Getting a PSR-500 today

Status
Not open for further replies.

prthorsenjr

Howdy,

If everything goes according to plan, I will have my brand new GRE PSR-500 this
afternoon. I'm going to HRO and pick it up after lunch. Originally I had wanted
to get the Pro-96 especially since it was on sale prior to St. Patricks Day. I was
kind of bummed that I didn't get it prior to the sale ending. Especially since it
was $100 off the regular retail price.

However, after reading a lot of what is here I think that I will be happier with
the PSR-500. At least that is what I am telling myself.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say thanks for all the help and wealth of
information that you guys have provided in helping me make a wise choice.
I've already gotten the Win500 software also. I have no idea how to use it
efficiently yet, but I trust that you guys will help smooth out any rough spots I
might come across.

I haven't been this excited in a long time.

Pete

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Pete,

You'll be happy you missed the Pro-96 sale because it struggles with STARS -- with latest upgrades, the 500 doesn't.

raisindot

prt7u said:
Howdy,

If everything goes according to plan, I will have my brand new GRE PSR-500 this
afternoon. I'm going to HRO and pick it up after lunch. Originally I had wanted
to get the Pro-96 especially since it was on sale prior to St. Patricks Day. I was
kind of bummed that I didn't get it prior to the sale ending. Especially since it
was $100 off the regular retail price.

However, after reading a lot of what is here I think that I will be happier with
the PSR-500. At least that is what I am telling myself.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say thanks for all the help and wealth of
information that you guys have provided in helping me make a wise choice.
I've already gotten the Win500 software also. I have no idea how to use it
efficiently yet, but I trust that you guys will help smooth out any rough spots I
might come across.

I haven't been this excited in a long time.

Pete

Same thing here. Just got mine last week. I'm having endless fun playing around with it. Just picked up my first digital (LTR) signals today--that was mega cool.

As for software, I'd demo all three programs--Win500, PSREdit and ARC 500. You can use them unconditionally for 30 days and then pay for the one that works best for you. I'm trying out all three and have wittle it down to either Win500 or PSREdit. It's going to be a tough decision. Win500 is more "instinctively" easier for me to figure out, but I like the overall look and feel of PSREdit better.

One piece of advice before using the software--READ THE README FILE ON INSTALLATION on the CD-ROM covering installation of the drivers. I didn't realize that you really need to have the CD-ROM in the driver and plug in the USB cable BEFORE you plug in the radio. This loads a kind of "virtual serial cable driver" from the disk that will be used to connect to the PSR500.

Suzie

prthorsenjr

fmon and raisindot,

Thanks for the replies. All systems are a go and I'll be heading to the Toy Store this afternoon. I can't wait.

Pete

prthorsenjr

Well, I got it! Wow!!!

I'll have to say that I am very very very impressed with this radio. fmon was right, I am glad that I missed the sale at Radio Shack and drove up to Ham Radio Outlet to get this rig.

It took me a little while and messing up a bit to get used to inputting things and getting them the way that I wanted them. But practice makes perfect. I installed the drivers, did the CPU and DSP upgrades and then put the rest of the talkgroup ID's in via the Win500 software. Very Cool!

I need to control myself otherwise I'll be up all night messing with this new toy and I have to go to work tomorrow.

Thanks for all the information and encouragement,

Pete

raisindot

prt7u said:
I need to control myself otherwise I'll be up all night messing with this new toy and I have to go to work tomorrow.

Thanks for all the information and encouragement,

Pete

Your messing around won't stop with the radio. Next, you'll need to get a case (I just ordered the Likecase), and, depending on reception, you may want to get a different antenna. Since I can't put up an outside antenna, I tried both of Radio Shack's enhanced rubber duck antennas. The 800Mhz duck was useless--didn't improve anything at all. But the "general" all-purpose antenna is great. With the included antenna, I couldn't pick up beyond a 12-13 mile range of my home west of Boston. With the enhanced antenna, I'm picking up some signals from as far as 30 miles away, and it seems to be giving a noticeable improvement to reception of trunked 800Mhz frequencies as well.

Suzie

jim49

I regularly pickup trunked and other systems 25+ miles away using the stock psr-500 antenna, while in my house. It seems to do a pretty good job.

prthorsenjr

Suzie,

Thanks for the post. I will take a look at the cases from Likecase. Thanks for the suggestion. Having done my homework prior to buying the PSR-500 I went ahead and purchased the Diamond RH77CA (I think is the model #) and the Radio Shack 800 MHZ antenna as well along with some more NiMH rechargeable batteries from Radio Shack.

So, I am good for the time being.

Pete

raisindot said:
Your messing around won't stop with the radio. Next, you'll need to get a case (I just ordered the Likecase), and, depending on reception, you may want to get a different antenna. Since I can't put up an outside antenna, I tried both of Radio Shack's enhanced rubber duck antennas. The 800Mhz duck was useless--didn't improve anything at all. But the "general" all-purpose antenna is great. With the included antenna, I couldn't pick up beyond a 12-13 mile range of my home west of Boston. With the enhanced antenna, I'm picking up some signals from as far as 30 miles away, and it seems to be giving a noticeable improvement to reception of trunked 800Mhz frequencies as well.

Suzie

Yeah the longer antenna that RS has made a huge difference on my Pro-94. I was able to pick up Bowling Green's trunked system all the way from Glasgow. Before I had to get all the way to smiths grove (about 15 miles from BG) to pick up the same signals. I'm gonna switch it to my PSR-500 when it arrives in a few days. I can't wait

Drew

raisindot

prt7u said:
Suzie,

Thanks for the post. I will take a look at the cases from Likecase. Thanks for the suggestion. Having done my homework prior to buying the PSR-500 I went ahead and purchased the Diamond RH77CA (I think is the model #) and the Radio Shack 800 MHZ antenna as well along with some more NiMH rechargeable batteries from Radio Shack.

So, I am good for the time being.

Pete

I'm interested in hearing how the Diamond works for you. I saw it listed, too, but I was in a hurry to get my hands on an antenna and didn't want to wait.

Suzie

Status
Not open for further replies.