Getting a pager to scan on two frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffbryce1

Premium Subscriber
I am new to everything here and would like to get a pager for Monroe County Michigan. They are set at the frequency 159.0900 I believe. I would like to get a Minitor IV or newer for under $200. I would also like to scan the Lucas County Life Squad channel. Monroe's channels I believe are lower but I think Lucas County runs on the 800. What should I be looking at? How much am I looking at? I would like a charger, batteries, a case, and the pager can be used or refurbished as long as it works and looks nice. Is it possible to set it so that when any life squad goes out it pages me? I am not sure if it has to be one tone activates the page per frequency or how it works.

DJ11DLN

I am new to everything here and would like to get a pager for Monroe County Michigan. They are set at the frequency 159.0900 I believe. I would like to get a Minitor IV or newer for under $200. I would also like to scan the Lucas County Life Squad channel. Monroe's channels I believe are lower but I think Lucas County runs on the 800. What should I be looking at? How much am I looking at? I would like a charger, batteries, a case, and the pager can be used or refurbished as long as it works and looks nice. Is it possible to set it so that when any life squad goes out it pages me? I am not sure if it has to be one tone activates the page per frequency or how it works.

Yes for the multiple tones, no for multiple bands. I've used Minitors and Swissphone (like the latter much better). Those models are band-specific, though some models can scan different frequencies within each band they cover, which in the case of the Minitor will cost more for that feature. If there's such a thing as a multi-band pager, I've never heard of it.

As W8RMH stated, you would be much better off getting an analog scanner that can do fire tone alert, there are some models of this around but I don't own one so I won't recommend any. A pager and charger is going to be in the $400+ range without any programming software or dock. Those aren't cheap and the only way around them is to pay to have it programmed. Expect to pay $50 or more, sometimes much more depending on who you take it to, to have it programmed. And if there is such a thing as a multi-band pager, I'd expect it to run in the $600+ range for the basic unit. You can buy a lot of scanner for that money and get a lot more use out of it. The main thing about pagers is that they're small and thus easily portable, which is one reason they're so expensive. To do what you want, you need a scanner. Sorry if this wasn't the answer you wanted.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Confirming: Yes, scan on any ONE band, but not multiple bands. Multi-band is scanner or high-end portable territory. Some pagers do single band scan fairly well. I like the Swissphone RE729's, with the appropriate bias and provisos.

Beware that any pager (and many portables) when scanning, may not reliably capture a what it considers a complete set of QC-II 2-tone alerting tones and fail to go into berserk mode. Scan priority of the primary alerting channel is an absolute requirement. If you are using a paper (or portable) as a scanner to listen, LISTEN! Otherwise, put it in non-scan alerting lest you miss a page.

Status
Not open for further replies.