a base and mobile operation as a back up dispatch. Dispatchers transmit on 154.905 and the mobiles transmit on 154.935. The same as DPS “GSP” old dispatch operation just with different frequencies.

- Dawson Adams
K4DPA / WQPN413

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Virtually every agency in Georgia has access to those frequencies, although the larger ones probably haven't used them in years.

In the 70s, they came in handy when transporting prisoners between counties. My unit number was 106M10. I think that's a medical call sign now. The 106 was the county number (Muscogee) and M designated it as municipal.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
. Dispatchers transmit on 154.905 and the mobiles transmit on 154.935. The same as DPS “GSP” old dispatch operation just with different frequencies.
- Dawson Adams
K4DPA / WQPN413

....Not quite. While GSP Dispatch would transmit on 154.680, and the mobiles would transmit on 154.800 to get to them (Troopers couldn't hear other troopers talking to the station back in the day), "Car to car" (154.905) and "car to base"/"Car to station" (154.935) weren't (and still aren't) used like that.

154.905 is "car to car" and 154.935 is "Station to station" (and) "Car to station", using 154.935 as TX and RX.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
I’ve also heard law enforcement helicopters on several different mutual aid frequencies and also on the state P25 repeaters for DPS and DNR.

- Dawson Adams
K4DPA / WQPN413

Reactions: RRR

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
....Not quite. While GSP Dispatch would transmit on 154.680, and the mobiles would transmit on 154.800 to get to them (Troopers couldn't hear other troopers talking to the station back in the day), "Car to car" (154.905) and "car to base"/"Car to station" (154.935) weren't (and still aren't) used like that.

154.905 is "car to car" and 154.935 is "Station to station" (and) "Car to station", using 154.935 as TX and RX.

Yes 154. 905 is used as car to car and 154.935 is supposed to be for base to base. However, I have personally heard DPS using 154.905 / 154.935 as a base and mobile dispatch as back up when the mobiles are out of range of the repeaters. I hear troopers on 154.935 talking to dispatch and then I hear dispatch on 154.905 talking to the troopers.

- Dawson Adams
K4DPA / WQPN413

mjbjr

Just heard they will be in Perry Georgia doing some training at the fairgrounds today

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Are the 154.905 and 154.935 frequencies analog or digital? Yes, I checked the database doesn't show it listed for analog or digital besides CSQ.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Are the 154.905 and 154.935 frequencies analog or digital? Yes, I checked the database doesn't show it listed for analog or digital besides CSQ.
Analog. They're also used all over the state by other agencies, including GSP.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Analog. They're also used all over the state by other agencies, including GSP.

Nice. By chance do you know if GSP or DPS still use the Macon repeater? I haven't heard any activity on it in awhile maybe time of day I guess. I know they use the Forsyth repeater.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Not a clue. I rarely listen to either. I wouldn't be surprised if the repeater is still up and running because the frequencies are still in use throughout the state, although they're not used nearly as much as they were 30+ years ago. I suspect traffic has dropped 90% or more.

Some poor and/or smaller counties used to use the frequencies as their main frequencies many years ago.

Reactions: RRR

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I don't listen to them much. Last time I heard them on the Perry repeater both GSP and DPS. The three and four numbers the officiers gives to the dispatch when radioing in on traffic stop the three numbers are for GSP officers and four numbers are DPS officers?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
N4CYA, I had an epiphany! Those are simplex frequencies so it's not likely they would have a repeater for them.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
I don't listen to them much. Last time I heard them on the Perry repeater both GSP and DPS. The three and four numbers the officiers gives to the dispatch when radioing in on traffic stop the three numbers are for GSP officers and four numbers are DPS officers?

Check your local DNR repeaters for DPS traffic. DPS dispatches for DNR and sometimes you can hear DPS on DNR repeaters and vise versa. Also note that GSP belongs to DPS. DPS is their parent agency.

gman4661

My job involves working in or traveling through about 20 Georgia counties. At least in these areas, use of the old 154.905 car-to-car freq appears to be extremely rare (or not at all). With so many 700/800 and even UHF radio systems in use, VHF is largely used by smaller, more rural agencies.

There was a question about radio numbers. GSP is normally three digits with Motor Carrier Compliance being four digits.

As a side note, 155.475 (the old NLEEC channel) may be used for informal car-to-car conversations.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
My job involves working in or traveling through about 20 Georgia counties. At least in these areas, use of the old 154.905 car-to-car freq appears to be extremely rare (or not at all). With so many 700/800 and even UHF radio systems in use, VHF is largely used by smaller, more rural agencies.

There was a question about radio numbers. GSP is normally three digits with Motor Carrier Compliance being four digits.

As a side note, 155.475 (the old NLEEC channel) may be used for informal car-to-car conversations.

154.905 is used heavily by Lowndes SO and Valdosta PD as a Car to Car channel since 800 MHz isn’t the best for simplex. I’m sure this is the same for other counties in the state that are on higher frequency trunk systems.

- Dawson Adams
K4DPA / WQPN413

Status
Not open for further replies.