Getting back in to the hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattspayde

Premium Subscriber
I am currently working on getting back in to scanning and so much has changed since I last owned a scanner. My main question is on the scanner to get. I was looking to get the TRX-1 from whistler. I know it does phase 2. I also understand that the SDS100 does simulcast but was not sure if that was needed in Arkansas. I really am just looking for any suggestions on what may be best to get right back into it based on where scanning in Arkansas stands now.

Also, I live in Saline county and travel into hot spring county most days. I know Benton and bryant are encrypted so that will not matter. Didn’t know if my area would help the suggestion of where to start. Thanks from someone who is clueless on how to get back in.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Definitely get a scanner capable of Phase II, yes. You're right there. There are some areas of simulcast in the state, too. Honestly, I'd go with the Uniden but that's just preference.

I do have a Whistler 1098 and TRX-2 that I need to list for sale so I've had experience with both and I just personally like the Unidens better, though the Whistler models work as well.

boy7777777777

Little Rock has simulcast and garland county too. Sds100 would work best for them. I have a uniden 436hp and it works great ( just not for simulcast). I also have a trx-1. It works good but in rf dense areas it’s horrible. I agree with 03msc on liking uniden better. Uniden also supports the use of gps. You can turn it on and drive anywhere in the us and never have to program the scanner. It does it automatically with the use of the gps. I use that feature everyday when I’m going to work. You have to buy the DMR key for uniden scanners but they truly trunk track. Whistler doesn’t but their dmr is free. Uniden has far more features and better aftermarket software than whistler does in my opinion. Uniden scanners take a little longer to figure out how to use but it’s because of all the features.

Bob1955

I am currently working on getting back in to scanning and so much has changed since I last owned a scanner. My main question is on the scanner to get. I was looking to get the TRX-1 from whistler. I know it does phase 2. I also understand that the SDS100 does simulcast but was not sure if that was needed in Arkansas. I really am just looking for any suggestions on what may be best to get right back into it based on where scanning in Arkansas stands now.

Also, I live in Saline county and travel into hot spring county most days. I know Benton and bryant are encrypted so that will not matter. Didn’t know if my area would help the suggestion of where to start. Thanks from someone who is clueless on how to get back in.
I would go with Uniden America Corporation, they are the #1 in scanner technology and MUCH better quality. You may be able to get away with a BCD-325P2 or for a step-up, a BCD-436HP. You ONLY need a SDS-100 for simulcasting but in my area, my BCD-996P2 does just fine with New Rochelle, NY Police and they simulcast. I would give Bearcat Warehouse and call in Maryland and ask for Paul at 877-568-7227 and also look at his video's on YouTube too on all of their products. Call him Monday. They also do programing to and will update the software too.
Hope I helped you out. No need to OVER-BUY.
Have a nice Saturday night.

mattspayde

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for the help. If I were to go with the Uniden, would I need DMR, NXDN, and ProVoice upgrades? Just trying to see an overall price.

wbswetnam

Recently I was in downtown Little Rock with my BCD325P2 and it performed quite well, I thought, with the LR simulcast system.

wbswetnam

Thank you all for the help. If I were to go with the Uniden, would I need DMR, NXDN, and ProVoice upgrades? Just trying to see an overall price.
Certainly not ProVoice, since there are no ProVoice systems anywhere in the state. There is a good bit of DMR in rural counties in Arkansas, (the nearest to you is probably Hot Spring County) and some NXDN sprinkled around the state. Since you mention sometimes going to Hot Spring County, then yeah, you'd probably want that DMR upgrade so you can monitor the sheriff's department and rural fire departments.

mattspayde

Premium Subscriber
Certainly not ProVoice, since there are no ProVoice systems anywhere in the state. There is a good bit of DMR in rural counties in Arkansas, (the nearest to you is probably Hot Spring County) and some NXDN sprinkled around the state. Since you mention sometimes going to Hot Spring County, then yeah, you'd probably want that DMR upgrade so you can monitor the sheriff's department and rural fire departments.

Thank you for that. That helps a lot.

mattspayde

Premium Subscriber
Just FYI, in Hot Spring county on DMR, some departments have privacy (encryption) turned on. I know for certain that HSC SO, Malvern Fire, and Southwest fire are all clear.

Thank you for that. I see that I’ll definitely need DMR then.

ad5kl

Premium Subscriber
I’ve used the SDS100 all over the state & it works beautifully, plus when I travel Missouri, Illinois & Indiana . I live in Garland county & it works great with the Garland County and Little Rock AWIN simulcast, and it will be great when the City Of Hot Springs goes live with their new 4 site simulcast.

mattspayde

Premium Subscriber
So I got the SDS100 and it’s definitely a beast. I’m struggling with the programming a little. I have set it up in Saline County and feel that I’m getting a pretty good amount of traffic there. But, in Hot Spring County I have heard nothing. I upgraded the DMR and I just do not hear anything. I sometimes lock it to the closest site and let it run through AWIN but nothing. I’m not sure what I am doing wrong.

I do see that it’s getting easier by the day to hear the things I want but I just don’t know what I’m missing here. I also don’t know if this is the right place to ask for help on it.

Mike445

So I got the SDS100 and it’s definitely a beast. I’m struggling with the programming a little. I have set it up in Saline County and feel that I’m getting a pretty good amount of traffic there. But, in Hot Spring County I have heard nothing. I upgraded the DMR and I just do not hear anything. I sometimes lock it to the closest site and let it run through AWIN but nothing. I’m not sure what I am doing wrong.

I do see that it’s getting easier by the day to hear the things I want but I just don’t know what I’m missing here. I also don’t know if this is the right place to ask for help on it.
AWIN is P25 if you lock it to AWIN you won’t receive the DMR in the county.
How are you scanning? Zip code? Favorite list? If you’re using zip code you will need to change it every time you switch locations. Mike

mattspayde

Premium Subscriber
AWIN is P25 if you lock it to AWIN you won’t receive the DMR in the county.
How are you scanning? Zip code? Favorite list? If you’re using zip code you will need to change it every time you switch locations. Mike

I am using favorites lists. I’ll have to go back to the Hot Spring Co list I made and see how it’s set up. I have used the zip code previously.

Mike445

Okay. I use favorite lists too. Copy everything from the counties you want to your list. The scanner skips encrypted comms very nicely. Hope you get it working.
mike

mattspayde

Premium Subscriber
I don’t know if this helps but this is my screen locked on the Hot Spring Co dispatch and it haven’t heard a thing. I do have the DMR upgrade.

Mike445

Okay. In this pic you are using Zip? No favorite lists are enabled. You should eventually hear something. I’m in Hempstead so a bit too far to reliably receive. I’m gonna assume you have the law service types enabled?

Attachments

• DCB72450-F3FA-485D-9C7D-C17297168E8C.jpeg
    DCB72450-F3FA-485D-9C7D-C17297168E8C.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 6

mattspayde

Premium Subscriber
Okay. In this pic you are using Zip? No favorite lists are enabled. You should eventually hear something. I’m in Hempstead so a bit too far to reliably receive. I’m gonna assume you have the law service types enabled?

I am in a favorites list for Hot Spring Co just don’t have a quick key made for it. I go to scan selection and click on the list for this one.
And thank you for all the response.

Mike445

I am in a favorites list for Hot Spring Co just don’t have a quick key made for it. I go to scan selection and click on the list for this one.
And thank you for all the response.
Ahhhhhhh gotcha. You’re welcome. Hopefully you hear something soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.