• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Getting a "Walkie-Talkie" for FRS Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

techguru

Hello! I don't know if this is the right topic to put this in, but here we go anyway.
I am looking basically for a walkie-talkie. I want something that won't require a license to use and won't be illegal to use. Not anything too expensive (under $100) and comes with 3-4 units that can communicate with each other at once. I don't need anything with a huge range, but just something that covers less than 5 miles. I would use it in a wooded area mostly (I live in MA in the middle of the woods lol). I just need some suggestions from all of you guys on recommended walkies that would fit my criteria.

Thanks! -Vincent

Ok, to be 100% legal what you're asking is not possible unless you win the lotto by finding a set of MURS radios at a failed business liquidation auction.

This is because your options are only UHF FRS which is only 500mw (half a watt) and VHF-HI MURS at 2-watts and HF AM CB at 4-watts.

The FRS option meets your price needs but not your distance needs.

The MURS option meets your distance needs but not your price needs.

The CB option is a gamble.

If going with the FRS option I would get these: Two 16 Mile/22 Channel FRS/GMRS Radios with AC Adapter - Two-Way Radios at Uniden Simple and rechargeable and no tempting illegal wattage available, just don't use channels 15-22.

If going with MURS I would get these Motorola RMM2050 On-Site 2-Way Radio (Single) RMM2050 B&H Photo Wonderful build quality, MIL spec.

CB might be a good balance between price and range depending on pirates and interference in your area.

PRO401HH Handheld CB Radio - CB Radios at Uniden

Last edited:

techguru

In my experience it is quite the opposite. I have several GMRS radios. I have some motorola talkabouts, and use an ICOM HT as a "base station" (10 dbd tower mounted antenna). They all work fine.

On the other hand, I also have 4 Boefengs. The transmit audio is extremely low. This is a known problem. Some work, some don't. In order to get usable transmit deviation on GMRS or FRS (which is NFM) I have to put it in WFM mode to have the audio sound like the cheap motorola talkabouts. On 2 meters, in WFM mode, all 4 radios are pretty much useless. Everyone tells me my audio is so low that they cant hear me.

I have tried the "open the microphone hole" trick... it did very little.

The factory is unresponsive.

The dealer ( 409 shop) basically said "what do you expect for $40 bucks?".

I know that some of them work OK, and some of them don't. It is a crapshoot.

Rick

UV-5R is soooooo last year. UV-82 is the current model and is supposed to be 100% better than the UV-5R.

Amazon.com : BaoFeng UV-82 (USA Warranty) Dual-Band 136-174/400-520 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Transceiver, HT - With Battery, Earpiece, Antenna, Charger, and More : GPS & Navigation

EmilyWolf

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sorry, I was under the impression that VHF was better in wooded area and UHF was better in an urban area....

Oh no I was referring to MURS devices. They tend to do the same as FRS. And 70cm goes through wood better. Unless the trees are low vegetation absorbtion wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

KF5YDR

No its not and murs is out of this guys budget and bad. Tech license for vhf is better

I see a lot of misinfo and FUD back and forth on whether VHF or UHF is better in the sticks.

It is a matter of physics that lower frequencies work better through foliage and trees and in uneven terrain. UHF is exclusively line-of-sight and is readily absorbed by living things.

Getting a ham license may be exactly what OP needs, if he wants to keep it 100% legal. That, however, has the disadvantage that everyone he needs to talk to needs to get licensed as well. I don't know if that's viable.

KF5YDR

Particularly, 440 is the beginning of the part of the EM spectrum where transmissions won't go through wood (or leaves, or people, or cows) worth a durn. When you get to about 700 MHz, you can step behind a bush and lose 3 dB. Around 1 GHz, heavy rainstorms start to become RF opaque. That's how weather radar works.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Oh no I was referring to MURS devices. They tend to do the same as FRS. And 70cm goes through wood better. Unless the trees are low vegetation absorbtion wouldn't be a problem.

I think you may have some research to do, no offense intended. :)

Frs is on UHF, and uhf is not recommended for simplex in wooded terrain.

VHF would be your best option, and for the op as well.

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.