Georgia to Beijing China??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryfly

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so my neighbor used to live in georgia pre-katrina.

But he said, during certain times during the summer, he would get Beijing police, airport etc. Sometime he told me it would trump the entire 800mhz band.

But i told him that was crazy. But ....

I thought i ask you guys if i'm crazy or if he's crazy.

It that even possible a 10,000 mile radio wave journey?

Last edited:

hypersight

Ryfly said:
Ok, so my neighbor used to live in georgia pre-katrina.

But he said, during certain times during the summer, he would get Beijing police, airport etc. Sometime he told me it would trump the entire 800mhz band.

But i told him that was crazy. But ....

I thought i ask you guys if i'm crazy or if he's crazy.

It that even possible a 10,000 mile radio wave journey?
Beijing Police use a 800 Mhz TETRA system. Even if your friend was catching a TETRA system, how could he possibly ID the system as coming from Beijing? TETRA is encrypted. So the likliness of receiving BP is nil.
As far a airport stuff, yes it may be possible to pick up airport comms from Beijing if he is monitoring the 1100 - 1200 KHz band providing he has a good receiver and antenna.

k9rzz

We're talking Georgia, USA ... right?

No way.

Uh uh.

Just say: "Oh yeah? Wow ... that's amazing" and know that he's blowing smoke. See what other stories he can come up with.

Beijing at 1200 khz? In your dreams.

Beijing at 1200 mhz? Impossible.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Many years ago, the "Ministry of Public Security" used VHF-Low Band in the 35-38 MHz range. I can remember hearing police activity from Jiangxi and Guangdong Provinces on 37.36 and 37.62 MHz respectively. The latter used to speak in Cantonese, while the former spoke in Mandarin.

One of the local dispatchers made a tape recording of the activity on 37.36 MHz, and had it translated by a professor at the University of Michigan, and he confirmed that it was indeed police activity, from the Ministry of Public Security in Jiangxi Province. Likewise, the same was done with the activity on 37.62 MHz, since he was fluent in Cantonese as well, but from an Amateur Radio Operator that provided him a cassette tape recording.

I would have a very hard time believing that your friend could hear the Ministry of Public Security (Police) transmissions from Georgia, since the frequency spectrum is way off-base to carry that far. The new TETRA system in Bejing, is not scannable and therefore, due to it's encrypted nature impossible to listen to.

73s

Ron

Last edited:

hypersight

Thunderbolt said:
Many years ago, the "Ministry of Public Security" used VHF-Low Band in the 35-38 MHz range. I can remember hearing police activity from Jiangxi and Guangdong Provinces on 37.36 and 37.62 MHz respectively. The latter used to speak in Cantonese, while the former spoke in Mandarin.

Wow! What a catch. I would have loved to hear that! I was actually in Guangdong (city of Guangzhou) last year.

SCPD

QRT
Very High Frequency or VHF is receivable worldwide, I have heard the Middle east years ago. On HF its a common occurance. On TETRA is an Impossibility, Trans-European Trunked RAdio, is simular to America's Nextel but even more secure and SO MUCH better! the entire country of China I believe is on its own TETRA system. TETRA is subscriber based radio. and because China is a Communist country, this TETRA system uses the highest forms of encryption. from reading lititure about this specific system it was designed for the Olympics and used State-of-the-Art TETRA technology and is updated continously. You wouldn't even see a scanner pausing on 800 for a blip. not to mention 800 Dosn't duct like VHF Lo. so yes, your Buddy is a BS'er!

Raccon

MaxTracker said:
Very High Frequency or VHF is receivable worldwide, I have heard the Middle east years ago. On HF its a common occurance. On TETRA is an Impossibility, Trans-European Trunked RAdio, is simular to America's Nextel but even more secure and SO MUCH better! the entire country of China I believe is on its own TETRA system.
TETRA stands nowadays for Terrestrial Trunked Radio. And the entire country does not have it's own TETRA system, they have many (over 30).

TETRA is subscriber based radio. and because China is a Communist country, this TETRA system uses the highest forms of encryption.
Which is?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I once knew a guy who heard a satellite broadcasting propaganda from Red China on his CB set. Now did this one give you the same treatment two days before you asked that question? Oh, and what about the rest of you who haven't noticed the date?

APRIL FOOL!

SCPD

QRT
TDMA which is NOT Scannable!

it was Dubbed Terrestrial Trunked Radio AFTERWARDS due to its complicated use and Incredible applications, Voice/Data/SMS/GPS all operating simualtaniously on the network. Motorola Europe have modles which let you see who you are talking to while talking.

The 30+ sites are inter-linked and The Police Can talk to the Military and the Systems do allow for Country wide communications.

http://www.motorola.com/governmenta...solution.aspx?navigationpath=id_803i/id_2333i interesting reading. Also the TETRA Motorola System at Hong Kong International Airport have a nice PDF: http://www.motorola.com/governmenta...ressRelease/HKIA TETRA release Eng final2.pdf and this: http://www.nabishi.net/Tetra.htm is good reading too.

Raccon

MaxTracker said:
it was Dubbed Terrestrial Trunked Radio AFTERWARDS due to its complicated use and Incredible applications, Voice/Data/SMS/GPS all operating simualtaniously on the network.
It was dubbed so because it became more popular outside of Europe, so the name was not appropiate anymore.
What you call applications are actually services, and I wouldn't call them incredible, nor do I think TETRA is complicated to use.

Motorola Europe have modles which let you see who you are talking to while talking.
WOW!

The 30+ sites are inter-linked and The Police Can talk to the Military and the Systems do allow for Country wide communications.
Sure about that? What's your source of information regarding this?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Had it been posted on 4/1 ... yeah, that would have been a good one! But it was 4/3."

I was aware of that. I'm also aware of the fact some people are slow, some people are BS artists and others are fools regardless of the date.

Pacmonitor

I used to regularly rx the 33MHz HongKong Marine Police channels, until halfway through the last solar cycle 23 when they switched to TETRA. It was interesting listening to them as they often used broken English as they intercepted smugglers. 'SpeedBoat would not stop', etc.

Pacmonitor, NZ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.