Getting back into monitoring, PSR-500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, happy Tuesday :)

Did a quick search and didn't find an answer, I'm getting back into scanning after a 5 year absence, looking at the mentioned scanner as I want something that can move around the house with me and not break the bank. Is there any reason I wouldn't want the GRE over the RadioShack model? Same price and it includes the AC adapter and USB cable where as the RS model doesn't, is the actually scanner lacking any features? I won't be doing anything complicated, just standard analog and P25, no trunking. Thanks!

Swipesy

NhDave,

My opinion is this. You sound like a person who will be keeping their scanner for quite some time. If that is the case then you would be better off to invest a few more dollars and by the GRE 800. Technology is changing rapidly and the 800 is able to deal with the changes. The 500 is a great scanner but will not be able to deal with some of the new technology that is on the horizon.

If you still want to go with the 500 model then buy the GRE version. Although the GRE and RS are identical mechanically the GRE comes better equipped; GRE updates their version faster with (if there will be anymore) releases and support from GRE is excellant.

John

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
John, thanks for your input. I looked at the 800 and was kind of put off by the lack of keypad and "normal" scanner layout. I've been scanning since around 1980 and you know that "old dogs" saying!

I'll take a closer look at it, but I think it's overkill for what I have available in my area to listen to, which is this Rockingham County, New Hampshire (NH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference along with some railroad and air traffic.

rwier

NhDave,

My opinion is this. You sound like a person who will be keeping their scanner for quite some time. If that is the case then you would be better off to invest a few more dollars and by the GRE 800. Technology is changing rapidly and the 800 is able to deal with the changes. The 500 is a great scanner but will not be able to deal with some of the new technology that is on the horizon.

If you still want to go with the 500 model then buy the GRE version. Although the GRE and RS are identical mechanically the GRE comes better equipped; GRE updates their version faster with (if there will be anymore) releases and support from GRE is excellant.

John

Hey, you stole my opinion, lol. Nice answer!.

R

eagleswings01

Although the PSR-310 was the max for my budget, I just want to say that Grecom is a fantastic company. I even called their headquarters when I was loaded with questions (before buying) and the support was absolutely incredible. They include items with their scanners (like wall chargers) that Radio Shack charges you extra for.

Either way, welcome back to scanning!

Mike

n5ims

Hey all, happy Tuesday :)

Did a quick search and didn't find an answer, I'm getting back into scanning after a 5 year absence, looking at the mentioned scanner as I want something that can move around the house with me and not break the bank. Is there any reason I wouldn't want the GRE over the RadioShack model? Same price and it includes the AC adapter and USB cable where as the RS model doesn't, is the actually scanner lacking any features? I won't be doing anything complicated, just standard analog and P25, no trunking. Thanks!

Basically both the GRE PSR-500 and RS Pro-106 are the same (at least in my opinion). The AC adapter and USB cable really isn't an issue for me either since i wouldn't use the AC adapter (I charge the batteries using an external charger due to the issues with using the AC adapter causing batteries to overheat and at times blow out - search the RR forums for details, there are several threads on this) and already have enough USB cables. You can at times find the GRE on sale for less than the RS version and at other times find the RS version on sale for less than the GRE. This price would include the availability of any coupons (online or others) that may be applicable to the purchase. It's easy to find coupons for RS, but more rare to find them for the GRE.

To me, I'd pick whichever version has the best value at the time I was ready to buy. This may be due to sales price (including applicable coupons), because I can pick it up at a store and not pay shipping, or order it online and not pay sales tax on it. I would also factor in the value to me (at the time) of support policy, convenience, and other factors.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
I've been doing some reading on here and have already picked out a Maha 8 cell charger, kinda odd that they'd screw up such an important part of a portable radio as the charging system.

I have a BC120xlt that I've been using off and on for the last 5 years, which is when I sold my Pro 2096, and I have a Pro 2053 at work that I listen to, neither has had their programming updated in 5 years, luckilly things don'y change too much around here, I've just been without digital, so no PD listening.

