Getting Started in Columbus Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkG1

Hi, I'm in Columbus, OH, and I'm interested in advice on scanner on which I can monitor Columbus Police and Fire. I understand that they use the MARCS system, so the scanner would have to have that capability. Thank you in advance to anyone who is able to assist me!

wbswetnam

The Whistler TRX-1 works well for me on the Arkansas AWIN system, plus it has DMR and NXDN digital modes right out of the box. The Uniden 436HP can receive DMR if you pay an extra $60, and does not cover NXDN at all. To be fair, both the Whistler TRX-1 and the Uniden BCD436HP are excellent units, but I am partial to the TRX-1.

MarkG1

Thank you

Thank you very much for the recommendation...I assume that this scanner will monitor all CPD Zones? Also, in reference to Columbus Fire, I am currently able to monitor the main dispatch channel on "broadcastify" or the "pulsepoint" app, but the audio quality is not that great; and you are not able to hear traffic from the medics or other equipment after they are dispatched; am I correct in assuming that with this scanner I will be able to listen to all of that traffic and that the audio will be better? Thank you for your assistance in answering my questions!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Yes, you will be able to hear everything except a few encrypted SWAT / Narc channels.

The volume on CFD 10 Fire has been low for the last few months. With your own scanner, you can increase the volume offset to make it louder (on a Favorite List). You can scan what you want and hold on channels as you wish.

You can move the scanner a little if you have a reception issue. Scanner feeds are provided by an immobile base scanner which can't adjust itself as signals change.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have both the TRX-1 and 436HP. Both are excellent scanners. However, for trunking systems with multiple sites, I find the 436HP (and 536HP) to be much easier (easier being a relative terms as it applies to any top end scanner these days) to program and turn off/on different sites IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.