Get Ready for "Illegal Fireworks" calls tomorrow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I'm in New York State which totally BANS fireworks for civilians without a license.
I'm leaving my scanner on ALL DAY tomorrow and waiting for the calls!! wooooo

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Been hearing the complaints around here the last couple of days...............What gets me is its Illegal but they still sell em here..............Hoser

Yeh I heard about that a few years ago about Ohio's fireworks law.. LOL
It seems that with a valid Drivers License to another state you can buy in Ohio, but you cant use them in Ohio and nor can the residents there buy them at the shops there, very wierd!! lol

Here in NY, if you go to New Hampshire, there are places on the border which sell them to people in NY, everyone knows what they are doing selling to out of state people. so thats where we get ours

mciupa

Database Admin
Out this way, kids hold them in their hands and aim them at one another.:roll:
Is it any wonder restrictive laws are in place? :evil:

hoser147

Yeh I heard about that a few years ago about Ohio's fireworks law.. LOL
It seems that with a valid Drivers License to another state you can buy in Ohio, but you cant use them in Ohio and nor can the residents there buy them at the shops there, very wierd!! lol

Here in NY, if you go to New Hampshire, there are places on the border which sell them to people in NY, everyone knows what they are doing selling to out of state people. so thats where we get ours

All ya got to do is sign a paper that states you will take them to another state to discharge them, Ya right, Ill bet 90% are stayn right here..............Hoser

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Happy Fourth Of July!!!

I'm out in California, you know the state which recently had as many as 1400 fires burning. The situation here is silly, to put it nicely, but it does depend on the city or county in which you live.

Here in Sacramento, all the non-profits are out selling "safe and sane" fireworks. These are approved, but the governor last week asked that people don't buy them. That didn't make the non-profits too happy as this is the biggest fund rasier of the year for many of them.

A few miles from me in Placer county, you can buy legal fireworks in Roseville. As long as you use them in Roseville you should be good. But if you use them in the county, then you're in violation. This story repeats itself up and down the state. There are pockets of places where they are legal or illegal.

Then you have the Mexican fireworks and many other illegals. This year they claim they are really cracking down on them. I heard an interesting conversation last week between an LE officer and his superior trying to figure out what was legal/illegal in their area. This has typically been the #1 scanner traffic day of the year for me for many years.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
)We've been getting calls for weeks now. More and more families shooting theirs off every weekend. Personally, I could care less as long as they are not being blatently dangerous, block the road and then yell at me for "speeding" at 5mph:roll: trying to get around them, or shooting them off at 3.a.m unless it is the 4th (then it is all game!:p)

There are some people that call the PD IMMEDIEATLY every time someone shoots off even ONE firework at 8p.m. This is ridiculous. But it gets worse.....The same complantaint is now calling the fireworks in as "gunshots heard" in the neigborhood, which illicits a code 3 response. I am sure the dispatcher is asking them "are you sure its not fireworks?" as they can see on the CAD 15 calls for firework complaints in the last 3 weeks, but they still lie to the dispatcher and say "GUNSHOTS, NO MISTAKE!":roll:. They do this just to get the PD response and complain about some very tame fireworks. The responding unit knows that it is fireworks because he was chilling out watching them and even says so on the radio, but has to run full lights and sirens anyways. I hope next time that the responding unit parks in front of the complainer's home with the car lit up and blooping and bleeeping it's siren.:cool:

Personally, I've calmed down a ton with fireworks. We got braver and braver every year by fabricating our own, modifying chinese mortars, shooting bottle rockets at each other, shooting bottle rockets out of our teeth, flys, butts, etc. minor powder burns were traditional!:D We decided to cool-it a bit when we worked up to dragon's breath shotgun shells.

ridgescan

)We've been getting calls for weeks now. More and more families shooting theirs off every weekend. Personally, I could care less as long as they are not being blatently dangerous, block the road and then yell at me for "speeding" at 5mph:roll: trying to get around them, or shooting them off at 3.a.m unless it is the 4th (then it is all game!:p)

There are some people that call the PD IMMEDIEATLY every time someone shoots off even ONE firework at 8p.m. This is ridiculous. But it gets worse.....The same complantaint is now calling the fireworks in as "gunshots heard" in the neigborhood, which illicits a code 3 response. I am sure the dispatcher is asking them "are you sure its not fireworks?" as they can see on the CAD 15 calls for firework complaints in the last 3 weeks, but they still lie to the dispatcher and say "GUNSHOTS, NO MISTAKE!":roll:. They do this just to get the PD response and complain about some very tame fireworks. The responding unit knows that it is fireworks because he was chilling out watching them and even says so on the radio, but has to run full lights and sirens anyways. I hope next time that the responding unit parks in front of the complainer's home with the car lit up and blooping and bleeeping it's siren.:cool:

Personally, I've calmed down a ton with fireworks. We got braver and braver every year by fabricating our own, modifying chinese mortars, shooting bottle rockets at each other, shooting bottle rockets out of our teeth, flys, butts, etc. minor powder burns were traditional!:D We decided to cool-it a bit when we worked up to dragon's breath shotgun shells.
Yeah Dan we got pretty wicked too-one guy liked to lite a book of blackcats and stuff it into another guy's back pocket! This town sounds like iraq on the 4th with the asians and their smuggled dynomite....tomorrow's definately scanner time for sure:)

SAR923

Oh, heck, down here in Alabama we can buy everything but actual artillery shells. You know, like 105's and such. :) We can get mortars, all kinds of aeriel displays, M-80's, roman candles, bottle rockets...just about anything made. It's illegal to shoot them off within city limits but legal in the county. The PD pretty much ignores fireworks calls unless they are landing on someone's roof. The boys down here are so used to shooting off dangerous ordinance that they've gotten good at it. It think I heard one fireworks injury call last year and it will sound like a war zone all weekend. By contrast, there were tons of fireworks injury calls in California, where they are illegal, so no one knows how to handle them properly. There are some things I really love about living here. :D

jon_k

Is it any wonder restrictive laws are in place? :evil:

Anyone know why the illegal, careless and stupid still get their hands on fireworks year after year and still create accidents and fires?

Seems the ban on fireworks works wonders. I say we ban guns next.

Last edited:

ibagli

Residents can buy them. We just have to promise to take them out of the state. The whole thing is one big wink and nudge.

KC2TEX

I have been fireworks operating shows for over 10 years. As the holder of a federal ATF licence for the purchase, use, and possesion of low explosives (class B fireworks), properly handled, the shells and mortars, are safer IMHO. The rockets and fountains, and crackers have a mind of their own when lit. They go up, and turn and come down on a roof somewhere. Mortars are a simple time proven way to launch a shell be it either black powder (outdoor), or air launched (indoor). i will not even go in to the amature (sp?) pyrotechnicains... -John

KF4ZTO

I look forward to hearing Richmond turn into a war zone again tonight. It should be interesting.

jpm

Domestics

Don't forget the domestics too . Thats starting here since last night ... booze works great, LOL.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber

The one calling in the the gunshots should be charged with 911 Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.