Getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilhunter

Hello I would like to get started in amateur radio how do I obtain a lisence and was thinking of buying a hand held to start out any suggestion would be helpful thank you

k6cpo

I started with a copy of "Ham Radio for Dummies" by Ward Silver. It's a very well written introductory text for anyone wishing to become an amateur radio operator.

You might also try to find a local club and attend one of their meetings. At my club we welcome anyone with an interest in amateur radio and they don't have to be licensed to become a member of the club.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Hello I would like to get started in amateur radio how do I obtain a lisence and was thinking of buying a hand held to start out any suggestion would be helpful thank you

As the other poster said, there are books or other online guides to help you get started. Before you can get on the air you must take and pass an exam and then be processed by the FCC, who will assign you a callsign and put you in the ULS database.

Unless you just have money to burn you might hold off on buying a radio until you have passed the exam and know you will be allowed to use it.

milkman21218

Kil hunter I think that a HT will not work very well for you because of your location in the mountains. A mobile 50 watt radio with a good antenna would be a little better for hitting more repeaters in near by towns. You will really enjoy the hobby more.

Status
Not open for further replies.