• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Getting AFD from Group ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I talked to the people responsible for my county's new EDACS system and they sent me a list of talkgroup names/uses but say they do not have the corresponding AFS or decimal talkgroup designations. The response is that MA/Com does not even have them, they used the "GID" (group ID) numbers to program the fleet/subfleet info and it does not correspond to the AFS structure.

Is that true? If so, could there really be no "official" list of AFS ID's?

- Rob

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Not sure I understand how that would affect things - but as listed in my Location: I'm in MI.

nhiester

Database Admin
the GIDs are Decimal format. If you have the master list, you can set it up in the AFS on a spreadsheet if you need that format. Most folks just use the decimal format. Programmer software only uses Decimal format now.

nhiester

Database Admin
As far a matching up with the AFS structure, that depends on how they have the global fleetmap setup. There are many possibilities for this format.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
So are you saying that I can convert from their decimal GID to AFS, or not?

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
There used to be a chart on the internet somewhere (and I think it was possibly on a site administered by N9JIG) that showed every possible EDACS group ID in hex, decimal, and AFS. Ran several pages, as you might guess, but well worth having on your computer.

nhiester

Database Admin
You can figure out AFS from decimal if you know the number of Agencies and the number of Fleets in each agency. (You can have a different number of Fleets in each agency)

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Thanks - I'll just ask them to provide the list and see what I can do with it. I'm not sure what the GID is, if it just is a "code" for decimal I guess we'll be set.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
n0doz said:
There used to be a chart on the internet somewhere (and I think it was possibly on a site administered by N9JIG) that showed every possible EDACS group ID in hex, decimal, and AFS. Ran several pages, as you might guess, but well worth having on your computer.

This is the list in question..Not sure if it will help you Rob, But you can take a look and see..

Attachments

• DECHEXAFS.zip
    19 KB · Views: 69
D

DaveNF2G

AFS isn't really part of the EDACS standard. It's a Uniden invention.

SCPD

QRT
It doesnt matter how many agencies there are or anything ... there is a direct AFS value for each of the numeric values.

For example: Numeric 547 = 04-043 in AFS Value

If you search on google there are numerous conversion tools out there. I didnt look at the file above .. but it may be all in there.

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Thanks - the GID ends up just being the decimal equivalent. MACOM told the agency in question that the GID had no bearing on anything you could put into the scanner, which is why we had the questions. But it worked fine entered as decimal, or converted to AFS...

Status
Not open for further replies.