Giving up HF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
. It appears to me that it's almost all contesters and ragchew about 'life'. Sure you have a few nets and some digital but not much else.
IQUOTE]

You could say the same for VHF and UHF. I mostly stick with VHF and UHF. I will jump in the middle of a HF Contest and make some contacts. I will also stay up late sometimes trying to get the rare DX Station or a Stateside Station I need. Most of the times you will find me doing 2 meter Dx or public safety dx with my ham radio antennas.

Don't give up on HF just yet. I have listed during Hurricane Katrina and heard some people stuck on the roof with the water raising up . All on HF Ham Bands . I have even heard a boat asking for help on 14.300 the Mairtine Net. On HF Ham Bands as well. I have even heard a Canadian Military Plane going down to Hatti full of items after the earthquake on HF Utility Bands.

HF is where all the action is when something happens in the world. Sometimes it does get boring listening to someone talk about there SWR or signal report. Just part of it. That is when I tune the dial. Try AM Radio DXing with your radio. You may fall in love with that. There is so much out there to explore on HF.

PrimeNumber

You could say the same for VHF and UHF. I mostly stick with VHF and UHF. Don't give up on HF just yet.
HF is where all the action is when something happens in the world. Sometimes it does get boring listening to someone talk about there SWR or signal report. Just part of it. That is when I tune the dial. Try AM Radio DXing with your radio. You may fall in love with that. There is so much out there to explore on HF.

^^^ Well put. I enjoy HF and 2m both a lot – it all depends on what's going on and what I feel like doing. No mistake about it though, HF is where the real action (sometimes) is.

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
The Seasons of your life are always changing. Don't toss out that HF rig just yet. When I got licensed in the late 80's I ended up getting really involved in 2m Packet radio. We had laptops in our cars way before the cops did :) and could "text" each other in those pre-internet days. Nationwide networks of nodes and digipeaters, PBBS's, DOS-gates, some real cool stuff. Then I got into VHF/UHF repeater building, linking, voting receivers, etc great experiences. Around the same time frame that sunspot cycle was awesome, so I did lots of 6m SSB contacts. VHF contests up on Mt Greylock with the W2SZ was fun to visit. Did a lot of VHF contesting myself. I did enjoy 10m too those days but the VHF/UHF stuff hooked my interest. The 6m side of my TS-680 got way more use than the HF side.

But now I have kids and family, shuttling kids after school, homework after supper, yeah life changed. HF is now becoming more interesting to me. You can do a lot of fun HF stuff, even 80m with just wire dipoles. There are some fun local guys that get on 10m SSB in evenings, I'm sure there are more in other cities and towns. And believe me the chatter is not just about rigs and antennas. Heck I've even been brushing up on my CW, QRP seems like it would be fun.

Ham radio isn't just about one mode or band. I've always been more of an electronics tinkerer, the hobby is full of opportunities for that. But also really good operators. Some non-technical hams taught me an aweful lot about traffic handling, good protocol, procedures, etc. The least technical ham I know can copy CW at over 45 WPM and have a chat with you at the same time! Great hobby.

wbswetnam

Some hams here have made the comment that to work HF you have to have a large-ish antenna. Not so, if you work just 10 meters. The bad thing about 10m is that it isn't "open" on a reliable basis like 20m or lower bands. But it does seem to pop open every few days or so and that is when you can make the best contacts. I had a PSK31 QSO yesterday with an operator in Argentina and a few days before that a SSB QSO with one in southern Chile while running only 50W of power. My antenna for 10m? An end-fed sloper dipole, 33' long, the higher end just 20' up in a tree and the lower end on top of a 10' PVC mast, where it connects to a 9:1 unun. If you have the money and the real estate to have a huge antenna farm, that's great, but you can have a lot of fun and make a lot of contacts, and have real conversations (not just hi/bye/73) with a relatively small, simple antenna on 10m.

Oh, and by the way... 28.000 to 28.500 is open to technicians. I've had PSK31 and SSB QSOs on 10m with several hams who only had technician licenses.

Last edited:

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
...and sometimes I just plain old listen on HF. Like in the mornings, I get up early (4:30am typical, EST) and listen to the guys on 3940 Transcontinental Net while I drink my coffee and check the news online. Seems like a good bunch of guys, they check in every morning up and down the east coast, and elsewhere. They usually give a simple wx and temp report and an informal. It's a regular group usually so you get an idea of what weather conditions are like, somewhere else besides your own backyard. Some days band conditions aren't so great to all areas, so someone else will help relay for the net control. Great way to start the day with a bunch of guys that seem to get a long, and do something that has survived a few decades.

AC2OY

Well...I just turned 50 and I have been studying for extra,contiplating of a smaller call. I also recently purchased a house and can't wait to get a HF rig. The though of making a contact further than a few miles away facinates me!! Who knows maybe you will change your mind.

