Getting back into hobby after many years

Snopro1108

Premium Subscriber
Unless you want to listen to any of the above for your county you should not need any digital scanner. If you are interested in listening to the ones in the above post you will need a SDS series scanner to deal with the simulcast in your area. If you are not interested in digital talk groups you should only need an analog scanner to listen to the conventional frequencies in your county. A Uniden 125AT portable scanner should cover your needs very easily if you are not interested in digital or or DMR talk groups. As for your scanner apps it really depends if you want control over what you want to scan. Hope this helps.
Is the 125AT hard to program? Anything I won’t be able to get other than encrypted ? Thinking about pulling the trigger just don’t want to waste the money if it’s just going to set quiet on the dresser you know?

Thanks

freqs

Is the 125AT hard to program? Anything I won’t be able to get other than encrypted ? Thinking about pulling the trigger just don’t want to waste the money if it’s just going to set quiet on the dresser you know?

Thanks
There are some FD still on a patch page in Oakland Co some DPW are still Analog or DMR Digital .but if you want to monitor Oakland Co FIRE you will need the SDS 100 or 200 the County MPSCS System is Simulcast most other Scanner have issues Tracking Simulcast .the 125

freqs

There are some FD still on a patch page in Oakland Co some DPW are still Analog or DMR Digital .but if you want to monitor Oakland Co FIRE you will need the SDS 100 or 200 the County MPSCS System is Simulcast most other Scanner have issues Tracking Simulcast .the 125 at WIIL NOT GET THAT DONE

Snopro1108

Premium Subscriber
There are some FD still on a patch page in Oakland Co some DPW are still Analog or DMR Digital .but if you want to monitor Oakland Co FIRE you will need the SDS 100 or 200 the County MPSCS System is Simulcast most other Scanner have issues Tracking Simulcast .the 125
Thanks for this

Any others that cost a bit less and are super easy to program ?

Snopro1108

Premium Subscriber
None are super easy to program when it’s a digital trunked system. It’s insane to program a digital trunked system without software so if this is a problem for you, stick with Broadcastify. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks bud for the

Snopro1108

Premium Subscriber
Are there any scanners for my area ( Oakland County Michigan) that are “plug and play”that will work like back in the day where I just went to radio shack and purchased a crystal for my area and popped it in and it went on for hours with calls or ami better off using broadcastify ? I enjoy falling asleep to the calls but don’t want to waste my money. Thank you all for helping me here

GILLIG40

Premium Subscriber
Like @ferqs said with the simulcast that’s in your area you would need a SDS100/200 or a Unication G4/G5. He lives close to your area in Warren. He would know what will work. And like @jtwalker said you really need software to program these. Using Broadcastify Calls you should be able listen to quite a bit of what you would have with a scanner. I have a Downriver playlist I made for my nephew that I can send to you. Let me know if you want to try it.

Snopro1108

Premium Subscriber
Like @ferqs said with the simulcast that’s in your area you would need a SDS100/200 or a Unication G4/G5. He lives close to your area in Warren. He would know what will work. And like @jtwalker said you really need software to program these. Using Broadcastify Calls you should be able listen to quite a bit of what you would have with a scanner. I have a Downriver playlist I made for my nephew that I can send to you. Let me know if you want to try it.
Yes please send it

Thank yo

GILLIG40

Premium Subscriber
The Unication G4/G5 are pagers that with software can be programmed to work very well on simulcast systems. But again you need the software and a PC

Snopro1108

Premium Subscriber
The Unication G4/G5 are pagers that with software can be programmed to work very well on simulcast systems. But again you need the software and a PC
Got it
Will that be all that works in my area for what I’m looking to do?

GILLIG40

Premium Subscriber
The Gent from Warren Michigan would know what works in your area. The Toledo area that I listen to is simulcast. The SDS200s and the G4s that I have work flawlessly.

Snopro1108

Premium Subscriber
Hi there

I have made a couple of posts and just trying to get clarification . I live in Oakland County Michigan so most of my area is encrypted. The last scanner I owned was from radio shack and you just bought crystals for the area you wanted and that was it. Now I it’s so crazy with costs etc. I upgraded my broadcastify and it’s been great. Wondering if I should keep using that or pick up a new scanner and if so what kind for my area ? Something easy to program as I suck with computers and am on budget but I also don’t want to invest in a paperweight either lol.

Thanks in advance