• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Getting the most from a CB Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borderland420

I am in the process of buying my first CB Radio and right now I am seeking insight from experienced CB users on how to have the most worthwhile time with one. Now I know that they are often used to give and receive emergency and weather alerts but I'm sure they must have numerous other uses as well. How do you find others that share the same interests as you and are pursuing the same things in the world? I've heard that two way radios can be used as lifelines too. So how do all of you get the most out of these for personal fulfillment?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A good antenna is #1. If you have a crap antenna, your useful coverage is going to be very small.

Since CB tends to be short range (reliably) finding others is hit or miss. With a good antenna you'll get better coverage.

Still, don't expect miracles. High noise floor and most of the "average" people have abandoned CB years ago. Finding people may be difficult and may require other resources. I've seen many posts on here were others are trying to arrange contacts with other CB users by asking them to go to a certain channel at a certain time/date and see if they can talk.

If you are really interested in having meaningful conversations via 2 way radio, you'd be much better served by amateur radio.

TheSpaceMann

Also, if you are getting a new CB radio, make sure to get one with SSB (sideband)! It increases your range and number of channels, and you will find an interesting bunch of people who use the sideband frequencies! :)

KC5AKB

Borderland both Mmckenna and TheSpaceMan offer good points
I am not sure how many folks you will find on CB in your area .
If you know of a cb shop or find one in your area go talk to the customers
about cb. Look up cb base antennas some of the brands are Maco, HyGain ,Hustler - Newtronics
Cubex , and Mosley for base antennas .There are lots more .
The Storm Spotters I know use ham radio / you can get local road conditions at times on the cb but need to be with in a couple of miles of the mobile giving them where as the hams use repeaters like the public service people do so you can hear them all over town . I like cb for certain things
Each type of radio has good and bad points. Welcome to the fun of radio!

KD8DVR

As always, Matt's info is correct.

My insight: unless you have buddies who are all gonna go in on cb stuff, you won't like it. All you'll hear are jokers trying to make ILLEGAL long distance contacts.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not indicate a claim of actual fact.

Rred

"Now I know that they are often used to give and receive emergency and weather alerts "
Not my specialty, but I think that applied, past tense, more in the 1970's than today. The REACT groups often used CB to monitor and assist motorists on highways and in the boonies, more so than in major cities. If you can find a REACT group, they can tell you more of what is being done today.

There are inexpensive weather radios with NOAA SAME local alerting these days, and those same alerts also push to cell phones with free software, so weather alerts...not really any need to those to be manually sent over CBs.

Similarly emergency aid has changed. Cell phones provide 911 service from the professionals in most of the country. In the boondocks, that may not work, but Boston ain't the boondocks.

If you want to participate in event or emergency support, I would suggest holding off that purchase. Contact a Boston ARES group. ARES is an ARRL program that nationally puts amateur radio operators (many with just a technician's license and an inexpensive radio) into an organized structure to support local charity events, storm shelter backup communications, and other event and emergency coordinations. More activity than you'll find on CB in the urban parts of the country.

FWIW.

TheSpaceMann

"Now I know that they are often used to give and receive emergency and weather alerts "
Not my specialty, but I think that applied, past tense, more in the 1970's than today. The REACT groups often used CB to monitor and assist motorists on highways and in the boonies, more so than in major cities. If you can find a REACT group, they can tell you more of what is being done today.

There are inexpensive weather radios with NOAA SAME local alerting these days, and those same alerts also push to cell phones with free software, so weather alerts...not really any need to those to be manually sent over CBs.

Similarly emergency aid has changed. Cell phones provide 911 service from the professionals in most of the country. In the boondocks, that may not work, but Boston ain't the boondocks.

If you want to participate in event or emergency support, I would suggest holding off that purchase. Contact a Boston ARES group. ARES is an ARRL program that nationally puts amateur radio operators (many with just a technician's license and an inexpensive radio) into an organized structure to support local charity events, storm shelter backup communications, and other event and emergency coordinations. More activity than you'll find on CB in the urban parts of the country.

FWIW.
You can find local R.E.A.C.T. teams here.... REACT International

SCPD

QRT
CB

#1 Buy a Cobra or President cb or modified 10 meter if you can swing it. (has more modes like SSB)
#2 Buy a K-40 or Wilson 1000 antenna
#3 Mount antenna on center of vehicle.
#4 Enjoy!

Copper Electronics is a nice place to start.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
CB channels

Sideband does not increase the number of channels. If you use a channel on sideband, and another person in the same area uses it for AM at the same time, neither conversation would be listenable.

TheSpaceMann

Sideband does not increase the number of channels. If you use a channel on sideband, and another person in the same area uses it for AM at the same time, neither conversation would be listenable.
However, it is possible to have 2 conversations on the same channel if one is on USB and another is on LSB.

