Getting license

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I still say the best way to learn is to take an amateur license course. Other methods are memorization. Taking a course through a ham club has so many benefits not found on individual learning. And one can always tell those that did the self learning, especially those without a radio or electronics background.

KE0GXN

I second HamStudy.org. Used it for both my tickets and plan on using it for Extra when I get around to it.

I also used Gordon West's books. Up to you how you want to do it. I am not ashamed to say I used the memorization method. But after getting my tickets, I sought Elmers and joined a Club. Those two decisions right there have taught me more about amateur radio then any online site, book or course could have ever taught me.

Getting your ticket is just the foot in the door, the real learning starts afterwards. Just my humble opinion, but to each their own.

Good luck in whatever way you decide to get into and learn the hobby!

royldean

I still say the best way to learn is to take an amateur license course.

For sure this is true, but let's be realistic. It's been 4 years. If getting a ham license so that you can use a Baofeng on the local repeaters is a life goal, then just get the tech license. The other users of the repeaters will keep you honest, and will probably do everything in their means to get you to join the local club anyway.

t0xPro-197

Premium Subscriber
welp im gonna try getting mine this year just got my murs lic next is ham radio cause i wanna be able too help out its what i believe the Lord put me on this earth to do

Status
Not open for further replies.