PrimeNumber

Some hams here have made the comment that to work HF you have to have a large-ish antenna. Not so, if you work just 10 meters.

I agree! Even a 20m inverted V –*or better yet, a 40/20 trap – can be set up in a relatively small back yard. I'm having a lot of fun with that setup lately. 20' of PVC pipe and a few 550 cord guy lines to hold the feed point up and you're in business.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Some hams here have made the comment that to work HF you have to have a large-ish antenna. Not so, if you work just 10 meters. The bad thing about 10m is that it isn't "open" on a reliable basis like 20m or lower bands. But it does seem to pop open every few days or so and that is when you can make the best contacts. I had a PSK31 QSO yesterday with an operator in Argentina and a few days before that a SSB QSO with one in southern Chile while running only 50W of power. My antenna for 10m? An end-fed sloper dipole, 33' long, the higher end just 20' up in a tree and the lower end on top of a 10' PVC mast, where it connects to a 9:1 unun. If you have the money and the real estate to have a huge antenna farm, that's great, but you can have a lot of fun and make a lot of contacts, and have real conversations (not just hi/bye/73) with a relatively small, simple antenna on 10m.

Oh, and by the way... 28.000 to 28.500 is open to technicians. I've had PSK31 and SSB QSOs on 10m with several hams who only had technician licenses.

Even a 10 meter antenna is too big for my liking. If I can hold it in my hand and shove it in a bag with some cable, then it works for me lol.
Uhf and even 900 mhz are my favorites. :cool:

n9zas

Smaug

Lots of variety here.

I asked a similar question over on the QRZ.com fora, and the answers were almost universally: "I spent most of my time on HF, and just use VHF/UHF in the car during the commute."

Around here, (Chicago suburbs) people sign off by saying: "Well, I'm where I need to be, so I'll catch you later." as if there was no value to them in the conversation other than to pass the time. Like watching a sit-com or something. That's disappointing to me. I like to get to know people, and make friends, when I can. It's hard to do these days.

As for me, I'm a Tech only. I have a tri-band HT (Kenwood TH-F6A) and a dual band mobile. (Kenwood TM-V71A) I just recently sold my shack-in-the-box, like your Yaesu. Mine was the predecessor, the FT-100D. I kind of regret it now, as I will almost certainly get into HF when I get a house. Only HF mobile is practical from an apartment.

I'm also one of those guys with a busy family life. Divorced with a 2 year old from that marriage part-time. Remarried, with a 10 year old full time. Wife's a Chinese immigrant whom we're slowly getting through the system. Without neglecting family, The only real time I have for ham radio is mobile and the odd portable operation, on VHF and UHF.

Here's a tip for the other busy family guys: Get a set of FRS/GMRS radios for the family. Even if they don't pique any further radio interest, they can be quite useful when shopping, (you can split up efficiently) while hiking (you can split up) and going to other kinds of things like amusement parts. Heck, I'm even thinking of getting a set for my Mom and brother, to save her having to take stairs to talk to him, or run across the yard to reach him while in the garage. Then, when the range limitation kicks in, you can set the hook by saying something like: "Yeah, this is a bit limiting, compared to ham radio. Too bad you don't have your license...we could talk MILES away, even when cell service is down or inadequate..."

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
Getting FRS/GMRS radios for the family is a good idea. They can be useful as your examples demonstrate, but also they introduce the idea of radio communication to a younger generation (that is solely being fed smartphones as the only way free people can communicate with each other, but is far from "free"). Being able to simply pick up a radio, push a button, and instantly talk to someone on the other end is a big deal (if you've never seen it before). Not having to worry about cell service, going over my data limit, texting while driving, etc. If there is strong enough interest, yes introducing ham radio will be a great next step.

As I mentioned before, everyone goes thru different seasons of life. Was real active in my 20's and 30's, did some cool VHF/UHF stuff (packet, repeater builds, ATV, RACES/ARES work) but now family life takes priority. but that's no reason to ditch the hobby for good. We've come thru the kid and family stages too, we've survived it and you will too :) When I was in my 20's older hams would often say that it's normal for hams to ebb and flow in and out of being active. Now I know that to be true. As you become more stabilized so will your living situation, and so will your radio hobby. I did all sorts of VHF/UHF stuff years ago that now I find a lot of fun re-discovering the HF bands. I even have fun just tuning AM broadcast stations in the mornings, just like I did when I was a kid in the early 70's. Don't write something off for the future because you can't make it happen in the present.

