Getting an IRQ error during winxp install on cf 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh380

I've been scratching my head trying to upgrade a panasonic cf-28 from win 2k to win XP. During the driver install process, I get the BSOD saying something about an IRQ driver error, then quickly shuts down and restarts. It goes too quickly to get the full error message otherwise I'd google it.

Anybody run into any issues installing/upgrading to win XP with a cf-28?

Rred

I assume you checked the Windows HCL (Hardware Certification List) and it says that notebook can run XP? Because even though XP is just a "dot one" incremental upgrade to W2K, when hardware is not on the HCL you have no reason to expect it will run *reliability* if at all.

And if you don't have XP drivers for the system...all it takes is a change in the IRQ controller to kill that possibility.

Panasonic might know best if this is possible.

Josh380

I did a little more investigating and it turns out the error Im getting is driver irql not less or equal. Im installing XP with sp1, or no service pack at all. Service pack 2 apparently fixes this issue. The problem is, Im not familiar with how to slipstream sp2 into the install CD..it's been a real long time. And the last time I tried failed miserably.

Rred

Slipstreaming...it has been too long. You can find that on the web but IIRC it might involved copying the SP1 disc to a hard drive then copying the SP2 files into it. You might also try calling Microsoft's licensing division on that. They have a very quiet (shhh!) division that sells replacement media. No serial numbers, just media. So for something like $15 they MAY still be able to sell you the retail version of XP/SP2. Or, Panasonic may be able to sell you the correct OEM version with all the right drivers included. (Sometimes free, sometimes $50, from OEMs.)
Worth a couple of phone calls if the slipstreaming seems like a PITA and you want the right disc to own.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
My thinking takes me back quite a few years.
When seeing an error like that (ie. "the floating point
is the square root of a negative number") or anything
pointing to a mathematical error usually points to an
error in the "math co-processor" Now back in the day
of the 386 and 486 computer it was usually fixed by
reinstalling the math co-processor software and it
was solved. Today's computers have the co-processor
internal to the main CPU. But these errors still do come
up occasionally.
One thing you might want to try is reinstalling your motherboard
driver software. (your motherboard support drivers such as
sound card, video, lan, etc.) One of those drivers should be your