BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Giving myself a break..

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Decided to pull out my old trusty 396XT for a recent Arizona trip and was not disappointed. I have purchased both the 325P and 436 HP and with all the recent issues with the receive on this 436 HP, decided to put it away for a bit until some resolution is acknowledged by Uniden with the battery cover. Yes, I did notice some improvement with the foil tape, but no where as good reception as the 396XT. My primary listening is in the 460 Mhz which seems to be the 436 HP's downfall. The 325P's two batteries doesn't supply me with enough power to get through my day, but the 396XT seems to go one forever. Beside it being nice and compact, a stubby antenna and case makes this thing sturdy. If their ever was a chance this thing was upgraded for DMR, ProVoice and NXDN (Haha, wake up I'm dreaming!), I'd be selling off the other two.

I'm not sure what changes took place from the 396XT to 325P/436HP UHF reception, but it is noticeable. I don't do alot of DMR portable monitoring, so this works well for me. I'm not sure what's on Uniden's drawing board, but I sure hope something is in the works soon. Might have to explore Whistler products , since most of the monitoring isn't VHF anymore and the front-end overload issue won't be an issue. The TRX-1 is quite large though so probably be looking at the TRX-2 as a base to try out. Not there yet, but I am getting the itch...

Haley

Nice post-----I have been using some of my other models lately also. As a matter of fact I put the 436 up for a bit, and started using my 396xt and 346xt (also the 330) again. I have said it so much on these forums , some of you will probably go " here he goes again". BUT, the 396/346/330 family of scanners are my ALL TIME favorite models of any manufacturer ever. Now I like and use the 436, BUT I really wish the form factor (size, menu , speaker, backlight and so on) of the XT family had been used. Heck , if the 416XTHP (my hypothetical model name----numerically between the 396-436) had looked identical to the 396 and did P2 with possible upgrades----I would have been extremely pleased. I realize companies have reasons (and it's there right) to do what they want to, but instead of using the 125 case and adding the new insides ,to become the 325-----it would have been awesome to stuff it into the 396 case instead. I am such a huge fan of these models( 396/346/330), I am actually thinking about picking up a 396T (not XT- but T) on ebay. I like them that much. Anyway just wanted to chime in my support of an awesome scanner. Mike

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I know we're not the only ones. It feels as if though we're like dogs chasing our tails trying to figure out the reception issues with some of these newer models. Foil tape, spraying chemicals to increase reception is getting a little old.

A week ago I pulled out the 396XT from the box, popped in the batteries and like magic, all the reception issues on the 460Mhz frequencies were gone! Found my stubby antenna, put it in a leather case, and off I went. I'm sorry that this model is at it's end of life for upgrading, but it still is working well enough for my current use.

rcool101

Feed Provider
I agree with Haley....I bricked my 396T...(wrong wall wart)....It worked on batteries....(till I dropped it)..Now with fresh batteries it says...Illegal Voltage....I had no reservations spending 90.00$ to have it fixed....Off to Texas it went

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I have 2- HP-2 scanners and one 436. By far the HP-2 scanners are much better.

Reception wise, the portables 325P and 436HP took a downward turn on the UHF band that I primarily monitor. The UHF-T was no difference, but like I said it's very noticeable when I pulled the 396XT out. I wouldn't categorize any scanner as "bad", but for me monitoring the old analog CPD UHF 460Mhz. system, it's much improved with the 396XT.

bobmich52

Decided to pull out my old trusty 396XT for a recent Arizona trip and was not disappointed. I have purchased both the 325P and 436 HP and with all the recent issues with the receive on this 436 HP, decided to put it away for a bit until some resolution is acknowledged by Uniden with the battery cover. Yes, I did notice some improvement with the foil tape, but no where as good reception as the 396XT. My primary listening is in the 460 Mhz which seems to be the 436 HP's downfall. The 325P's two batteries doesn't supply me with enough power to get through my day, but the 396XT seems to go one forever. Beside it being nice and compact, a stubby antenna and case makes this thing sturdy. If their ever was a chance this thing was upgraded for DMR, ProVoice and NXDN (Haha, wake up I'm dreaming!), I'd be selling off the other two.

