• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Getting M1225 software to run in Windows 10 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruiseomatic

Been trying to get the software to run in Win 10 64 bit however despite all the measures I've taken it still refuses to run. Compatibility, Run as admin, Etc...
Nothing seems to do it. Is there something I'm missing? 32bit software should run in a 64bit environment with no issues. I can get it to run in a V.M. of Win7 but would rather it run natively if at all possible.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I could never get it to work and neither could any of my coworkers, not even with W7 32 bit. So, we used an XP virtual machine and it worked just fine after that.

a417

I highly recommend using a vintage of an operating system that was relevant at the times. The service manual I have for m1225s is dated 1999 so i'd venture to guess that you'd want 98(se),2000 or XP at the latest.

Yes, windows compatibility mode touts the ability to run older software with those compatibility settings...however moto software does tend to be the outlier usually. The programming computer I use for any m1225s is a CF-41 walking windows xp. Even your windows 7 VM would be too new for you to pull it off. If you could get a VM (or better a hardware boot) of XP going you might have more luck.

Those of us that continue to allow ourselves to be held captive by moto programming software for our older moto gear have usually quite a historical archive of hardware and software in our basement..er...archival office for acomplishing just want you want.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Yup. Sound advice. One can waste hours tinkering with ancient versions of CPS/RSS trying to get it to run on newer O/Ses, and it may run, but then it may bomb out when reading/writing a radio, and older radios can be left in a "comatose" state that one will spend more hours and days wasting time trying to recover.

The computer history museum most of us have who support legacy radios range from 1990s MS-DOS machines, to Windows XP and Windows 7 32 bit laptops (which fortunately are currently plentiful) along with other necessary peripherals like spare hard disks. All part of the right tools needed for the job.

6079smithw

The only platform I've used that will reliably run the 1225 RSS is 98SE. I tried XP with the various addons to no avail, and
finally settled for an ancient Toshiba laptop and a K6-350 mHz tower running 98SE. No problems with either one on 1225s.
Bonus here is most all DOS based RSS (GM/MaxTrac etc) will run on 98 when booted in DOS mode.
Make sure any of the wood-burners you use have gen-yoo-wine serial ports as even the built-in USB on some older
mobos just aren't that stable with RSS.

This is just my experience here, YMMV.

a417

NOTE: I should mention I haven't personally tried this so I can't say for sure if it works with Motorola's software in particular.
Yeah, there's nothing earthshattering there...or even worth trying with Moto software. These 'hacks' only get you (un)reliably back to XP in a manner of sorts... You still need REAL DOS and a serial port for what most of what we maintain.

that is part of coming to terms with our terminal affliction of "The Disease"

Last edited:

6079smithw

Yeah, there's nothing earthshattering there...or even worth trying with Moto software. These 'hacks' only get you (un)reliably back to XP in a manner of sorts... You still need REAL DOS and a serial port for what most of what we maintain.

True dat. Another thing to keep in mind is most 1225s aren't that easy to un-brick. (Ask me how I know that!) :D

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Forget Windows 10 for older radio software. Even my BlueDV DMR program would not work until I downloaded the latest version (5-9-2020) due to the latest MS updates. Some of the CPS and cables will require a true COM port (RS232) even though you will find many USB cables offered. Some older radios can be damaged if the data is sent too quickly with a high speed processor in newer computers. I even maintain a DOS 6 computer because my HT600 will not talk to any new operating system, including a DOS box in any version of Windows.

a417

Forget Windows 10, Win 8, Win 7, Win Vista, Win XP, Win 2k, Win ME, Win NT 4.0 for older radio software
FTFY.

98SE or DOS

...and moslo is not an option.

I do maintain a fair amount of kludges to do what I need, like DosBOX, wine or a VM for editing ease...but there is no way in HELL i'd use anything other than true dos on a period appropriate hardware installation to push bits.

K2NEC

+1 on what mmckenna said. I have an old Dell laptop that runs XP just for older softwares like this.

FWIW it might just be worth it to buy an older laptop with XP on it if you want to play around with the older radios. And they are reasonably priced too since not too many people are looking for XP anymore now-a-days.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I picked up a Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 loaded with XP and equipped with a real serial port for $129. It was dealer refurbished. It’s perfect for the M1225 4.0 cps as well as the Professional and Commercial Series radios. It also handles the Minitor V CPS. Those original programming cradles worked best with a serial port.

This a most worthwhile purchase for me.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
Yep we still have quite a few 1225 mobiles and portables we've farmed out for pov use and the latest OS that will work reliably for me is XP on an old netbook, which works really well for doing updates without removing the radios.

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
Unless you know some magic trick that many of us don't, there is no way to make 1225 CPS work on anything beyond XP. There is no way to force it to work on 64 bit machines because of they way the controller runs the software. That is directly from Mother M. Those radios were designed when windows was still 16/32.

Status
Not open for further replies.