OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
hi just set up a laptop with a usb dongle, works fine, dsd is giving me errors,

couldn't open /dev/dsp
ioctl reset error speed error

I am running a hp pavillon dv5 with dual core amds at 2.4 ghz
the sound device is amd high def device

anyone one know what i should do?

What version of DSD are you using? What is the precise link you downloaded it from? Did you follow the directions that came with the download? Did you compile it yourself?

Mike

pdeveau2010

dsd v 1.6 got it from the sdr sharp links, yes i did follow the instructions, i have all of this working on a desktop, now just trying to get the laptop set up. and no i did not compile it, i am running windows 7 and just using trying to see if anyone had the errors i got , thought there may be a quick fix.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
dsd v 1.6 got it from the sdr sharp links, yes i did follow the instructions, i have all of this working on a desktop, now just trying to get the laptop set up. and no i did not compile it, i am running windows 7 and just using trying to see if anyone had the errors i got , thought there may be a quick fix.

If you're running Windows and /dev/dsp doesn't work as the input/output device, I'd suspect you've got a bad version of cygwin1.dll . Wherever you got it, if you got version 1.7.26 it is broken. You need 1.7.27 from the cygwin.com snapshots (dated 12-01), or something prior to 1.7.26.

mike

KA2ZEY

I had the same problem except that I didn't get the error. Instead I just don't get any feed into DSD and yes, everything is working with SDRSharp and VAC.

I then saw that there was a new version of cygwin and that's probably what happened. I have the new version which doesn't work.

When I look for the older versions, it looks like they are all linux .tar files. Where do I get the Windows install versions?

KA2ZEY

Ah ha, I just read on the RTL-SDR blog re: Using SDRSharp and DSD that you should only download the 32 bit version of Cygwin.

KA2ZEY

Well I spoke to soon. Now I'm getting the something similar to the OP's errors. Ugh, are there any old version of Cygwin floating around?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
RTL-SDR Tutorial: Decoding Digital Voice (P25) with DSD - rtl-sdr.com

The crazy thing is that I had all this working perfectly 2 weeks ago. I had to do a re-install of Windows 7 via Bootcamp because I got a new MBP.

I gave you the answer you were looking for in another thread that you posted in. If you downloaded the latest Cygwin from their site (1.7.26), it's broken. Either use something older or download/extra the DLL from their latest snapshot on their Snapshots page.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.