• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Getting my GMRS license... Whats the deal with HAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinderik

Going to get my GMRS license. After being helped here and reading a lot of the posts and topics etc I feel like it will be a nice idea. I currently use mine for my Patrol gig only.

Was also thinking about getting 1 or two more Radios for my wife and my son. Every time I bring my cell phone out skiing with them I either never hear the damn thing ring or it drops out of my pocket somehow or its just a Pain in the A$$ to get out. I'm not really sure of the viability of using them at a mountain resort without the aid of a repeater though =/, so there is that.

Is there a benefit to getting HAM license for someone like me? I'm not really super into building a home station and trying to reach people across the country, more into using quality (Is a MTS2k quality? lol) handhelds for communication.

On a side note if anyone has a couple of MTS2k H01RDD's for sale lying around I might like to buy them. I was looking into Baofengs as a alternative but I like my MTS2k so far.

As always everyone's advice is appreciated.

Thinderik

So just get my GRMS and call it a day? If I recall correctly what I read on the FCC website if I register then the people in my immediate family are also allowed to use the radios?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So just get my GRMS and call it a day? If I recall correctly what I read on the FCC website if I register then the people in my immediate family are also allowed to use the radios?

Right, that's the nice thing about GMRS, you'll only need the one license for your family.
Amateur radio requires that each individual person be licensed. Not impossible, but many people do not have the interest in going through that.

You likely will not need a repeater on a ski slope. Unless you get really separated from your family, simplex (radio to radio) communications is good enough.

Be aware that GMRS radios are quite popular, so you may have to put up with a lot of other users. Since you are limited to the 15 simplex channels, you may have some competition.

Not sure the MTS2000's have the necessary FCC Part 95 certifications for GMRS use, but they do make good radios. I used one on GMRS for a few years.

KG7LER

Premium Subscriber
I have both a Ham and GMRS license, the GMRS works great as my wife is dealing with work and college, she has plenty of excuses for not getting a ham license. We talk on the club repeaters and direct all the time while either of us are out and about. I will always take my radios over cell phones any day.

farmerjack09

I know you did it by accident but the correct term is GMRS and I would encourage you to get both a GMRS and a amateur license.You never know when they will come in handy and it is easier now to become a ham than ever before so go for it and I think you will enjoy it .

You do not have to build your own equipment if you wish not to.The choices of equipment are readily available at at just over $100 to however much you wish to spend but do not forget used equipment and you will find a few websites with reputable sellers.Good luck of getting into the communication business and hope to see you on the air.

KD8DVR

If you are mostly using a radio to talk to your immediate family, a GMRS license is really all you need. GMRS is more a "utility" than a hobby. GMRS users usually aren't concerned with talking to people outside their own groups. It sounds like GMRS is your best fit.

Amateur radio is more a hobby, where you want to communicate with a wider range of people. Plus, it allws you to tinker with things and explore the technical aspects of radio. Some people have both licenses; but that fits that person's interests.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Indeed they are!

As far as Part 95A type acceptance, you might want to look into that. I am thinking of drafting an NPRM requesting the FCC grandfather certain Part 90 radios for GMRS. There is a ton of wideband public safety gear that could help bolster GMRS activity.

The MTS2000 is compatible with a AA battery clamshell which I think is a plus for any extended outdoor activity. Personally I use a Systems Saber which is already Part 95A certified and have started retrofitting Lithium Ion cells into battery packs.

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

(snip)

Was also thinking about getting 1 or two more Radios for my wife and my son. Every time I bring my cell phone out skiing with them I either never hear the damn thing ring or it drops out of my pocket somehow or its just a Pain in the A$$ to get out. I'm not really sure of the viability of using them at a mountain resort without the aid of a repeater though =/, so there is that.

(snip)

On our family trips to national Parks, in summer or winter on snowmobile trips I used a Systems Saber and my wife and son used smaller Icom IC-4008's. Those are very nice radios that still look and work fine today. We used one of the GMRS/FRS shared channels. I had a bit more power and better antenna so one of us was always being heard even though on simplex.

Status
Not open for further replies.