I just remembered this, true story, that when my daughter was born she was a "colicky" baby. Healthy otherwise but at the newborn stage she just did not like to sleep. Certain noises would calm her I found, and one just happened to be HF SSB chatter! Exasperated one night I had her in my arms and went down to the hamshack, figuring since none of us are getting any sleep I might as well find something to occupy the time. 1am I'm tuning around 80m phone and just listening to some OM's ragchewing...she stops crying...her eyes open and is not sure what to think about all this DOnald Duck sounds...but nonetheless it captured her attention. SO I'd do this some nights just to calm her enough so she could (sometimes) get to sleep. I've read where "colick" is a possible immature nervous system (not gas like we were all told) and having some stimuli like this can help...who knew?! To this day she likes to still come down in the shack and see what I'm doing. Good enough reason for me to have held on to my HF equipment all these years.

K8cpa-chuck

Pardon me for butting in. But....

there's nothing like the feeling of sending a CW, PHONE or Digital signal into a wire and snagging a contact, like IH9YMC who is on Pantelleria island, which is 4806.3 miles from my QTH.

I did that this morning on 28.003. with 150 watts, on a Cobra Ultra Lite Senior, (Cobra UltraLite Antennas - The Alternative Multi-Band Solution - Home Page)

Here's my antenna setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt-qMoHAbIQ

Try that on VHF/UHF without a huge antenna array.

Smaug

Thanks for that great, heart-felt reply, KB2HPW. My daughter was colicky too. For her, the trick was motion, the swing really helped. But I admit, I didn't have HF SSB to play for her.

I'll take your advice to heart, and I hope the OP will too.

K3YGX

I've been licensed since '67 - I've spent most of my time on HF -- as of late I have been on 2 meters with very little activity except for my local club net - where I live I can't put up any antennas and have been on HF during field day the last several years.....I really miss it....I am primarily a high speed CW op and
even though I only get to operate once a year, I am still the clubs main CW op.....I like contests, DXing
and QSOs -- when I was a kid I 'lived' on 40 meters.....besides CW is the only language you can speak with a mouth full of food and still be understood....there is so much more on HF than could ever be done
using line of sight - there's the whole world on a variety of bands any time of day --

my dos centavos

di dah di dit dit di da dah

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
I remember a couple years ago working a ham in Alaska on 10m USB. Just happened to be home during the weekday, which is odd enough, hamshack is in basement right next to door to garage. I just happened to turn on 10m (28.495) and leave door open, going between garage and basement, figured what the heck leave the rig on. Well wouldn't you know I started hearing some chatter...took a minute to fine tune a bit...hey that guy is in Valdez, Alaska! I only have a short CB vertical for a 10m antenna (still do) but with only the 100w from the rig was able to work him. band conditions obviously were a big factor but that was still cool.

Typical HF contacts for me. No big amps, just 100w TS-680. Wire dipoles in trees, that CB vert, nothing fancy. I do have some Hamsticks, 40m (dual hamsticks, with the dipole bracket) that I have used and work ok. I've even done 10m dipole in the attic with great results.

there is a guy in the club who has had great success making these wire verticals in trees on his property. He'll pull up a wire straight up a tree. then lay lots of ground radials on the ground. Of course he has to make sure the radials aren't a safety hazzard in the yard. But it proved to me you don't need lots of acres necessarily. Running wire dipoles in white PVC pipes, and positioning creatively on the house/property, can make good use of a small lot.

Jaxco

I've been licensed since '67 - I've spent most of my time on HF -- as of late I have been on 2 meters with very little activity except for my local club net - where I live I can't put up any antennas and have been on HF during field day the last several years.....I really miss it....I am primarily a high speed CW op and
even though I only get to operate once a year, I am still the clubs main CW op.....I like contests, DXing
and QSOs -- when I was a kid I 'lived' on 40 meters.....besides CW is the only language you can speak with a mouth full of food and still be understood....there is so much more on HF than could ever be done
using line of sight - there's the whole world on a variety of bands any time of day --

my dos centavos

di dah di dit dit di da dah

That's the beauty of this hobby, there's usually a segment of the hobby that is a perfect fit for each of us. I have friends that are 100% digital, some that are echolink fanatics, some that are into the data segment, one that is hung up on EME...

I am a VHF nut, just because that is what I have the most time for. I pop in to HF now and then but I swear if I have another QSO start with asking me about the weather....POW! LOLOL

I am starting to learn cw again after nearly 30 years since my last feeble attempt at it. I must say it is going far better this time.

73!

K3YGX

kb2hpw

I would try to make temp antennas where I am but I just renting a room, while I am waiting on a house I am trying to buy.
If I get it, there are no restrictions and I can do what I want. I have a TS830.
I noticed that my "cw" at the
bottom of the page was crammed together - it should be di dah di dit-----dit----di da dah

Jaxco

good for you -- cw is more fun than texting any day of the year and faster too....once
your speed is up where you don't have to copy anything on paper, it is even better,
and WX reports are just part of it, just like a sig report, QTH, rig, power, and antenna
it lets you know how the band is doing and how your station is doing too.....

73's all
(I'm glad I found this forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.