Getting ahead of the curve...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrova

I know a watched pot never boils, but I'm sitting here watching that dadburn pot, waiting for Tuesday when my new 500 will arrive. Been trying to get it in my brain how to set this unit up now so I'll be ready to go when it gets here. Using software (either the win500 or psredit) and this site (registered member), here's what I think I'd like to do - simple, I think, to start with:
Load local police (North) into scanlist 1.
Load all local fire/ems into scanlist 2.
Load local police (South) into scanlist 3.

The reason is there are going to be times when I only want/need to listen to the north police channels only...or the north channels and fire, or maybe even the fire by itself, and then probably most of the time, monitor all of them. Am I looking at this the right way in order to accomplish that? Or, is there another way to do this?
I'm figuring that this kind of breakup, according to my understanding the manual, is what I need to do in order to listen these groups separately. Make sense?
Thanks in advance for your help!
SV

Lakotawolf

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thats one way to do it. I just got mine yesterday. Let me tell you it takes some getting use to after being a 396T user. I`m still tweaking it out.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
That's one way.
Another is to use the software (I have both WIN500 & PSREdit500) to load different configs into the v-scanner folders, which is what I did for major fire/ems incidents. Flushed a couple of the ones for distant areas I'm unlikely to use anytime soon, & loaded it with stripped down v-scanner files. This would include the agencies that would respond to a major fire (like the welding company explosion we had months ago), or a large weather/tornado event. You can always break out some channels easily by tagging them as 'favorites'.

It's not as big a concern for me, since I usually carry both the PSR500 & my 396. With the 396, I can turn individual systems/groups on or off as well. Someone else may have an even better idea.

mrova said:
I know a watched pot never boils, but I'm sitting here watching that dadburn pot, waiting for Tuesday when my new 500 will arrive. Been trying to get it in my brain how to set this unit up now so I'll be ready to go when it gets here. Using software (either the win500 or psredit) and this site (registered member), here's what I think I'd like to do - simple, I think, to start with:

The reason is there are going to be times when I only want/need to listen to the north police channels only...or the north channels and fire, or maybe even the fire by itself, and then probably most of the time, monitor all of them. Am I looking at this the right way in order to accomplish that? Or, is there another way to do this?
I'm figuring that this kind of breakup, according to my understanding the manual, is what I need to do in order to listen these groups separately. Make sense?
SV

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
mrova said:

SV
What you are planning is probably the best way to go. After you get your 500, and try it for a while you can change things very easily and quickly with the software.

Dave

DewAddict

mrova said:

SV

Exactly what I did using PSREdit. What a great program. Now I can just turn off the scanlists I don't want to hear. I separated PD, FIRE and EMS into three scanlists. Also have different city systems on their own scanlists.

One of the features I enjoy about the 500 vs. the Pro-96 is that I can scroll through the talkgroups and select the one I want to monitor with a quick push of a key. With the Pro-96 I had to wait for traffic to come through and then "pause" that specific talkgroup.

Rob

mrova

Thanks!

Thanks all for the replies. I've been researching the board here for a long time, and just getting ready for this thing when it gets here. All of you, and so many more, have been a great help!
SV

Status
Not open for further replies.