Getting back into Scanning,Need suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys/gals,
It's been a long time since I did any sort of Scanning and then it was using a PC based program that wasn't really Wife friendly. I'm now looking into getting a Handheld so she can just turn it on when I'm not there.

Since my state,(NC) uses Phase I,should I even consider a Phase II scanner at this time? If I don't need to spend $400-$600 on a scanner that does Phase II,then that would be great.But if it would future proof if NC went to Phase II,then I would consider it.

If something that would do Phase I is all I need,then what would be some good options? I know you guys/gals will point me in the right direction. Thanks

KG4DRF

The larger question, is there a large DMR usage in your area? If there is most of the cheaper options will leave you missing any of their traffic. Be very thorough in your research and double check claims. We use a WS1040, and found out, too late, that it would not get DMR, nor would it get TMDA Phase 2 traffic and Whistler has no plans to offer an upgrade to fix. As I said at start, research all types of radio traffic you plan to monitor and use that to help see which scanner will best fit your needs.

Thanks for the info. I actually posted in the NC forum also to see what everybody was using and it looks like the Whistler 1040 is being used. I agree that I don't want to get something and it not be what I needed.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep welcome back to monitoring.

I can think of a few suggestions but talking with people from your area on your state forum is a good direction to go in.

As far as what equipment you use you are going to get all kinds of suggestions, most often it is people recommending what they use.

Things have changed. You have radios that are capable of Phase 2 tdma reception without simulcast distortion secondary to LSM. You have radios that can pick up DMR, nxnd and provoice.

Getting your wife involved is cool and all the more reason to have a good scanner.

As far as going on the cheap that may be difficult to get the most out of what's available to hear in your area.

The used Market is always an option but the best rule of thumb to me is get the newest and best radio available even if it means going a few hundred more than you were planning on paying, you don't know what's coming down the pike and you don't want to regret not spending more money now just to be disappointed a couple years down the line.

Enjoy and welcome back!... Bob.

Bob1955

Hey guys/gals,
It's been a long time since I did any sort of Scanning and then it was using a PC based program that wasn't really Wife friendly. I'm now looking into getting a Handheld so she can just turn it on when I'm not there.

Since my state,(NC) uses Phase I,should I even consider a Phase II scanner at this time? If I don't need to spend $400-$600 on a scanner that does Phase II,then that would be great.But if it would future proof if NC went to Phase II,then I would consider it.

If something that would do Phase I is all I need,then what would be some good options? I know you guys/gals will point me in the right direction. Thanks
airwavelistner-All new Uniden Bearcat digital scanners do both phase 1/2. I would suggest the BCD-325P2($340 range) which is a great handheld and the step up is the BCD-436HP($490 range) but uses a SD card with zip code feature for setting it up besides more feature you probably do NOT need. I would give Paul a call at Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland and their number I-877-568-7226 and free shipping and no sales tax either except to Maryland residents. Paul is "top notch" there.
Hope this helps you.

Bob1955

airwavelistener, also purchase(A MUST HAVE) Diamond RH-77CA(Go with the Remtronics from Bearcat Warehouse as they don't carry Diamond) that is 15" long for good all band reception unless your listening to 700/800Mhz only

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Think the 436 would serve you well. Take a look at it’s capabilities to see if it would work for you. Still some used ones out there to keep costs down. It’s a different style programming it. I like the zip code feature. Put that in, select range and what you want to listen to, then scan. Programmable too. Something inexpensive to get you back into scanning. Then down the road you can upgrade to the better scanners. You will want a better antenna than the one that comes with it. I put a tri band on mine. I upgraded to a Icom R30 so the 436 sits until needed when storms come around when I want to scanners going. Plus it’s set up for the wife to just turn it on to listen to local cops and weather when I’m not home. She would be lost operating my R30. Good luck on your decision. What do you want to listen to?

N8IAA

Thanks for the info. I actually posted in the NC forum also to see what everybody was using and it looks like the Whistler 1040 is being used. I agree that I don't want to get something and it not be what I needed.

Stick with the WS1040.

When I travel to WNC, I use my ancient Pro-106. The older brother of the 1040. Works flawlessly on the VIPER system. You won't need any high gain antenna either. The antenna that comes with the radio will work fine. Maybe, at the least, a Remtronix 800 MHz antenna for VIPER.

Over priced doesn't make it a better scanner.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I was using a Watson 889 jointed antenna on my TRX-1/BC125AT then recently bought the
Diamond RH-77CA for my 125 and wow what a difference. I am hearing Cincy towers and Columbus no problem. Thinking about buying another and storing the W-889 in my go-to comm bag for emergency spare. Very impressed with the
Diamond RH-77CA.

JD
kf4anc

Think the 436 would serve you well. Take a look at it’s capabilities to see if it would work for you. Still some used ones out there to keep costs down. It’s a different style programming it. I like the zip code feature. Put that in, select range and what you want to listen to, then scan. Programmable too. Something inexpensive to get you back into scanning. Then down the road you can upgrade to the better scanners. You will want a better antenna than the one that comes with it. I put a tri band on mine. I upgraded to a Icom R30 so the 436 sits until needed when storms come around when I want to scanners going. Plus it’s set up for the wife to just turn it on to listen to local cops and weather when I’m not home. She would be lost operating my R30. Good luck on your decision. What do you want to listen to?
Yeah, that would be great for my Wife. Just turn it on when something is going on.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I thought you would get some pretty good replies. Lots of sage advice here from everybody.

And you see it's not just the radio but it's the antenna that you're going to use as typically the rubber ducky that comes with the radio is not always the best antenna.

The Diamond RH - 77CA and the remtronix 800 consistently come up in RR as being highly recommended and they make a good pair to give you full coverage.

Glad to see you've had a good response here. Now, when do you pull the trigger :D?

Bob1955

I was using a Watson 889 jointed antenna on my TRX-1/BC125AT then recently bought the
Diamond RH-77CA for my 125 and wow what a difference. I am hearing Cincy towers and Columbus no problem. Thinking about buying another and storing the W-889 in my go-to comm bag for emergency spare. Very impressed with the
Diamond RH-77CA.

JD

kf4anc
NOTHING like that Diamond RH-77CA!

Status
Not open for further replies.