Any idea when the next Shack sale is? :) I think I'll take n5ims advise and grab the first one I find a good deal on.

eagleswings01

Yup, they seem to be a good company too. The only down side for me was that they wanted $18 to ship the scanner by UPS ground which seemed pretty high for such a small box. SE has free shipping.

Either way, I don't think you would regret buying from either company!

Good luck,
Mike

n5ims

Any idea when the next Shack sale is?

No real idea, but the last few years RS has had the Pro-106 on sale during their Christmas sale period for very good prices (around $249 - $299). If you can wait, it may be worth it.

Don't forget that they have a running sale for 50% off on the USB cable with a scanner purchase if you need one. RadioShack.com - Promotion Offer The cable and scanner must be purchased at the same time for this discount to be good.

Below are some coupon links for RS. Please note that how several work is you click the link for the coupon and it will take you to the RS order site with the coupon code saved. The saving should appear on your order (if you go direct to the RS site, this coupon code won't work). I generally don't keep the list, but simply google "Radio Shack Coupons" to get the current list.

RadioShack Coupons and Coupon Codes (Exclusive Deals)
RadioShack® Coupon Code, RadioShack® Coupons, RadioShack® Promo Codes
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/radioshack.com

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
No real idea, but the last few years RS has had the Pro-106 on sale during their Christmas sale period for very good prices (around $249 - $299). If you can wait, it may be worth it.

Don't forget that they have a running sale for 50% off on the USB cable with a scanner purchase if you need one. RadioShack.com - Promotion Offer The cable and scanner must be purchased at the same time for this discount to be good.

Below are some coupon links for RS. Please note that how several work is you click the link for the coupon and it will take you to the RS order site with the coupon code saved. The saving should appear on your order (if you go direct to the RS site, this coupon code won't work). I generally don't keep the list, but simply google "Radio Shack Coupons" to get the current list.

RadioShack Coupons and Coupon Codes (Exclusive Deals)
RadioShack® Coupon Code, RadioShack® Coupons, RadioShack® Promo Codes
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/radioshack.com

You're a gentleman and a scholar, looks like I can get $20 off, plus free shipping, plus half off the cable, I'd rather not wait till a christmas sale, I'm one of those instant gratification people :)

Swipesy

NHdave,

One last comment. If you plan to travel outside of your residential area and are going to take your scanner with you, look at what kind of sytems these travel areas are using to make sure the Pro-106/PSR500 will work on their system. What I am really referring to is that new P-25 Phase II systems are beinging to show up. If they run TDMA then the scanners you are considering will not receive. It is almost certain GRE will not release upgrades to the PSR500/Pro-106 to make them compatible.

John

SCPD

QRT
The PSR 500 is an excellent scanner ... and one I would highly recommend. I personally like that it has a normal keyboard unlike the PSR800, but the PSR800 has the record feature, something that I think I would really like.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Ha ha - that was the hardest part of my research in buying a scanner! It was tough for me to be patient!

Take care,
Mike

Well, my lack of patients won out, I was bored last night and headed to my local Rat Shack and bought the Pro-106. Got half off the data cable and not worried about having a power supply as I have a Maha charger and 16 batteries on the way. See you all in the Radio Shack section, and thanks everyone for your input :)

robschonk

I initially felt the same way about a keypad, but I bought a PSR-800, and 99.9% of the programing has been by software. There's very little reason for me to program by keypad.

mke65

For the reasons above the psr-800 is the scanner of choice.

Built for the future upgrades coming sooner or later and VERY easy to program after one hour of time invested you will be a pro. Plus it allows 20 hours of recording on a 2 gb sd card. You of course can upgrade your card by simple copy paste.

I have not affiliation with GRE or Hamcity but here is the PSR-800 for the lowest price around 411 bucks.

https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=2458

Status
Not open for further replies.