Getting a HAM License-please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

FantomHawk

Hey guys I'm new to the HAM world and would like to know what I need to do to get a ham license. I've been trying to research it but am getting confused because one site will say to go to classes then after you pass the classes you have to take a test and then another site will say to study a book and then take a test with no classes needed. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I suggest you get this book and study it.
You do not need to attend classes but there is a required test.
The book explains everything in detail and gives you all the questions and answers that are on the test.
You can take actual practice tests on-line here

Or you can join a club. They can guide you through it.

Last edited:

LtDoc

You are required to have certain knowledge to pass a required test to obtain a license. How you go about getting that knowledge is up to you. If you find it easier to take a class rather than just studying from a book, then take the class. Or, the other way around. The only requirement is passing the test.
- 'Doc

n5ims

Hey guys I'm new to the HAM world and would like to know what I need to do to get a ham license. I've been trying to research it but am getting confused because one site will say to go to classes then after you pass the classes you have to take a test and then another site will say to study a book and then take a test with no classes needed. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

The key is that you need to take and pass a test to get your ham license. What path you take to pass the test is pretty much up to how YOU learn best.

For some folks, a formal classroom setting with a teacher, other students, and a formal structured lesson plan is how they learn best. For that type of person, going to classes at a nearby ham radio club (or other organization) is what's needed.

Other folks can pick up a book, read through it once and ace the test. Others may need to study the information closely for several months and still not think that they understand it (but catch them off-guard with a related question and they pop out the correct answer).

I guess it's even possible to simply sit down at the exam without any knowledge of the material and randomly select answers and somehow get all of the answers right. (Not recommended, nor would this person probably make a very good operator!).

You appear to be worried that a class is required. No, not required, but if that will help you learn better they're very good to attend. A class can also be helpful in other ways as well. In a class setting, you all generally progress from nothing to getting their license together. Quite often, a radio arrives either shortly before or right after the license for many of those folks. Guess who they'll probably talk to first over the radio. Right, another class member! The learning with that group will probably continue (even if the class is finished) as they continue to talk on the radios and learn on-air manners, etc. to become seasoned ham radio operators.

W2NJS

Hams have a national organization that can probably help you in a big way. Look it up at American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO. Books, advice, background, etc., -- it's all there just for the reading and should get you up to speed pretty quickly. On the local level, if you can find a ham club that might also shorten the route to getting licensed and is worth a try. Good luck and let us know how you're doing on this.

Regards,

Tom, W2NJS

taxilian

There are as many ideas on this as there are ham radio operators; I originally studied a Technician study manual from ARRL for about 8 months, but to be honest I don't think I knew any more than others who just studied the questions did.

As a Volunteer Examiner for nearly 10 years, I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter nearly so much how you get your first license as it does what you do with it; once you have your license and you start using it to help with events and such that's when you really start to internalize everything. You need to know the rules, of course, but all the technical details will be easier to understand after you've used it.

Anyways, one less-well-known website that many find useful is http://hamstudy.org; it is geared a bit more towards the "learn enough to pass the test" philosophy and won't teach you as much as the expensive books, but it is a lot more free than the expensive books and much better for studying than just having a practice test. It has options to browse the question pool, a "study mode" (kinda like flashcards). I should probably come clean and admit that I wrote and maintain hamstudy, though, so I'm a bit biased =]

Anyway, however you do it, my advice is to learn but focus mostly on getting through your test; you can keep learning the other stuff after you have your license as you use it.

- KD7BBC

I second with Bubba1661, QRZ helped me pass both the Tech and General as well. I would have passed Extra if I had the time to study, but I'll be going for that soon though...

Also the ARRL's general Q&A: upgrade to general book really helped as it explains the reasons behind the answers.

Last edited:

Twacked

also a newbie to the world of ham.. i ordered some study software and will be studying it when it arrives.. i already purchased a VX-7R and am getting familiar with it, my question is are there any examiners in the Long Island NY area on this board? or where can i go to take the test once im ready? any help is appreciated!

uno1904

Premium Subscriber
If you have a smart phone there are several apps that help you study. I got my tech license last month and this was great because I could study any where.

Sent by passenger pigeon using Tapatalk KD0SOK

Status
Not open for further replies.