I'm not sure what changes took place from the 396XT to 325P/436HP UHF reception, but it is noticeable. I don't do alot of DMR portable monitoring, so this works well for me. I'm not sure what's on Uniden's drawing board, but I sure hope something is in the works soon. Might have to explore Whistler products , since most of the monitoring isn't VHF anymore and the front-end overload issue won't be an issue. The TRX-1 is quite large though so probably be looking at the TRX-2 as a base to try out. Not there yet, but I am getting the itch...

I have had No problems with the battery cover

That said, My 436 was too much of a PITA to program & it sat on my office desk for close to 3 yrs unused

I finally had a SD card customized for my area & it works fine ( I kept the original SD in case I ever traveled)

Used my 396t & it still works great after all these yrs

Reception for what I listen to is a wash between the 2, With a slight edge to the 436 for the audio

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I know we're not the only ones. It feels as if though we're like dogs chasing our tails trying to figure out the reception issues with some of these newer models. Foil tape, spraying chemicals to increase reception is getting a little old.

A week ago I pulled out the 396XT from the box, popped in the batteries and like magic, all the reception issues on the 460Mhz frequencies were gone! Found my stubby antenna, put it in a leather case, and off I went. I'm sorry that this model is at it's end of life for upgrading, but it still is working well enough for my current use.

i own two of the 396xt's. that is how much i like this scanner. if it did p2, would be amazing. we dont have much p2 here yet so no matter. i also love my 436hp, however. my real ?, where did u get the case that fits the 396xt? i need two of those badly. the ones i had read about were too tight, not a great fit. do you have a link? much appreciated.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I couldn't agree more about the 396T/XT. I have been jonseing to upgrade to a P2 capable scanner but I just can justify the cost/benefit to do so. I live in the north burbs of Chicago and almost all my local suburban PDs have gone P2 encrypted so upgrading won't help me. Fire and EMS locally is on the same system but they are currently P1 which the 396T does quite well. Additionally ISP is mostly still P1 and I can listen easily.
Additionally am listen to Civil air and whatever Milair I can pull in and the 396T does this pretty damn good. When in the car, I use the RH-96 which makes using the 396T mobile quite nice.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
i own two of the 396xt's. that is how much i like this scanner. if it did p2, would be amazing. we dont have much p2 here yet so no matter. i also love my 436hp, however. my real ?, where did u get the case that fits the 396xt? i need two of those badly. the ones i had read about were too tight, not a great fit. do you have a link? much appreciated.

https://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Soft_Leather_Case_with_Swivel_p/01-581010.htm

Stubby Antenna:

https://www.amazon.com/Amateur-Tran...79195&sr=8-1&keywords=stubby+scanner++antenna

Last edited:

k3fs

I agree about the 396XT. It is one of the best radios I have had. The small size is a bonus. My 396XT is getting more use now. Even with the battery door fix, it is still a better receiver, and has some features that are missing on the 436. The 396XT is a nice solid radio. For that reason alone, I gave the 396XT a complete exterior redo. I want to keep that radio around for a lot longer. The 396XT has control channel output, that with some programs can be used for anything from P25 to LTR analysis

I unfortunately jumped on the 436 sooner than I should have. I needed P2 for when I go out and see my dad. The promise of the advanced analysis features of the Home Patrol Extreme sealed it. I had planned on using it to receive the P2 system, and planned to do some analysis, without the need of a computer. There is no control channel output, and still no analysis features as were announced. Another radio and computer still need brought along.

My ideal scanner would be the 396XT updated for P2, and able to do the other modes in the same case as the 396XT and still using three cells.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
To werinshades, your original post just about says it all. I use my 396xt almost 90% of the time with great results. I also gave a 125at for a lot of the old vhf/uhf stuff around St Louis. Mt 996xt works ok for the 700/800 trunked systems but lacks on vhf terribly. Almost deaf on vhf no matter which of the six or so antennas I have used.

I too would trade in or sell some old units if Uniden could fix problems with their "flagship" scanners. Too bad they don't 'act' like flagship scanners.

And as you stated maybe (ha ha) maybe there is something new in the works soon. If so, good. If not my interest in this hobby will continue to fade as it has for the last few years with all the issues the new scanners have had. Uniden seemed to come up with something new when what they had was working perfect. Their replacement was a step backwards.

Like Bruce Springsteen sang....'One step forward, two steps back".

Have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.