Getting Back into Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinJ

In earlier years I was active in various types of communications including radio scanning. As a private pilot, I also listen to air traffic often.
The advances in the radio world are impressive. With NXDN, DMR and P25, it seems the days of simple FM are long gone.

I was hoping for a little advice.

I am considering the different scanners now on the market and of course, came across the SDS 100 which seems to have embraced many of the new technologies. My interests are across the spectrum, including police, yet not surprised to learn they are for the most part, encrypted, which is completely understandable. I am not sure how many other organizations have chosen to encrypt or employ some of the more advanced technologies.

My question, in making an investment in an SDS-100 from Uniden, is it overkill when considering both encryption and adoption (or not) of the industry to these new technologies? Is a more basic FM based scanner more in line with where the radio communication industry is today and near future?

I am new to this site and hope my question is appropriate.

I should mention I live in Ontario, Canada

Thanks

Kevin

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
I don't think it is overkill. I am surrounded by P25 simulcast systems and the SDS100 and the SDS200 are the only scanners that will reliably receive them. The older scanners were not designed to handle simulcast. More simulcast systems are constantly coming on line. The SDS scanners are also the most future-proof as far as being able to add new capabilities. I believe that you will live to regret purchasing one of the other scanners when you find how limited they are.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Glad to hear you are back into scanning. Yes, the days of simple FM scanning have changed. Luckily,at my location there's still a lot to listen to with an analog-only scanner like the Uniden BC125AT. Am lucky that most of the public services here are still analog but surely I am missing some interesting comms with an analog scanner. You came to the right place for help, lots of folks here have great advice to share. Good luck on purchasing a new scanner..

tonybx

Premium Subscriber
Check Radio Reference for the types of radio systems and modes that are available in your area before purchasing a new Scanner. Also be open to other agencies to listen to beside Police and Fire and EMS. There are Railroads, and Air and Public Safety to listen to as well as your local Mall and Major stores. All the best in your scanning.

gdaykoloa

Premium Subscriber
My question, in making an investment in an SDS-100 from Uniden, is it overkill when considering both encryption and adoption (or not) of the industry to these new technologies? Is a more basic FM based scanner more in line with where the radio communication industry is today and near future?

Hi Kevin,

Like you, I was quite active in scanning, CB, HAM, and more, but, decades ago; buying physical crystals was more my speed when I started in the hobby!

However, earlier in 2019 the hype around the SDS-100 and SDR in general really took hold in me. I had dabbled with the HackRF One, and liked what the technology of SDR could offer...so, whilst on holiday celebrating a milestone birthday, I ordered the SDS-100 and had it delivered to the hotel.

Not a single regret since. Yes, a lot of interesting stuff has been going encrypted, but, I see the huge value to encryption in the wider context, so, accept that the impact that it has on the hobby for now.

There is still a vast amount of "stuff" out there to listen to and learn from, and what you get out of scanning these days will really depend upon what it is you find of interest.

For me, knowing the ins and outs of local public transportation (including outages, problems with lines, etc) has been invaluable. Also, listening to local vehicle towing firms has been enlightening (a strangely philosophical collection of drivers...).

And, being an Aussie, well, listening to the local fire services at the moment is a simple matter of survival.

There was a LOT to wrap my head around with the SDS-100, but I think you'll find it is worth it (depending upon whatever is broadcasting in your region, of course). I'm hopeful that Uniden is going to really take advantage of the SDR platform and add new features and enhancements (so far, they really haven't done so, sadly) down the road.

I'd say go for it, it's an investment, to be sure, but, I reckon you'll get a fair bit of use out of it!

scanmanmi

You'll have to decide what you want to listen to before you buy. If you want airplanes, trains, busses, hospitals then you can pick up almost anything pretty cheap. If you want P25 and trunking then you'll need a digital scanner. It looks like they are pretty fond of DMR up there so you may have to get one where you can buy a DMR option. If you have simulcast or may be getting a Phase 2 system you'll have to get more serious. I am reluctant to buy an SDS because of upcoming encryption. Also I could use a new computer.
I like scannerschool.com

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So go to your database where you live and see what systems you have. Check your local and State systems.

Although it seems like there's a lot of scanners out there to pick from it's deceiving. Brand X sells rebranded radios that have close to 20 year old technology and the latest radio they sell is technology from 10 years ago and that's the top of the line for them.

Uniden has the home Patrol radios introduced about 6 years ago but very nice radios, not great performers on the latest digital systems like tdma Phase 2 because they have problems with simulcast Distortion secondary to LSM.

Any questions about terms just look it up on Google and it'll take you right to the threads that will explain it all to you.

Yes encryption is a problem. That's a personal decision whether or not you want to invest a lot of money into a hobby that is slowly becoming extinct if you want to hear police and other public service. There are other things to listen to but people buy police scanners for...

Your first step is look at the radio reference database and see exactly what kind of systems you have in your area. Go to your own State's forum and make some friends. Talk to people who are in your area or County and you'll soon learn what kind of radio they use for the systems that you have.

Welcome back, you might get lucky and everything you want to hear is available and not encrypted. You may find you're able to buy one of the older Bearcats used and it'll fit the bill. As far as the new SDS scanners go... Remember the old rule... You get what you pay for.

Good luck.

paulmohr

Ya it really kind of boils down to where you live and what you want to listen to. For some it is worth the investment for others not at all. If all you want to do is listen to police and fire for your county/city and it is encrypted you are screwed. My area recently switched from analog to digital, which was ok because I purchased a scanner that could do it. If they decide to encrypt at some point which I heard they might then the 300 some dollar scanner a got a few years ago is going to be a fancy brick to me lol. I personally have no interest other areas of scanning, I just wanted the police and fire stations. I suppose if forced to I could change my though. The more likely case is I would just give the scanner to my dad or something.

Another thing to consider is if you like to play, which it sounds like you do, would be get a software radio. It is a dongle that plug into your computer and use software to search frequencies. I think it is called SDR. I ordered some cheap usb dongle from China and got a cheap laptop to plug it into. It is basically a cheap little portable radio reciever. I think the dongle was like 20 or 30 bucks ( you can get more expensive ones though) and the laptop was like 100 bucks. Any computer will work though, I just thought it would be cool to have one dedicated to it for some reason. Honestly it is kind of fun to play with and I am not really a radio nut. And it was a lot cheaper than a normal reciever or something. And since it doesn't transmit I don't need any kind of license.

Status
Not open for further replies.