Getting into all this - East GTA - Ontario

ExportEh

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I had a close relative who was into HAM radios and I guess being nostalgic I figured I'd look into it for myself.
Talking with the family, they keep decades worth of hardware but before I dive in too deep and invest time in getting my license, I’m hoping to see how active things are in my area (East GTA).

I did get myself a BAOFENG UV-9R just for ease of portability. Got CHIRP all setup and running.
I’ve been reading... tons… But still not enough I’m sure.
I’m not a chatty kind of guy, I just want to listen and learn. Then once I’m licensed we shall see.

All that being said, I’m trying to see how busy the channels are out here.
I’m in a unique topography. North of a few good sized cities, on top of a ridge with clear sight lines all around.

I’ve been snooping GMRS/FRS just fine.

I’m wanting to check out the 136 MHz – 174 MHz and from 400 MHz – 520 MHz a little further.

If I’m understanding correctly to set my radio correctly to see if there’s much action I’d be using the following:
136 MHz – 174 VHF, narrow band.
400 MHz – 520 MHz UHF, wide band.
Is the above correct?

What frequency step would I use for both to ensure it’s going through all those frequencies (kind of) efficiently?

Thanks!

gary123

VHF 5kHz
UHF 12.5 MHz

Expect to hit a lot of digital signals. As always, log what you find and where. This is how the database was created and how its kept current.

ExportEh

Premium Subscriber
VHF 5 kHz
UHF 12.5 MHz

expect to hit a lot of digital signals. As always log what you find and where. This is how the data base was created and how its kept current.

Awesome. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. :)
Should I be on Narrow for VHF and Wide for UHF?

Manage to find an Ajax EMS dispatch or something. LOL
Has frequent oscillating weird noise. Going to assume digital communication but still pretty cool.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber

Has frequent oscillating weird noise. Going to assume digital communication but still pretty cool.

EMS (everywhere but Toronto) is currently fully analog. You're likely picking up some the FleetNet frequencies. If you're in Durham, likely on the "WHITBY" site. Bell FleetNet Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1 Trunking System, Southwest Zone, Ontario

torontokris

Premium Subscriber

As mentioned Durham/Oshawa EMS is on Bell FleetNet. That is a trunked system (so various talkgroups will be heard from EMS to OPP etc). If you are simply scanning the channels with a non-trunking analog scanner you will get a mix of EMS and then digital OPP (the noise you are hearing).

If its a constant noise (never stops) its the control/data channel. A trunking system rotates the frequencies / assigns one of the available frequencies to the next talkgroup. ie you cant just sit on one frequency and hear Ajax EMS (like in the old days of scanning)

gary123

Stick with narrow on VHF. Anything wide will come through even if a bit fuzzy. You can then set to wideband if you choose to monitor that freq. For UHF the opposite is best. Choose wide and then if it sound quiet or low audio switch to narrow.

ExportEh

Premium Subscriber
As mentioned Durham/Oshawa EMS is on Bell FleetNet. That is a trunked system (so various talkgroups will be heard from EMS to OPP etc). If you are simply scanning the channels with a non-trunking analog scanner you will get a mix of EMS and then digital OPP (the noise you are hearing).

If its a constant noise (never stops) its the control/data channel. A trunking system rotates the frequencies / assigns one of the available frequencies to the next talkgroup. ie you cant just sit on one frequency and hear Ajax EMS (like in the old days of scanning)

Ok Awesome.
So the channels I'm getting are a mix of both as you described. I did come across a few data channel but, not worried about those.

If I read correctly, if I join Premium I can download an Excel and load the correct settings via CHIRP.
There's also supported radios. Is Baofeng one?
Is what I'm trying to achieve even possible?

ExportEh

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
One last question if I may and I think I'll have a good leg up.
How would I access the Bell FleetNet Bell FleetNet Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1 Trunking System, Southwest Zone, Ontario
I think I'm getting one of those on 142.290 but I'd like to receive it without having all those intermittent static/machine gun noises.
From what I've learned on the suggestion above it's DMR.

And thanks all for the guidance it is appreciated.

It's not DMR - you just need a real, proper scanner to trunk track and listen to it properly. The data noises are either P25 (OPP / MTO) or the control channel. See "Trunking Basics" to get a better idea of how this system works.

However, the system is being converted over soon and expected to be fully digital and encrypted. If you'd like to listen in the mean time, you could pickup an older scanner to listen (Uniden 996 series are a good one for it).

ExportEh

Premium Subscriber
Is there anyone in Ajax (I'm on the very north end) willing to take a listen to 142.2900 for a bit?
With your fancy setup, can you tell me if the attached settings from CHIRP are the ideal?
I have a feeling I'm a little off the channel but just can't get dialled in.

Also in passing... got to listen to a few chewing the rag earlier as they say. Very pleasant and positive. Just what I needed today :)

Attachments

• 141290.JPG
    141290.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 28

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
The frequency will change all the time - it won't always be EMS. It can be OPP, MTO, EMS, etc. The set of frequencies are all part of the trunked system site. You would be wise to disable transmitting on these channels too.

gary123

Agreed having TX enabled can lead to accidental TXing. Best to avoid any issues and set everything to RX only. Also as a double failsafe set TX power to low that way you may luck out and not TX all over the place.

ExportEh

Premium Subscriber
Good call.
I just disabled Tx on all MR. I'm not a chatter but oops could happen.

My concern now is when I'm licensed and decide to take my relatives older equipment I'll still be stuck to listening to those machine gun sounding noises on the few channels I can get.
No way to filter that portion out eh?

gary123

No way around it unless you lock them out. The good news is many CC (control channels) stay on the same frequency. As far as the P25 users on the voice channels, your out of luck. The only way would be to have a P25 compatible radio to decode the P25 users when on the frequency.

Many hams use the Motorola Astro or Astro25 series radios for just that reason. NOTE very soon the FleetNet system will transition to LMRN and you won't need to worry about listening to those frequencies because they will be encrypted.

ExportEh

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for helping me understand, pointing me in the right direction. Not too many places online where there's a great community to help check my expectations.
I've decided a high end scanner and also going ahead with my Ham license will be my next steps.
Greatly appreciate all the info.

gary123

Speaking for everyone here; You are welcome. Good luck on the license I personally feel your not going to have any troubles.