Getting Paid For Scanner Use???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bentley

I recall a thread on here about news agencies paying people for giving them breaking news stories. I've been looking and looking but I can not find it.

Anyway....is this just a myth or is it true? Has anyone ever done that before?

Thanks!

cellblock776

I regularly tip to a local TV news station and have never gotten a penny. I have a nice cap from the station one day when I was there talking to some of the on air talent but not much else.

cristisphoto

Most have there own scanners in there Vans,Offices etc..

To them scanner listeners are nothin but a bunch of fruits ans nuts lol
Anyways
yeah
It like that lol
Regards,
Crista

fnnm1062

longtime member
my local tv stations are not able to always cover the area, and dont have anyone dedicated to listeinging to them (just if somebody is near them). So they appriciate ll the help and have given me caps, shirts, pens, mugs, invites to the stations. Right now I am in the process of trying to get hired on a part-time basis at a station to help listein in and answer phones.

Dave

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Back in the 90's, I was a major "caller in" of traffic conditions (Atlanta), and the boss asked me if I wanted to come fly for all my help. That was cool! Then the best part came at the end of the flight - I was offered a job! Worked 2 years as a traffic reporter after that! Does pay off in the long run!

jellotor

It's entirely possible to get hired on as an editorial assistant or some such thing helping out at the assignment desk with little experience save for a good ear for radio traffic. These can sometimes be low-paid, high-stress jobs, however.

Calls to the assignment desk about breaking news are always appreciated...but my suggestion is not to *expect* a hat, mug or some other swag...if you want it, ask for it.

Go-24

jellotor said:
but my suggestion is not to *expect* a hat, mug or some other swag...if you want it, ask for it.

... how about a night on the town with the hot news anchor? :)

cristisphoto

Rog the Hot date LOL
You have do some Social Engineering.:lol:
I gues the Attitude of us monitors differs from region to region...
When I was a teen in GA having a scanner was no biggie..
Here in California folks thinks I'm a bank robber or something lol:roll:

ANd there are those who FOLLOW PD ,Fire etc..
SO when something happen lierally across the street fom my buildin and I walk outside.
Boy Do I get Eye F''ed by fire..:roll:
PD doesn't care either way lol

So yeah Marietta, GA is cool I reckon..
Boy do I miss GA
But Anyways
Warm Regards,
Crista

captclint

Mentor
Paid to Listen

Bentley said:
I recall a thread on here about news agencies paying people for giving them breaking news stories.
Thanks!
This may be what you heard.
http://www.1stresponderwirelessnews.com/webpages/home.aspx
There is a link looking for new dispatchers. What that would mean people who listen to the scanner and can report the local action.

Here's another one. Caveat Emptor
There is an ad about someone getting paid to listen to the scanner? There was a ad for someone with a scanner and A digital camera.
All they need was basic skills with the PC and e-mail. It didn't say any set hours to work just in the spare time, you can earn $5.00 per letter. (601)260-4658 ref no.101 or e-mail them at RCVACAN@yahoo.com

Last edited:

MrCheez

I got paid $50 for calling NBC and telling them the police were chasing a bear around in my town...they sent out a helicopter and everything.

NBC is the only one that I know that will pay for tips, but they have to be good. It's usually pretty circumstantial and I honestly believe I just got lucky...because I've tipped them numerous times since then and haven't gotten a cent.

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
Here in Las Cruces they call and bug us at Dispatch, about every hour they call "hello this is so-in-so with KFOX, anything going on?"

We can't say anyways if there is something going on, we have our PIO give them a call.

But the other day it was funny, "hello this is john with KFOX, we have news for you, the Rolling Stones are coming to town"

MGW_999

FYI...........Section 705 (47 USCA 605) states that it is unlawful to disclose the content of radio transmissions overheard unless they are amateur radio traffic, broadcasts to the public or distress calls. It is unlawful under this section to use traffic monitored for personal gain. This might include a tow truck operator going to accident calls heard over a scanner if a response has not been requested, or a taxicab driver jumping calls dispatched to other companies.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
jellotor said:
It's entirely possible to get hired on as an editorial assistant or some such thing helping out at the assignment desk with little experience save for a good ear for radio traffic. These can sometimes be low-paid, high-stress jobs, however.

Calls to the assignment desk about breaking news are always appreciated...but my suggestion is not to *expect* a hat, mug or some other swag...if you want it, ask for it.

Yes you have to ask for it. (Wink)

I have a nice CH golf shirt for a tip to a media outlet a few towns away, only cause I threatened to cut them off. :)

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I didn't get paid for a picture, but I did get the "courtesy of" as a byline! And the funny thing is it was published in the Albuquerque newspaper and I'm in Marietta, GA!

Status
Not open for further replies.