Getting (Re) Started in the Twin Cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketrob

Premium Subscriber
I am interesting in getting back into the 'scanning' hobby and have a few quick questions to make sure that I get started on the right track. For background, I have a Radio Shack Pro-96 scanner with a data cable for computer interfacing. Several years back, I briefly used the Win96 programming software, but only for the 30 day trial period. At the time, much of what I was listening to hadn't yet converted over to the digital trunked system.

Obviously, there is a lot of great information for me to start reading on the Wiki reference pages. In addition to that material, I have a few basic questions:

1.) Pro-96 Scanner itself - Is there any compelling reason for me to consider a radio upgrade right off the bat?

2.) Programming Software - It looks like Win96 and ARC96 are the software options for programming the Pro-96. Is one of these generally considered superior, or is this just a user preference question?

3.) Use of the Radio Reference Database - Is a premium subscription necessary or just the most convenient way of using the frequency database?

4.) Rebanding - Is this something I need to dig into for the Twin City Metro area, or are the frequency changes/shifts already accounted for in the Radio Reference database information?

Thanks for any help...it feels like I'm at the bottom of a steep learning curve.

rocketrob

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I am interesting in getting back into the 'scanning' hobby and have a few quick questions to make sure that I get started on the right track. For background, I have a Radio Shack Pro-96 scanner with a data cable for computer interfacing. Several years back, I briefly used the Win96 programming software, but only for the 30 day trial period. At the time, much of what I was listening to hadn't yet converted over to the digital trunked system.

Obviously, there is a lot of great information for me to start reading on the Wiki reference pages. In addition to that material, I have a few basic questions:

1.) Pro-96 Scanner itself - Is there any compelling reason for me to consider a radio upgrade right off the bat?

2.) Programming Software - It looks like Win96 and ARC96 are the software options for programming the Pro-96. Is one of these generally considered superior, or is this just a user preference question?

3.) Use of the Radio Reference Database - Is a premium subscription necessary or just the most convenient way of using the frequency database?

4.) Rebanding - Is this something I need to dig into for the Twin City Metro area, or are the frequency changes/shifts already accounted for in the Radio Reference database information?

Thanks for any help...it feels like I'm at the bottom of a steep learning curve.

rocketrob

1. In my opinion the Pro96 would be a good radio to get you started. Perhaps down the line you want to consider upgrading to a scanner that is more feature rich.

2. Software is not necessary, but it makes life alot easier. I would highly recommend using software. I have only had experience with the win96 program, so i guess that is what i would recommend.

3. A premium membership is not required. You can always copy the info over manually. But being able to automatically import it can save alot of time and also reduce the chance for errors in copying.

4. All the info in the database should be updated with the rebanding information.

Status
Not open for further replies.