Getting first HT 2m/70cm

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrwill

Plus One for the FT60R, very good audio on receive. And the Kenwood TMV-71 for the Station radio, 'down the Ham road'.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The OP is in Florida which is pretty flat. If any of those repeaters is on top of a tower or high-rise building range can easily be 20 miles with an HT. Can't do that here in PA, nor in many places in MI.

kayleesdad

He may be talking all over the state of florida with the HT, quite a system of linked repeaters down here.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Great choice! Better than any similar new radio, including the Yaesu FT-70. For an antenna, I suggest the Ed Fong. I have had one for several years and it has survived 70 mph wind gusts and gives me good coverage. Very easy to mount and maintenance free. I use a push up aluminum flag pole from Harbor Freight which has survived the same strong winds.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Was on the phone with Ham Radio Outlet concerning the Alinco DJ-MD5TGP, as it looked interesting, they said I should call Alinco and ask about the Part 90, as it is a business commercial available for amateur radio and what is meant by it.
I wouldn't recommend the Alinco MD5. I have one and also the Anytone 878. The Alinco is a good radio and has both analog and DMR. What I don't like is Alinco's lack of software and firmware updates compared to Anytone. You should also check the frequency coverage if you are looking for amateur/commercial use. Both radios have full VHF, but only top out around 480 MHz on UHF.

Also mmckenna makes some excellent observations about Part 90 certification. Others have suggested the Yaesu FT-60 and I also agree with that suggestion.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't recommend the Alinco MD5.
What I don't like is Alinco's lack of software and firmware updates compared to Anytone.

Just got a DJ-MD5 and I love it.

I'm curious. Are there specific bugs you've run into with the Alinco that you are hoping will be fixed in a firmware update?

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I'm curious. Are there specific bugs you've run into with the Alinco that you are hoping will be fixed in a firmware update?
Even though I don't use it, APRS functionality is a major bug.
Considering the similarities between the Alinco MD5 and Anytone 878, it seems Alinco just isn't as responsive as Anytone. Like all firmware updates, if your radio works fine, then there is no need for an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.