Getting REAL frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Note....

You could also miss traffic by only using the one list method.

If ABC police is yacking all the time constantly and they are in the same list with xyz police, which you are very interested in, but has less activity, you are better off going with 2 lists.

That way, xyz police gets a chance to be heard. ABC police cannot monopolize the scan time.

This is a situation where two different people can have two different approaches. Ultimately what works best is like beauty - its in the eye of the beholder.

If ABC is yakking all the time, then XYZ won't be scanned whether its in another Department/Group or in another Favorites List. ABC has to not be yakking for the scanner to move along to another Favorites List or Department/Group.

Yes there are fewer button presses involved with toggling Favorites Lists Quick Keys compared to Department Quick Keys.

While Priority scanning on trunked systems isn't like conventional priority scanning, (usually no pre-emption), setting Priority ID scanning so that the XYZ police talkgroups are "priority" that could help the matter some.

marksmith

This is a situation where two different people can have two different approaches. Ultimately what works best is like beauty - its in the eye of the beholder.

If ABC is yakking all the time, then XYZ won't be scanned whether its in another Department/Group or in another Favorites List. ABC has to not be yakking for the scanner to move along to another Favorites List or Department/Group.

Yes there are fewer button presses involved with toggling Favorites Lists Quick Keys compared to Department Quick Keys.

While Priority scanning on trunked systems isn't like conventional priority scanning, (usually no pre-emption), setting Priority ID scanning so that the XYZ police talkgroups are "priority" that could help the matter some.
Not true.

Since the scanner will specifically check the system, only looking for xyz police, it will not be effected by the yacking of ABC police during this time slice of scanning.

If it's checking for xyz police at the same time it is checking for ABC police, which is always active, you will never hear xyz police.

You don't need to believe me, you can try it yourself. Once I found that it will catch more of the less active stuff on the system this way, (stuff i was missing), I specifically set up 5 different scanners this way, and hear a lot more other stuff on the system.

I don't do it with all scanners, but I am not interested in hearing the same stuff from all scanners.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

I have also tried doing what you suggest and I didn't get the same results. I found I was missing more than I received, or at least perceived I did.

So what I came down to was using Priority ID Scanning for those talkgroups that were of greater interest to me. As long as the "long winded" talkgroups stopped enough for the scanner to get back to monitoring the control channel, it would check for the "priority" talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.