AC9BX

Aside from using channel 19 while driving the best conversations I've had have been on sideband. That was a long time ago.
Please, no *power mic*, no add-on modulator, no echo, no beeps. A good microphone, speaking up and using good diction, a good antenna, and properly calibrated radio will perform better than any of that other non-sense.
My radio of choice, even as a base radio, was the Uniden PC122 (not the XL). Once it was up to temperature the sideband performance was quite good, very stable.
I'm not driving very much these days but if that changes, even being a licensed ham operator, I may well put a CB in the car. It has gotten me out traffic disasters a number of times and I've returned the favor.

TheSpaceMann

I am in the process of buying my first CB Radio and right now I am seeking insight from experienced CB users on how to have the most worthwhile time with one. Now I know that they are often used to give and receive emergency and weather alerts but I'm sure they must have numerous other uses as well. How do you find others that share the same interests as you and are pursuing the same things in the world? I've heard that two way radios can be used as lifelines too. So how do all of you get the most out of these for personal fulfillment?
You can read reviews and watch videos for a lot of CB radios on this website... CBRadioMagazine.com - The only online CB Magazine in the world

kc4jgc

However, it is possible to have 2 conversations on the same channel if one is on USB and another is on LSB.

Ehhh, not so much.... If stations are far apart then MAYBE that's true. However if two stations are relatively close then no. If four stations are on say ch 16 with two on USB and two on LSB and they're all local to one another they are only 2khz apart; they're still in each others' bandwidth. A part of the stations' signals on USB can be heard on LSB and vice versa. It won't be intelligible but it'll be noticeable. Not really a good idea to simply QSY from one sideband to another on the same channel when there's a QSO on one sideband in progress.

On the ham bands, the MINIMUM separation between stations in sideband mode is 3khz.

JayMojave

Hello B420: Its just like any thing else or any group you want to join in. Have to tune around the channels and see whos out there.

The local area usually has a local channel that the locals talk on, and usually have a get together once and in a while and normally open to anyone. Give them a call on the CB after finding the local channel. We have a weekly break feast that we all get together and meet new people. It helps if you can listen in and get a feel of the people that may show up.

Its always more fun to have a few in the CB Radio, and theres sometimes a few Hams that can help someone get their Ham License. But as a group there will be antenna raising parties then followed by a BBQ. And there will always be some that help out with radio and antenna installations.

Theres always someone putting up a antenna, or needing help with a radio or linear and such.

The local 4 wheelers group may be a good place to start, or even the Ham Radio group on the local 2 meter repeater.

Discussions who has the biggest station, radio, linear, or antenna will always be there. Lots of fun to listen in to the Big Boys. The local Coffee Shop is a given for locals sliding by to have a cup and yep yap about the radio stuff.

The local channel will have all kinds of up dates on weather and local events, giving info on what web site has what info. The CB radio crowd will not care about all the other services but its kind of like the local pipe line of current info. During severe weather I keep and ear on the 2 meter (144 to 148 Mc) local repeater and the local CB Channel, and the Weather Channel on TV so I know when I have to pick up my tools and such. Your mileage and conditions will be different but not a hole lot. Good Luck.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
You can find local R.E.A.C.T. teams here.... REACT International
Here in the Midwest, only 1 out of 8 listed groups are still active, and that one in Muskegon, MI is more ARES oriented than R.E.A.C.T., and who's members are all amateur operators.

There is one other in North Chicago (4815 - Chicago Metro REACT) that exists on digital paper, but since I know the contact person quite well I also know that the "Team" currently consists of one person, and he's more active in another organization: North Shore Emergency Association (NSEA) that is exclusively GMRS oriented.

TheSpaceMann

Ehhh, not so much.... If stations are far apart then MAYBE that's true. However if two stations are relatively close then no. If four stations are on say ch 16 with two on USB and two on LSB and they're all local to one another they are only 2khz apart; they're still in each others' bandwidth. A part of the stations' signals on USB can be heard on LSB and vice versa. It won't be intelligible but it'll be noticeable. Not really a good idea to simply QSY from one sideband to another on the same channel when there's a QSO on one sideband in progress.

On the ham bands, the MINIMUM separation between stations in sideband mode is 3khz.
I usually have little difficulty tuning in stations on USB when there were stations on LSB on the same channel. Often I've even been able to understand and copy sideband stations when an AM signal was present! Of course, it depends on how close the stations are to your QTH, the selectivity of your receiver, the antenna that you are using, etc. The signals from many stations that do come in in 11 meters, especially the distant ones, are relatively weak. Also if you are using a beam antenna, you can often zero in on the stations you want to QSO with, and knock down the ones that might cause interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.