Getting back into scanning......maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrn8waq

Good morning,
I have been away from scanning, as well as ham radio for a while, and have decided to get back into both. The ham radio part is easy, but the whole scanning world has changed considerably from what I am reading in the different forum posts in here. I am hearing a lot about the new SDS models, but have a pretty steep price tag. I am in Wayne county, and am wondering if it is worth getting back into. My primary purpose would to monitor the Downriver mutual aid group, county sheriff, and maybe HEMS, but I do not know if these are even capable of being scanned, or if they are planning to change to any non scanable encryption. Can anyone offer some feed back on what has changed in my area.
Thanks
John

afera15

W8AMF
Premium Subscriber
Downriver is currently completely open for you to be able to listen to other then their TAC channels. As for the rest of Wayne County, they are for the most part open, including the County Sheriff other then CID and TAC Channels. I have not heard any rumors on these agencies going encrypted anytime soon.

Downriver Mutual Aide:

Wayne County Sheriff and HEMS are on MPSCS

On these D = Clear, DE = Encrypted, De = Can be encrypted but not always

I would HIGHLY recommend an SDS or Unication as they are great in Simulcast areas like Downriver!

jrn8waq

Downriver is currently completely open for you to be able to listen to other then their TAC channels. As for the rest of Wayne County, they are for the most part open, including the County Sheriff other then CID and TAC Channels. I have not heard any rumors on these agencies going encrypted anytime soon.

Downriver Mutual Aide:

Wayne County Sheriff and HEMS are on MPSCS

On these D = Clear, DE = Encrypted, De = Can be encrypted but not always

I would HIGHLY recommend an SDS or Unication as they are great in Simulcast areas like Downriver!
Thanks for the info!

smithken

Premium Subscriber
Livonia PD and Canton PD are 100% encrypted, the rest of the city/township is open as far as I know. I have never had any trouble with simulcast issues with my older scanners (996T, 396XT or 296D) but from what I've heard I'm lucky to be in a good location and I don't do any mobile scanning. All of the stuff I listen to is also on the Northville site which is not simulcast. For future proofing I would get a phase 2 capable scanner but for now I don't know of any plans to go to phase 2.

afera15

W8AMF
Premium Subscriber
Livonia PD and Canton PD are 100% encrypted, the rest of the city/township is open as far as I know. I have never had any trouble with simulcast issues with my older scanners (996T, 396XT or 296D) but from what I've heard I'm lucky to be in a good location and I don't do any mobile scanning. All of the stuff I listen to is also on the Northville site which is not simulcast. For future proofing I would get a phase 2 capable scanner but for now I don't know of any plans to go to phase 2.
So are City of Hamtramck, DTW Police and Fire, Schoolcraft College

Hit_Factor

I'm having great results using a Blue Tail Technologies receiver on MPSCS. It works with simulcast, is easier to program than a SDS or Unication. Cost is under $300. You must have a computer to program it. But not to receive. Any windows machine that can run Java will work.

I sold my two SDS100s to buy two Unication G5. Sold a G5 after I picked up a Blue Tail.

freqs

I'm having great results using a Blue Tail Technologies receiver on MPSCS. It works with simulcast, is easier to program than a SDS or Unication. Cost is under $300. You must have a computer to program it. But not to receive. Any windows machine that can run Java will work.

I sold my two SDS100s to buy two Unication G5. Sold a G5 after I picked up a Blue Tail.

yea id have to look inti it .iam leaning on a scam

scanmanmi

Good morning,
I have been away from scanning, as well as ham radio for a while, and have decided to get back into both. The ham radio part is easy, but the whole scanning world has changed considerably from what I am reading in the different forum posts in here.
I agree completely. If you're getting you license I recommend getting your General. It's not a lot more than the Tech but opens up HF. Getting my General was way easier than understanding this scanner stuff with trunking, modes, simulcast, etc. If you're going to listen to a simulcast area the only scanner designed for that is the SDS100 & 200. Other scanners will be hit&miss. I recommend Home - Scanner School and Wednesdays at 8:00 eastern the Scanner Guys are live on YTube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi6DeMAxuw0WhLNSREiGEPg

Status
Not open for further replies.