Giving Up. Will pay 50 Bucks to Program My 800.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourAlarm

Premium Subscriber
Spent too many hours since joining Apr. 17th reading, installing, then resetting scanner trying to get this thing to scan the few channels I'm interested in (probably 8) without scanning every agency from Houston to Lubbock. I'm either too dense or my brain too small to figure it out no matter how much stuff I read here.

There's 50 bones going to anyone smarter than I about these matters to swing by the shop - Galleria area, Houston - (or send a programed card) and do your magic. Paid to have my Motorola UHFs set up ten years ago and now that they're obsolete so I need to get these 800s done.

Youse guys live to monkey and tweak this stuff. Me, I just want a radio I can turn on and leave alone for ten years without having to get a Masters degree in programming first.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
If you are programming a PSR 800, do not use the zip code, city, or county method. They will pick up way too much. The standard method is slower but gives you far more detailed control oveer ehat you select. If you can be specific, I am also willing to help.

FourAlarm

Premium Subscriber
Here's the deal. Been providing a Houston Fire radio feed for years via Motorola HT1000 but now the digital conversion has me grounded. From my limited understanding of radio stuff they're on TEXWARN / P25 something or other and the GRE PSR-800 should do the trick. Neat. So I picked up 2 units, one for the stationary Internet feed and one for going mobile.

Zip code setup was a disaster. Selecting specific local agency (Houston Fire) was no better. So now it scans everything. Locking out 'junk' channels takes forever and they repopulate when the unit's turned back on. Downloading freq list & setting up via software was a one way trip to Frustration Island without the Hula dancers.

Bouncing between trying to program on the unit itself and then through the software have all been massive failure. Youtube videos weren't beneficial. RR has been somewhat helpful but most advice seems to be "read this Sticky" or "follow the instructions linked here". Yeah, well, done all that reading and still not any closer to listening. So 50 bucks just about covers the 20 hours I've wasted jacking around with this stuff. I want to eat a grapefruit at breakfast and not have to farm an orchard for 2 years to be able to do it.

SCPD

QRT
idea

zip code can work if you make the zip code the TOWN you wanna monitor and set range to 1 miles. Also shut off service types like Dpw and stuff u dont want.I sent you a PM.
Heres step by step no zipcode,please erase scanner before you do this: and update yer database with gre software then:
1.turn on scanner.
2.Press MENU
3.arrow your way down to browse library
4.hit SEL
5.pick United states hit SEL
6.scroll with down arrow to TEXAS
7.hit SEL
8.select AGENCIES
9.hit SEL
10.select Department of Public safety
11 hit SEL
12 arrow right to your area (REGION 2 HOUSTON)
13 select DPS Houston
14 hit SEL
15 hit left arrow til u get to data types
16 at Data types select counties
17 hit SEL
18.go to D for DALLAS
19 hit SEL
20 arrow down to HOUSTON
21 hit SEL
22 go to Categories
23 hit SEL
24 select Houston county hit SEL
25 hit or tick the box off that says Houston County by hitting SEL (this contains fire)
26 arrow out of this once its checked and arrow LEFT to SCANLISTS
27 now select the SCANLIST you want this info to go into
28 if you dont it will select the default scanlist
29 DONE.

My advice is to shut off all unused Scanlists that you are not using ,makes it scan and load faster

FourAlarm

Premium Subscriber
Following the Fred Astaire footprints provided and pasted them on the floor in an attempt to dance a Do-si-do with the radio.

Houston MetroLift got loaded (now there's a hotbed of excitement for ya) and maybe the Houston Fire channels are in there somewhere but I'll stumble across that missing Malaysia airliner before I come across anything fire related here. The radio's hooked to the computer presently in an attempt to program it by intuition and logic using the RR download file. I'll have to get a bigger bottle of Scotch if I'm going to spend anymore time with this.

SCPD

QRT
dang

Following the Fred Astaire footprints provided and pasted them on the floor in an attempt to dance a Do-si-do with the radio.

Houston MetroLift got loaded (now there's a hotbed of excitement for ya) and maybe the Houston Fire channels are in there somewhere but I'll stumble across that missing Malaysia airliner before I come across anything fire related here. The radio's hooked to the computer presently in an attempt to program it by intuition and logic using the RR download file. I'll have to get a bigger bottle of Scotch if I'm going to spend anymore time with this.

Im gonna translate that into a ?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

FourAlarm,
I can't be of too much help, since for one, I don't own the PSR-800, and second, I'm in Dallas, not the Houston area.

I would second the suggestion of fourthhorseman. Use the "Report thread" link (the red outlined icon in the upper right of the post screen), to 'report' the thread, asking that it be moved to the Texas Forum, where someone more local to you will be more likely to see it.

However, you might get a quicker response from a Houston Metro user of the same scanner if you make a request on the HoustonScan Yahoo group.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
LMAO

Sir, I feel for you regarding the programming of your radio. Since I don't know a PSR 800, I cannot assist. However, I could not help getting on her & telling you I nearly spit my coke across the room when I read your posts. Oh, man, you're funny!

Hope you get that bad boy working.

If you get things programmed for Houston, I hope you read the various posts related to this system, particularly the TxWarn P25 TDMA for HPD & other agencies.

From what I gather, even with a Phase II scanner, some people are still having decoding issues with this system. Hence, I'm going to drop this link for you to review in case you haven't. Many informed listeners have made this one of the most informative threads I've ever read. Yes, there are some confused people her, but the voice of wisdom eventually comes through. I suppose you could search this thread by looking for PSR 800. http://forums.radioreference.com/te...forum/230457-city-houston-project-25-trs.html

Good luck!

Last edited:

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
PSR-800

Send me a private message with exactly what you want programmed into the PSR-800. I'll work up a file and e-mail it to you so you can upload it to the radio.

Les

Spent too many hours since joining Apr. 17th reading, installing, then resetting scanner trying to get this thing to scan the few channels I'm interested in (probably 8) without scanning every agency from Houston to Lubbock. I'm either too dense or my brain too small to figure it out no matter how much stuff I read here.

There's 50 bones going to anyone smarter than I about these matters to swing by the shop - Galleria area, Houston - (or send a programed card) and do your magic. Paid to have my Motorola UHFs set up ten years ago and now that they're obsolete so I need to get these 800s done.

Youse guys live to monkey and tweak this stuff. Me, I just want a radio I can turn on and leave alone for ten years without having to get a Masters degree in programming first.

FourAlarm

Premium Subscriber
No Success Yet

Still deaf on the scanner programming stunt. Could have done it by now if I got the double digit IQ I wanted for Father's Day but the kids disappointed me once again.

I keep getting tons of junk freqs that are of no interest that must be deactivated. Program. Fail. Reset radio. Try again. Close to konking a FF having lunch on the head and running off with his unit.

There's a RR stream listed here with additional channels so I know it can be done but by it will need to be by someone else smarter than me.

N8IAA

Still deaf on the scanner programming stunt. Could have done it by now if I got the double digit IQ I wanted for Father's Day but the kids disappointed me once again.

I keep getting tons of junk freqs that are of no interest that must be deactivated. Program. Fail. Reset radio. Try again. Close to konking a FF having lunch on the head and running off with his unit.

There's a RR stream listed here with additional channels so I know it can be done but by it will need to be by someone else smarter than me.

Are you using the software that came with the radio? It makes it a bunch easier than trying by hand.
One of the great things about the software, is that you can update the database, and updated the firmware and DSP.
Have you done any of that?
Making up the Scanlists, and putting them where you want.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.