Getting Back to the hobby need a new Radio.. AOR AR DV1 any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wogga383

Hi all I am getting back into the SWL/Scanning hobby and things are digital! ~Fortunately plenty of clear channels here. I have been comparing Uniden, Whistler and AOR for my rig. How good or bad is the AOR DV1? I will be using it for HF/SW, Airband and digital. It is a substantial cost owners what is your opinion and compared to the SDS200 and TRTX2 if you have experience. Does the AOR justify the expense.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Big difference other than the price tag: Uniden and Whistler are SCANNER RADIOS. The AOR AR-DV1 is classified as a COMMUNICATIONS RECEIVER. While the DV1 decodes more digital modes right out of the box and has memory and scan functionality, it cannot trunk track, identify talkgroups, network IDs, radio IDs, etc like a scanner can. If these functions are important to you, then the DV1 probably won't be the best choice. With that said the SDS & TRX scanners don't cover the HF band. I own a DV1 and it is a decent performer on the digital voices, it's OK on HF. I have a few DV1 demo videos on my Youtube channel (link is in my signature) Good luck with making an informed decision & 73!

N8IAA

Hi all I am getting back into the SWL/Scanning hobby and things are digital! ~Fortunately plenty of clear channels here. I have been comparing Uniden, Whistler and AOR for my rig. How good or bad is the AOR DV1? I will be using it for HF/SW, Airband and digital. It is a substantial cost owners what is your opinion and compared to the SDS200 and TRTX2 if you have experience. Does the AOR justify the expense.

No HF or SW on the scanners. No scanning digital trunking modes on the DV1. Air band, VHF/UHF, on the scanners listed.

In my own opinion, not owning a DV1, it all depends on what you want to monitor. I wouldn't pay the price for it, or the SDS200/TRX2.

wogga383

Cheers for the responses they are appreciated, I have an Icom for mobile use which is superb. I was going to snag the digital round here which appears to open when I use DSD+ with an SDR. But as luck would have it a quality used AOR turned up on one of the UK dealers yesterday
at the same price as the SDS200. Decision made it went in the bag. We will see if it was a wise buy!

Thanks for your feedback.

DeepBlue

I will add that as a DV1 owner for a few years now, mine is excellent on Air and Mil-Air bands as well as (of all things) the SatCom frequencies. I have actually been able to hear the SatCom pirates using just the whip antenna in my garage in central Ohio. I currently normally use a home built X-Wing (search the net for the free design) antenna with an AR preamp for the Satcom bands and it does excellent. As others will happily tell you it is mediocre on HF. The Butel software is good and there are a few software packages out there that work very well with it from interested third parties, including better implemented software band scopes. It is a great receiver for what it is. I hope you like it.

Sean

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you want HF coverage, get a Software Defined Radio - these days, that's the way to go. Even an used ham transceiver (most of the modern ones have general coverage receivers built in) will outperform a R30 or DV1 when it comes to selectivity (separating 2 stations from one another) and strong signal handling.....these handhelds are really for the very casual listener insofar as HF is concerned. Mike

wogga383

I will say, if you can afford it, grab an SDRPlay AND the VD-1. I have both (among a lot of other radios now) and they are good.

Sean

I have the SDRplay Sean it was its spectrum that showed up a lot of digital activity in my area and other VHF/UHF signals.

I think you need both, that would be an OK beginners monitoring station. ;)

Don't tempt me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.