Georgia State Patrol ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke4gvx

Picked up a reciever that does P25 Phase 1 only. I live over near
Athens, Ga. so I put in Statewide , Troop E and B into reciever.

154.905 seem to be a data channel or paging ?
The squelch opens all the time on the 458.48750 UHFextender
it seems too be constantly busy but not enough
signal to make it out. Sometimes the voices
sound computer generated What am I hearing
for those with better signal?

In the database Augusta has no NAC listed.
I get a great signal but hear nothing just like Washington 2.
Are these freqs encypted or Phase 2 or both?

Thanks Robert

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I don't live in your area or even in Georgia, so take my comments with the understanding that they may be inaccurate.

I have learned that GSP truly uses a hodge-podge of radio systems across different parts of the state, and that their radio use changes frequently, making it difficult to reliably track their communications.

The VHF conventional P25 frequencies listed in the database are their "primary" system. Conventional P25 repeaters can only be Phase I - P25 Phase II is only used on trunked systems.

GSP also has use of GA DNR repeaters throughout the state - the same dispatchers serve both agencies. So be sure to program both agencies' repeaters and see if one agency regularly uses the other's repeaters in your specific area.

In areas where there are county or regional trunked radio systems in use by local agencies, GA SP may use talkgroups on that system. This is certainly true in Metro Atlanta where GA SP regularly uses the Atlanta and Gwinnett systems, and has talkgroups on other systems. You mentioned Athens - it's possible that GA SP uses a talkgroup on the Clarke Co Trunked Radio system on a regular basis. It appears this is a Phase II system primarily, with at least one Phase I talkgroup. So maybe it operates in mixed mode.

You also mentioned Augusta. In that area, it's possible (even likely) that GA SP is using talkgroups on the Augusta Richmond County Phase II trunked radio system. Don't worry - even though you have a Phase I-only radio, it's reported that all talkgroups on this trunked system are encryped, so even with a Phase II capable radio, you won't be able to hear them. Note that there are no talkgroups identified for this system in the database, and that's likely because no one knows what each talkgroup is used for because it's all encrypted.

You may also occasionally hear GA SP troopers on local law enforcement channels.

It's possible that there is no NAC listed for the Augusta repeater because it may not get much use. I see shajoe44 answered that question for you already.

Remember that the mobile extender frequencies are low power so you'll need to be really close to an officer using that channel.

Perhaps someone else in your local area can verify some of this information. It's going to take some searching and monitoring over time to figure out what's in regular use in your specific area.

Good luck.

Last edited:

gman4661

Picked up a reciever that does P25 Phase 1 only. I live over near
Athens, Ga. so I put in Statewide , Troop E and B into reciever.

154.905 seem to be a data channel or paging ?
The squelch opens all the time on the 458.48750 UHFextender
it seems too be constantly busy but not enough
signal to make it out. Sometimes the voices
sound computer generated What am I hearing
for those with better signal?

In the database Augusta has no NAC listed.
I get a great signal but hear nothing just like Washington 2.
Are these freqs encypted or Phase 2 or both?

Thanks Robert

154.905 is the old GA Intrastate car-to-car freq. I am not aware of any change. You may hear troopers using it informally. Some rural agencies probably still use it to communicate with other departments.

GSP has some limited access to the Richmond Co. system which is 100% encrypted. As a side note, Columbia Co. is also 100% encrypted.

shajoe44

I do know they have communication capabilities with Columbia County. Not exactly sure if the troopers have been issued Columbia County radios or not. GSP is a different character as Brian mentioned. Have also been told they don't "play well" with Richmond County.
"

gwsteel62

Premium Subscriber
Troop B Post 32 Athens 155.53500 MHz, NAC 120. I can hear Troop B with a Phase 1 scanner. I'm in the northern end of Pickens County and I hear Cumming, Blue Ridge, Gainesville and sometimes Toccoa and Athens from my location. No encryption on any of Troop B. I never listen to any of the mobile extenders as you would have to be close to a patrol car to hear it plainly. Also, 154.905 is State band car to car but is very seldom used anymore by anyone.

dmh77yy

When I was in LE in GA GSP issued 700/800Mhz portables to all its troopers. When a new trooper would be assigned to a new post they would go to the local radio shop that the county used and get the basic dispatch talk groups added for each DTRS system being used. Day to day they would use the VHF P25 mobile and their portable was just using a 700Mhz Pac/rt set up. I believe this is still the case except in the areas where the GSP dispatcher is using or simulcasting on a local DTRS (like in Gwinnett).

gman4661

I do know they have communication capabilities with Columbia County. Not exactly sure if the troopers have been issued Columbia County radios or not. GSP is a different character as Brian mentioned. Have also been told they don't "play well" with Richmond County.
"

Yes, the version I heard was that Richmond Co. wanted state agencies such Augusta University PD, Augusta Tech PD and GSP to pay subscriber fees to use the new $16M radio system. Not sure about Community Supervision, GBI or DNR. Seems odd that the county would want to charge them fees when you consider that most of the fine money generated by state agencies goes to the county where the offense took place. I was told that GSP pulled out of Richmond Co. while the disagreement was going on. I was also told that, eventually, GSP gained limited access to the system. Don't know about the other agencies.

gwsteel62

Premium Subscriber
When I was in LE in GA GSP issued 700/800Mhz portables to all its troopers. When a new trooper would be assigned to a new post they would go to the local radio shop that the county used and get the basic dispatch talk groups added for each DTRS system being used. Day to day they would use the VHF P25 mobile and their portable was just using a 700Mhz Pac/rt set up. I believe this is still the case except in the areas where the GSP dispatcher is using or simulcasting on a local DTRS (like in Gwinnett).
This is still the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.