• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ghost Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

lomfs24

I have placed this in the Unication Forum because that is what I am carrying at the moment. But this problem has occurred on two different Motorola Minitor V's and now a Unication G1.

My fire dept is a small volunteer outfit. We have one long tone that tones us out for all calls. So the pagers are simply programmed with the freq. and the cap code. Recently, my Minitor V as well as my son's Minitor V would alert with the alert signal but there would be nothing but static afterwards, like you were holding down the monitor key. My department recently bought a bunch of brand new G1's and I am having the exact same problem with it as well.

From what I understand about pagers the pager would have to hear the frequency as well as the cap code on the frequency to trip the alert. But I know that my dispatch is not sending out pages.

The freq is 155.025 and the cap code is, I believe, 1202, this corresponds to 600.9. What could possibly be tripping the pager? I live in a fairly remote area of Montana so I don't believe there are any other agencies withing a couple hundred miles that have the same freq.

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
The way these pagers work is that they monitor the frequency and when they receive what they believe is the right tone, they alert and open so that you can hear the transmitted message afterwards. Interference on the frequency could be close enough to the tone that your department uses and trick the pagers into thinking that it hears the tone to alert to.

I experienced this when I had my VHF pager close to a computer. It took a while to figure out that was the issue. When I moved my charger father from the computer, It stopped false alerting ...and I also received a whole lot better.

Not sure if this is the same issue ...but if you move around the house with the monitor button pressed, you may find the static has a kind of hum in some spots and not others. If you move the pager away from the hums, you may notice an improvement.

Hope that is all this is.

DJ11DLN

We get those once in a blue moon when the band is open. Same frequency, same tone pair, department is about 100+ miles away. Pagers for the most part aren't equipped for PL tones, and those are interrupted when the pager tones are dropped anyway so that there won't be any harmonic interference.

It's aggravating, but there's not much that can be done about it. We have Minitor IV's and V's and Swissphone RE729's, it affects all of 'em.

KM4WLV

The good thing about the G1's (not sure about the G5) but you can set PL / DPL. Example, my county fire dispatch frequency is 154.2500 with a PL of 146.2. I had a fair amount of problems with my old Minitor 5 false alerting. That's a bit aggravating in the middle of the night. It pisses my wife off even more since she has to be up at 5 am for work. In the G1 PPS it's on same tab where you enter the frequency for each channel. Might be something to look into.

Status
Not open for further replies.