GEWIN, latest site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

The database has a new GEWIN site listed as # 1000 in Canton with 5 800MHz frequencies. These freqs have been licensed to Cherokee County for at least a year or two. They are still licensed to Cherokee County. Did they decide to turn over to state to be a part of GEWIN? How did this become a GEWIN site and not Cherokee County?
Thanks in advance!
BG..

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
ButchGone said:
The database has a new GEWIN site listed as # 1000 in Canton with 5 800MHz frequencies. These freqs have been licensed to Cherokee County for at least a year or two. They are still licensed to Cherokee County. Did they decide to turn over to state to be a part of GEWIN? How did this become a GEWIN site and not Cherokee County?
Thanks in advance!
BG..

According to inside information received, Cherokee County plans on joining the GEWIN TRS within the next two years, maybe three at the most, depending on funding. Likewise, they have applied to the FCC for a new license. Moreover, the original idea was to construct their own TRS, but by joining GEWIN, they will save a lot of money in the long-run. Hopefully, other counties around Atlanta will do the same, rather than going with other vendors who specialize in proprietary non-P25 digital systems.

73's

Ron

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
p25

oh well i did not know they would join GEWIN this whole thing was planned for the whole metro atlanta but seems counties took it in own hands and get own systems

AndrewC75

Thanks for the info, Ron. Look forward to hearing more on this development. With all the trouble Cherokee is having funding their fire department, I'm surprised that replacing their radio system is a priority. On the other hand, Cherokee isn't the boonies anymore, and probably already needs to expand their radio options, so going to GEWIN in 2 or 3 years is probably a reasonable step to take.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Eventually, you will see Forsyth County join the system as well. However, no updated word on when Fulton County will make the changeover, but since they are using an older Type-IIi TRS, it probably won't be too much longer.

73's

Ron

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Would it not be prudent not to list Cherokee County in the GEWIN as they have not joined? Rumor isn't confirmed. Things may change and until a contract is signed . . . . . . .

AndrewC75

Agreed. I'd say that until a control channel pops online (and I check at least once a week since their licensed TRS frequencies are in my conventional Cherokee scan list), it should't be there. I think it likely that Cherokee won't go live until after rebanding, which makes the current frequencies irrelevant anyways. Similiarly, I suspect that another county (Forsyth, DeKalb, and Gwinnett come to mind) will come online before Cherokee does. DeKalb is already replacing radios, and all Forsyth has to do is join the net and reprogram their radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.