Gift for my husband - getting started from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetBlue

So folks,
For my apologies, as this is probably the most basic, most boring thread to start and/or read.
But I really need help.
My husband has been talking about get a radio for a long time.
He's aware that he needs training and a license.
Can someone help answer my questions so I can possibly get started on his birthday gift... with all the good bells and whistles a newbie might need?
Thank you!

1.) Training for a license (is one faster/better/easier than another)?
2.) While being trained, is there a manual AND a good etiquette manual as to how to listen/engage before he gets his license?
3.) What is the best radio for him? He's an iPhone kind of guy. He sucks at math. But he's also an analyst, so he's quite smart in his own way.
4.) Not sure if it helps you to know why he wants it. He's the most curious person I know so it would simply be out of curiosity. I can see him wanting to listen in on breaking news, finding people to discuss odd things with (ufos, Russia, string theory, etc.). And, as an added benefit (if something crappy were to happen to our country) contact our kid (we live in DC, she lives in NYC).
5.) Are there any questions - no! WHAT are the questions, I should be asking and have not (and might you have the answers for them?)
Thank you so much.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There are 2 different categories of questions you're asking:

Ham Radio:
Radio with transmit ability used to talk to other people about whatever. You do not need a license to own a radio or listen. But you do need the license to transmit.

Scanning:
A receive-only radio that can switch between many channels quickly, used to listen to police, fire, EMS, weather alerts, ham radio, and other things. Can be used for entertainment, keeping up with local news, and emergency preparedness and planning. When traveling, useful for hearing about accidents and other road hazards as they occur, so that you have greater opportunity to avoid them. You don't need a license to own a scanner, except for some states that require a ham license to operate a scanner in a vehicle.

Is one of these of greater interest than the other?

MetBlue

So see. I really am ignorant in this move!
I'm guessing that he could start out with the scanning kind and then segue to the transmitting kind - is it possible to get a scanning one that can be used as an upgraded one after training?
Thank you. You are very kind and thoughtful to answer this.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
If you are looking for something your whole family can use that way you aren't limited to one person being able to talk (unless you all study up and go get your Ham licenses) I would recommend GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) which allows essentially anyone in your family to use. The cost is $25 from what I'm looking at now, I got mine when the cost was $65 but they recently revised the rules and stuff and brought it down to $25.

I've only ever owned 1 scanner, reason why is the reception on it was horrible and I could barely receive my own cities radio system from inside the city! But when I had a radio programmed up to receive the city I could go a complete county over and still receive them, crystal clear.

Since then (only a couple of years ago) I'm sure scanners have improved, at least from what I've been reading recently. If that's the case get a good scanner (others can tell you what they'd recommend) and get one!

As far as talking all the way to NYC? That would require an amateur license and some expensive and quite complex equipment, on both ends and knowledge on how to adjust it as needed and such.

Hope you find a definite answer!

ipfd320

Banned
As far as talking all the way to NYC? That would require an amateur license and some expensive and quite complex equipment, on both ends and knowledge on how to adjust it as needed and such

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

motobella---not nesseceraly true---gmrs has been branching out across the country via internet and zello linking

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I would recommend GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) which allows essentially anyone in your family to use. The cost is $25 from what I'm looking at now, I got mine when the cost was $65 but they recently revised the rules and stuff and brought it down to $25.

GMRS license fee is $70 for a ten year term. The GMRS license covers everyone in the immediate family, whether living at the primary address or not. So, this would cover geographically scattered children.

It also covers aunts, uncles, cousins as well as in-laws. It does not however include out-laws... :lol:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
1.) Training for a license (is one faster/better/easier than another)?

Your questions and your husbands stated interests is leaning towards ham radio.

If he's interested in the art of radio, as well as just talking on it, that's the way to go.

2.) While being trained, is there a manual AND a good etiquette manual as to how to listen/engage before he gets his license?

There is an organization called the American Radio Relay League that published a variety of books and training materials. They're quite good, and can take someone from raw beginner to a pretty advanced state. ARRL.org.

There is an individual by the name of Gordan West who publishes training materials, more intended to get people past the tests. Thats pretty good, too, but less technical.

A bit of Google-fu will lead you to water.

3.) What is the best radio for him? He's an iPhone kind of guy. He sucks at math. But he's also an analyst, so he's quite smart in his own way.

Tough question. Ham radio really has something for everyone, so what the best radio is depends on what direction he wants to start with.

Keep in mind, you'll probably hesr a lot about "two meter FM" and "repeaters". The two meter part is an anachronistic term relating to the wavelength of the signal, and therefore the frequency. Just keep in mind, it's the lowest common denominator in ham radio, and the easiest and least satisfying way to get started. Caveat Emptor.

4.) Not sure if it helps you to know why he wants it. He's the most curious person I know so it would simply be out of curiosity. I can see him wanting to listen in on breaking news, finding people to discuss odd things with (ufos, Russia, string theory, etc.).

It helps. A ham license would be the way to go. If keeping in touch with the kids is part of that, the kids would have to get licensed too.

Your first logical stop is the ARRL bookstore on line.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
So see. I really am ignorant in this move!
I'm guessing that he could start out with the scanning kind and then segue to the transmitting kind - is it possible to get a scanning one that can be used as an upgraded one after training?

Not really. Some transmitting-capable radios (transceivers) have limited scanning capability, but typically will not cover many of the frequencies used by public safety agencies, for obvious reasons. Most dedicated scanners cover all public safety frequencies, and scan much faster (80 channels per second vs. 3-20).. The more advanced scanners have a nationwide database and GPS capability, so that you can travel anywhere in North America, and the scanner will automatically monitor local frequencies as you go. You're better off having separate units for scanning and talking

zz0468

QRT
Banned
As far as talking all the way to NYC? That would require an amateur license and some expensive and quite complex equipment, on both ends and knowledge on how to adjust it as needed and such

I have to take issue with this on several levels. That's NOT how you encourage newcomers to the hobby, and a modest ham station is neither "quite complex", nor is it expensive.

It CAN be both, but it doesn't have to be.

gmrs has been branching out across the country via internet and zello linking

At what point does it cease being "radio", and becomes "something other than radio"?

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
As others have stated, HAM radio has something for everybody. Quite often there are local HAM radio clubs that offer classes for licensing for free- the student must provide their own text. The standard is ARRL license manual.

There is a good on line "training" course called Ham test on line- it is a subscription and will help you get through the basics.

Good luck and stop back with more questions

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I would suggest getting a scanner to start out with You'll probably want to get one anyway, as it will enable you to hear things a ham or GMRS radio will not receive. That will get you some familiarity with what is out there; in addition to local police, fire, and EMS, you will be able to listen to the local ham repeaters and GMRS frequencies to see which community you're more interested in talking to.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

motobella---not nesseceraly true---gmrs has been branching out across the country via internet and zello linking

Sure, but why use that then when you could just use a phone? She stated "if something crappy were to happen to our country" presumably the internet would be down, thus Zello linking most likely wouldn't work. Hell the bands may be wacky on amateur too, I don't do HF but who knows in that scenario, all depends upon what happens. :p

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Might as well buy a mobile phone then, if you just want to talk to family.

Who says that family is all one may talk to? Here in the upper Midwest we have dozens of GMRS repeaters, and many GMRS licensed operators. Our local GMRS repeater easily has twice the daily traffic as our 2m and 70cm repeaters combined! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.