Getting started what to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cole_gerhardt

Hello I am wanting to know what I need to look for in a scanner in order to be able to listin to VHF 150 MHz and what I believe they call apco p25 digital 800mhz. I would like to be able to monitor the Kansas highway patrol and the Kansas state interoperable radio system as well!

GrumpyGuard

Any scanner will allow you to listen to the uhf/vhf non-digital frequencies. In order to listen to Apco 25 or other digital modes you will need a scanner capable of receiving the digital mode.
There are several scanners on the market that can monitor digital modes. If you are looking at a scanner that is set up for the entry level person who does not want to take the time to program the scanner you can look at the Uniden HP-1 HomePatrol-1 Simple Program Scanner - Scanners at Uniden The Radio Shack PRO-197 RadioShack® PRO-197 39,000-Channel Digital Desktop Scanner - RadioShack.com Radio Shack also has a hand held scanner Pro 164 RadioShack® PRO-164 1000-Channel Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com Then there are the GRE scanners. The PSR 800 GRE America, Inc. - grecom scanner receiver, lcd modules, spread spectrum radio, wireless bridge, scanner antenna, scanner pre-amps. and the PSR 600 GRE America, Inc. - grecom scanner receiver, lcd modules, spread spectrum radio, wireless bridge, scanner antenna, scanner pre-amps. The Radio Shack scanners are made by GRE America.
Hope this helps.

The Radio Shack scanner do not come with the programing cable. This is an additional $35. Also the PSR 500/600 you will need to program using a number of programs available on the internet. These programs run about $35 each. Uniden also makes the 396xt http://www.uniden.com/scanners/bcd396xt-compact-apco-25-handheld-scanner/invt/bcd396xtg/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.