Get ready for 700 MHz MO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
acccording to MRT....

"Independence seeks to improve coverage with 700 MHz system
Seeking to bolster radio communications for all city personnel, Independence, Mo., plans to deploy a 700 MHz trunked radio system that will be funded largely by a grant from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), according to the Examiner, a newspaper covering eastern Jackson County, Mo."

scanrrman

When is this change supposed to take place? That's one city that is #1 on my scanning list. I have a pro-95, does this affect my listening, will i have to get a new scanner. i don't know much about 700MHz Please fill me in on all aspects of this. I would seriously like to know

N

N_Jay

scanrrman said:
When is this change supposed to take place? That's one city that is #1 on my scanning list. I have a pro-95, does this affect my listening, will i have to get a new scanner. i don't know much about 700MHz Please fill me in on all aspects of this. I would seriously like to know

If they are just going for the grat now, it will be a year AT LEAST!, and that is if they get the grant.

Press releases like this are usually early in the process.

BaLa

scanrrman said:
should work ok as long as it will be analog

scanrrman

i went to the examiner and read the article discussing this. I know it won't start until at least 06' but i don't know anything about 700MHz. I know enough about 800MHz, is it basically the same? i'm sure i'll still be listening to them if and when this change does occur. will my pro-95 still be able to receive this? I really doubt this will happen cuz independence has cut down on # of officers they have working, how are they going to come up with 1-2 million to pay for this. why not just upgrade their radios and system enough to suffice for their needs. i don't know

scanrrman

so i will be unable to listen in on independence police if this plan is put into effect. i take it that's what encryption means i don't know all that much about it

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
scanrrman said:
so i will be unable to listen in on independence police if this plan is put into effect. i take it that's what encryption means i don't know all that much about it

The Pro-95 will not cover the new 700 MHz band, and you will have to purchase a new digital scanner that can cover this new frequency spectrum. However, in most cases many agencies that purchase these new digital trunked radio systems, do not encrypt all of the radio channels. Nonetheless, that is not to say that some or all of the police talkgroups will be scrambled to prevent scanner listeners from monitoring the system.

73's

Ron

N

N_Jay

BaLa said:
scanrrman said:
should work ok as long as it will be analog

It won't be analog!

scanrrman

so if it is scrambled there's no scanner that can receive it? and if it's not scrambled then i'll have to get a digital scanner that covers that spectrum.

kb0nhx

Independence 700 MHz

If it's scrambled, de-scramblers are available to attach to your scanner. If it's encrypted, it's illegal to receive and there is not a scanner or add on that can decode encryption. More than likely it will be encrypted and not scrambled as typical voice inversion scrambling is not common on the trunked radio systems.

kb0nhx

700 MHz

I was a little unclear, what I meant was technically speaking, voice inversion scrambling can be de-scrambled (maybe illegally, but can be done) but encrypted signals are not able to be decoded . . .

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
This Project 25 TRS will not use "analog scrambling" but will use digital encryption. Even if you had a software program on your computer to check the hundreds-of-millions codes available, it would take you many years to sample every one of them. Moreover, the new system will most likely have Over The Air (OTAR) encryption capability that can change every one of the codes in each radio, or a select group of radios in seconds. With this new capability, the numbering sequence for each encryption group is assigned at random by a computer; thus, making it a real nightmare to decode, but also remember that it is illegal to do so unless you are a party to the broadcast.

73's

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.