Getting Audio from BOTH The Internal Speaker AND Through The External Speaker Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Friday I was listening to my HP-1. Since I was parked and my amplified speaker wasn't powered up, I partially unplugged the external speaker, so I could hear the audio. A bit later, while I was moving again, I realized that I was getting audio through both the internal speaker and the amplified speaker at the same time. That made me think that it might be handy to be able to do that all of the time. Anyway, has anybody here done a modification so this happens all of the time?

As a side note, my Yaesu FT-8800 transceivers had a menu speaker selection that offered:

-Internal

-External

-Both Internal And External

Mike_G_D

Usually those plugs are designed to have a physical contact that closes and opens depending on whether or not a plug is inserted. With no plug inserted they keep the circuit powering the built in speaker but when a plug is inserted (all the way) the contact is broken and the built in speaker is disconnected. If you carefully insert the plug only part way, you can cause the contact to stay closed while still making contact with the audio lines so, yes, you end up with both speakers working - essentially wired in parallel. That's ok as long as the total parallel load is within the spec'd limits of the audio driver.

It works but isn't very mechanically stable as many times slight movement of the speaker cords will cause the non-fully-plugged-in plug to loosen too much and cut out the audio.

Yes, modifications could be made to all this normally though it would void any warranty of course. It shouldn't be too hard to do depending on how you want it to work (like always both speakers on or adding some form of switch to control it, etc.).

-Mike

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Would wiring the amplified speaker "constant hot" be an option?

I've seen some that more or less power down when no audio is being received, so current draw many be minimal.

Also I've seen some creative wiring using a double throw switch to radio "stuff" in vehicular applications. One position the switch is on ignition, the other position is constant hot.

Double Throw Toggle Switch - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.